Spectrum goes all streaming

Other providers have done similar stuff. Like WOW is offering YouTube TV as their TV service now, SparkLight fka CableONE & Blue Ridge Cable are also offering streaming boxes in lieu of cable

Is this a new trend?
Well, they used to sell AppleTVs. I am guessing this new model allows them to target advertising better, and some people might actually sign up for the monthly fee for the box instead of buying it outright.

Other providers have done similar stuff. Like WOW is offering YouTube TV as their TV service now, SparkLight fka CableONE & Blue Ridge Cable are also offering streaming boxes in lieu of cable
Frontier also killed their Tv Service.

Verizon Fios is only offering YTTV for new customers.

Would you be surprised if Comcast & COX followed suit?
Rumors I hear from work, planning.

There is a big hint in the article about who designed the box.

Main reason is get TV off the main line, so to create more bandwidth for broadband.

here is a story about Comcast and Charter’s broadband plans-

Reactions: BLC1962
Would you be surprised if Comcast & COX followed suit?
From the article

"The Xumo device is the result of a partnership between Charter Spectrum and Comcast, the nations two largest cable companies. Both have made efforts to transition into the streaming TV spaces in recent years, bringing smart features to cable boxes and adding TV streaming services that offer most of their traditional cable content on most smart TV platforms."

It is launching on Spectrum first, but Comcast customers will be getting it as well.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
From the article

"The Xumo device is the result of a partnership between Charter Spectrum and Comcast, the nations two largest cable companies. Both have made efforts to transition into the streaming TV spaces in recent years, bringing smart features to cable boxes and adding TV streaming services that offer most of their traditional cable content on most smart TV platforms."

It is launching on Spectrum first, but Comcast customers will be getting it as well.
Even more-

The Xumo Box is a rebranded Flex but will be sold in Walmart and other stores in late 2023, as reported by Cord Cutters.

I tried the Flex Box when I had Comcast back in Michigan, it is the biggest POS streaming box I have ever tried.

It was free to me and not even worth that, slow, locked up, apps would not launch, everything that could be wrong with it was wrong with it.

I haven't kept up with the cable boxes lately, but Cox has been deploying IPTV only Contour mini's for a while. My nephew had it 3-4 years ago before they moved and switched to YTTV and BTC Fiber. Cox still has a lot of QAM boxes in the field along with some cable card TiVo's. They are doing major system upgrades in the Tulsa Metro installing brownfield fiber and high splits. I was surprised last year when they ran fiber through my neighborhood.

Windstream announced they were going to wire 95% Broken Arrow with fiber several years ago and I still haven't seen squat from them, yet Cox unannounced started boring and running fiber last year through many neighborhoods and I think has more fiber around here now than Windstream. Unfortunately, they know they are pretty much the only game in town for most of us and still nickel and dime us with data caps on fiber unless you happen to be in a neighborhood with competition from Windstream, BTC or ATT fiber.

Well, they used to sell AppleTVs. I am guessing this new model allows them to target advertising better, and some people might actually sign up for the monthly fee for the box instead of buying it outright.
spectrum still sells the apple tv. id'e go that route before using there box atleast you own it once it's paid off

Well, there is what the news reports and then there is what Customer Service tells you. Neither is overly reliable these days.
Hi there. Xumo boxes can be purchased outright for $60, or customers can pay $5/per month. With the $5 monthly charge you have the unit replaced for free if something goes wrong-- at any point you can convert the $5/per month plan and purchase the unit. Hope this clears that up!

Hi there. Xumo boxes can be purchased outright for $60, or customers can pay $5/per month. With the $5 monthly charge you have the unit replaced for free if something goes wrong-- at any point you can convert the $5/per month plan and purchase the unit. Hope this clears that up!
Thanks! That's what I read in news reports, so it is nice to know for sure.

Reactions: Ask_Spectrum
From the article

And Cox licenses the tech from Comcast so expect them to do it too.

• Wow
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
And Cox licenses the tech from Comcast so expect them to do it too.
The rumor around work is Cox is thinking about getting out of video, they are now way under 3 Million subs, not making enough from it.

What will their business subs do? I was in Williamsburg, Virginia 2 months ago, they are in Cox territory and the resort I stayed at uses Cox, what will they do?