More Cable Channels are about to end due to cord cutting

Would their daytime weekday schedule count as news to you? SportsCenter (10a-12p), Get Up (12p-2p), and First Take (2p-4p) are on there.
First Take is just 2 (or more) people Yelling at one another ... comes on at 10 am here, thats when I change the channel .
Get Up, I see once in a while ... I still like Greenberg (and Golic SR, he's out there somewhere) ...
SportsCenter I haven't watched in many years.

Reactions: MrDRC
Thought those were the Viacom channels...
They're not called Viacom or ViacomCBS anymore...

Since the combined media conglomerate also owns the Paramount Pictures movie studio, the media conglomerate has rebranded to Paramount Global in 2022.

This was also why CBS All Access was rebranded to Paramount+.

No, Plus doesn't give you access to the rest of the channels. It gives you access to the lesser colleges as well as NHL, UFC, International soccer, and more.
I rarely use espn+ ...
So, if they have a game that IS on ESPN or espn2 on regular TV (you guys call Linier ???) ...
It's Not on espn+

I thought everything was on espn+ ... what a rip espn+ actually is then.

Thanks for the info.

So, where do you get the espn and espn2 games on streaming ?

Edit:
I just went to my Linier channel for 12 noon and it shows the LSU game to be on.

I then went into my Streaming ESPN App ...
The Top of the App shows
Featured, ESPN+, Originals and Browse.

I drop down into the games area and it Does show the same LSU game on at noon ....

Please clear up what I'm not understanding here.

ESPN+ has all the linear channels when you are authenticated with a TV subscription, so everything is blended together in the app. If you only subscribe to the ESPN+ product, you don't get access to the linear ESPN channels. My guess is that when ESPN goes DTC, in essence ESPN+ is going to be everything together like we currently see when you authenticate with a TV subscription.

We know Longhorn Network is gone in the summer as that is being merged to SEC Network when Texas goes to the SEC. I can see ESPNU and ESPNews going away pretty quickly - but the part I don't know is how certain contracts are written - like Little League World Series or NCAA Women's basketball tourney where ESPN has all the games and if they have to be on a linear platform. That is the only way I see those secondary channels staying around for a while.

The SEC alternate channels have already been sunset as those games are now streaming, and I also see that when there is an event that runs long some games are starting exclusively on the app before moving to the linear channels. Long term I would see ESPN only having ESPN and ESPN2 as the linear channels and any overflow would only be on the app.

I can see Fox Sports 2 going away very quickly. I don't see a lot of live sports on there at all - it is the occasional spot for overflow, but just like ESPN, I do see games or other programming available on the Fox Sports App and not on Fox Sports 2.

Reactions: Jimbo
ESPN+ has all the linear channels when you are authenticated with a TV subscription, so everything is blended together in the app. If you only subscribe to the ESPN+ product, you don't get access to the linear ESPN channels. My guess is that when ESPN goes DTC, in essence ESPN+ is going to be everything together like we currently see when you authenticate with a TV subscription.
They have been blending more ESPN content into ESPN+, for example, they announced 12 MNF games will be on plus this year, last year the same number was announced, but it aired 16 MNF games.

The only thing not allowed on plus is the NBA and the College Football Playoffs/Championship.

After those contract issues are worked out with the playoffs, will be when ESPN+ becomes regular ESPN ( and Traditional Providers agree to let Disney do it, Spectrum/Charter is the first to allow it with the new contract).

As far as the NBA goes, doubtful ESPN will agree to a new deal, NBA wants at least double then what they received in the last contracts with Warner and ESPN.

It is rumored that Apple is willing to pay that, but no one else.

It is a bad time for new rights agreements, most media companies would have to take on new debt to make a deal, that is a big nono with the way financial markets are right now, for example Warner has $50 Billion in debt and not taking enough $$$ in.

So, the only ones making deals are the companies with cash, Apple, Amazon, Google.

As I posted before, the RSNs was just the beginning, more channels are on the endangered list due to cord cutting.

View attachment 165692

Has anyone noticed, there is no mention of the possibility of prices going down with Providers, even with the loss of channels.

Well, these channels can go to a free version with streaming like so many have done to sell adverts. At least some might survive.

Well, these channels can go to a free version with streaming like so many have done to sell adverts. At least some might survive.
Been researching all the ones on the block, the majority have canceled all future new content planned, just burn thru the inventory of new shows they have left ( and/or moved to a different channel/service).

So right now they only exist to show reruns, collect per sub fees and sell advertising.

Just like the majority of cable channels.

Been researching all the ones on the block, the majority have canceled all future new content planned, just burn thru the inventory of new shows they have left ( and/or moved to a different channel/service).

So right now they only exist to show reruns, collect per sub fees and sell advertising.

Just like the majority of cable channels.

It's ridiculous. How many MTV channels are there? 4 or 5? None showing music videos because it costs too much, so it's cheap crap reruns you can watch on Pluto. I'd love to know the ratings on those channels.

Reactions: MrDRC and MikeD-C05
It's ridiculous. How many MTV channels are there? 4 or 5? None showing music videos because it costs too much, so it's cheap crap reruns you can watch on Pluto. I'd love to know the ratings on those channels.
Not just them, 3 FXs, 5 Disneys, 4 ESPNs, 2 Fox Sports, why TNT and TBS, just need one , or even channels like POP TV, which is nothing but reruns that you can find elsewhere.

My biggest point, with all this talk about channels ending, not one rumor about Providers reducing the monthly bill because of it, instead of that, now raising it twice a year.

Some are still getting charged a RSN fee, yet no RSN locally anymore, just national programming.

It’s worth it in some areas. Like where I am (Northeast PA), I get NYCs RSNs (MSG, SNY, YES) and SportsNet Pittsburgh (formerly ATTSN) via DirecTV.
However, on cable here (Comcast), only YES, SNP, and NBC Sports Philadelphia are carried.
That is different then getting charge a RSN fee without a local RSN, like San Diego and Arizona.

Pushing an agenda??? :rolleyes:. What agenda is that?

Here are just a few links. Do some homework, there are many, many more out there. Good grief they've fired people for political commenting, they've restricted what they can and can not say, and they've been sued in court by ex employees.

Is ESPN too liberal? New poll finds 60 percent think network leans left

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ESPN/comments/8eegzi/espn_is_more_about_political_agendas_than_it_is/

ESPN's rough week shows its decay at the hands of liberal politics

How athletes have forced ESPN and other networks to change their game plan on mixing politics and sports

Here are just a few links. Do some homework, there are many, many more out there. Good grief they've fired people for political commenting, they've restricted what they can and can not say, and they've been sued in court by ex employees.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ESPN/comments/8eegzi/espn_is_more_about_political_agendas_than_it_is/

How athletes have forced ESPN and other networks to change their game plan on mixing politics and sports

This type of post does not need to be here, want to talk about a political agenda, go into the pit, glad to have there.

When people post this type of stuff where they do not belong, usually gets threads shut down

I remember when those channels started ...
Watch for a little while .... haven't watched any of them in probably 35-40 years now.
Nobody is watching them anymore. That used to be a selling point for satellite and cable in the 90s and 2000s and that was more channels like 500 channels advertised. The fact is they are all showing reruns and reality tv or crap and commercials out the kazoo. This model needs to end. People like TV shows and they don't really care what channel it comes from anymore.

I don't see how a Sports channel is into politics or leans any which way. Seems like they have lost their way. But I haven't watched Espn since the 80s when I used to work out at home with Gilead Jankowitz on Bodies in Motion. :smug

Nobody is watching them anymore. That used to be a selling point for satellite and cable in the 90s and 2000s and that was more channels like 500 channels advertised. The fact is they are all showing reruns and reality tv or crap and commercials out the kazoo. This model needs to end. People like TV shows and they don't really care what channel it comes from anymore.

They're airing the same crap you can get on Pluto for FREE!