Fiberglass BUD, any good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PipeDream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I'm looks for a Big Dish being disgarded to use for C/Ku-Band. Okay, small mesh or ever better...a solid metal one. But what about a fiberglass big dish?
I thought they would work, but then I found this at http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor715739 :

"If you have interest in receiving multiple satellites then be sure to get a C and Ku-band compatible dish. If you are buying a used mesh satellite dish, be sure it has the smaller diameter perforations or a significant portion of Ku signals will pass through the dish. Do not waste your time buying a fiberglass dish as that is early technology and will be guaranted to have C-band only mesh embedded within."

I find it hard to believe since my Primestar dish is plastic. So, would a big fiberglass dish be a bad choice?

True my DirecPC dish works great and has mesh inside (cut my hand on the mesh once) Back in the UK I had a (hand made) 1.7m satellite dish and it worked a treat.
But I would follow the above advice if you are paying money for one, if its free go for it!

PipeDream said:
I'm looks for a Big Dish being disgarded to use for C/Ku-Band. Okay, small mesh or ever better...a solid metal one. But what about a fiberglass big dish?
I thought they would work, but then I found this at http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor715739 :

"If you have interest in receiving multiple satellites then be sure to get a C and Ku-band compatible dish. If you are buying a used mesh satellite dish, be sure it has the smaller diameter perforations or a significant portion of Ku signals will pass through the dish. Do not waste your time buying a fiberglass dish as that is early technology and will be guaranted to have C-band only mesh embedded within."

I find it hard to believe since my Primestar dish is plastic. So, would a big fiberglass dish be a bad choice?

Sometimes you can shine a flashlight through a fiberglass dish and see the mesh, sometimes the mesh breaks down on these old dishes also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)