More Cable Channels are about to end due to cord cutting

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
As I posted before, the RSNs was just the beginning, more channels are on the endangered list due to cord cutting.

IMG_1041.jpeg

Has anyone noticed, there is no mention of the possibility of prices going down with Providers, even with the loss of channels.

No one will miss any of those crap channels that were only created to milk money out of subscribers and sell more cheap commercials while airing reruns.
Do you mean the almighty bundle.

And yes, I have been complaining about it for some time, did we ever need 3 FX Channels, 4 Disneys, 2 ESPN, 2 Fox Sports, etc, etc

Even today, with all those channels and even less new content, Providers still had the yearly price increase, some a couple of months early.

Reactions: TheKrell
I’ll really get upset if they eliminate the Partridge and a Pear Tree!

Was the beginning of the end when it was rebranded Syfy :oldlaugh

A lot of the content on these channels will just resurface elsewhere in their parent portfolio, think channel retirements are going to be a new normal for a bit though.
SciFi was rarely as good as it could have been, but when it was, it was great. That said, I haven't watched anything on it since The Expanse moved to Amazon.

Thought those were the Viacom channels...

Anyway, what's been going on with the Science Channel? It used to have a lot of new shows, now it's all regurgitation. The Discovery crime channel seems to still be OK.

Thought those were the Viacom channels...

Anyway, what's been going on with the Science Channel? It used to have a lot of new shows, now it's all regurgitation. The Discovery crime channel seems to still be OK.
New content production has pretty much stopped for a lot of channels, not making enough in per sub fees and advertising to support.

Some channels still has inventory of content yet to be aired.

For example, channels like Freeform, all future new content scheduled to be made , all canceled.

Commercials revenue is way down on Broadcast/Cable Channels , heavily discounted to sell slots, Advertising has moved to streaming because of the inexpensive pricing ( especially on FAST services) and able to target.

The only programming on right now, that is not having to discount Ads….NFL.

They can all go and good riddance. At one point in time TCM was a favorite but with all the foreign language junk sprinkled with 1980s and 1990s B movies added to current media school thesis flicks they have completely lost their way. When they do show an old classic it's the same movies over and over again. For instance, how often have they shown the Thin Man series this year? Four times by my count. The Crosby/Hope road pictures also four times and another repeat is scheduled today. I already miss what they used to be so if they disappear it won't break my heart.

Just a small correction on the number of ESPN channels - 6 (or at least at one time it was). I can't tell for certain because I ditched them several years ago when they became more interested in pushing an agenda than in celebrating the sports that were providing them a living. Outside The Lines broke the camels back for me. Muckraking and yellow journalism at it's worst. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPN Classic
ESPNews
ESPNU

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPN Classic
ESPNews
ESPNU
ESPN 3 has always been online only, but most of the content has been moved to plus.

ESPN Classic stopped service the end of 2021.

ESPN U has also seen a lot of it’s content moved to plus and on the chopping block because of that.

ESPN News should be on the chopping block, ratings are terrible, not really a news channel anymore, for example, UFC is on right now.

I can't tell for certain because I ditched them several years ago when they became more interested in pushing an agenda than in celebrating the sports that were providing them a living. Outside The Lines broke the camels back for me. Muckraking and yellow journalism at it's worst. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPN Classic
ESPNews
ESPNU
Pushing an agenda??? :rolleyes:. What agenda is that?

ESPN needs channels like that for overflow from Sept-May to hold all of the pro and college sports they've taken on. Especially college sports.

No one will miss any of those crap channels that were only created to milk money out of subscribers and sell more cheap commercials while airing reruns.
It is about the show now not the channel. At least it is with streamers using the streaming apps. This is why cable and satellite are dying. Their whole dynamic should of changed to prevent some of this, but the greedy companies wanted to charge you fees out the butt every month . All the DVR Fees and additional receiver fees and Programming Price hikes every year, have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. :rolleyes:

Reactions: N6BY and ncted
Pushing an agenda??? :rolleyes:. What agenda is that?

ESPN needs channels like that for overflow from Sept-May to hold all of the pro and college sports they've taken on. Especially college sports.
That what ESPN 3 was originally for, then they decided to try and make money with it, hence ESPN+.

It is a moot point, once it is offered as a streaming service in late 20224/early 2025, along with it’s Live TV Channel on Providers’ services, the dynamic will change again.

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Would their daytime weekday schedule count as news to you? SportsCenter (10a-12p), Get Up (12p-2p), and First Take (2p-4p) are on there.
But it was supposed to be 24/7, and if not live news, then shows like 30 for 30 and other documentaries , not a rerun of a UFC fight.

ESPN 3 has always been online only, but most of the content has been moved to plus.

ESPN Classic stopped service the end of 2021.

ESPN U has also seen a lot of it’s content moved to plus and on the chopping block because of that.

ESPN News should be on the chopping block, ratings are terrible, not really a news channel anymore, for example, UFC is on right now.
Isn't ESPN + essentially all of those channels in one place now ?