fiberglass bud opinions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gopher2

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 15, 2005
CRAIGSLIST DUDE FOR SALE.....

"
We have a fiberglass satellite dish for sale. It is made up of four Fiberglass sections that bolt together to form the satellite dish. When assembled it is approximately 10' in diameter. Included are the four fiberglass panels that make up the dish and I believe we have the metal mount that goes on the back. With the right receiver it could probably be used for TV but would also make a great antenna for those electronics hackers out there that want to do SETI research. Maybe you will make the next big discovery by picking up ET's signals.....
"
sounds like he really wants to dump it ( seti lol )
you think a offer to take it away for free is reasonable?

i would like to have a some data on gain differentials on mesh vs solid dishes on ku and cband . .
wind load on sold dishes are greatley increased...
FTA FTA a fta dish maintenance cost vs small dish main cose

let me know what the biggest snazziest sub 1200$ FTA setup us ...

da G0ph3r... rsv mo

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
In my experience, a fiberglass dish such as a commercial 6' Prodelin, is extremely heavy by comparison to mesh dishes. Factor the weight into transport and installation.

pendragon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 13, 2008
The loss of a mesh or perf dish because of the 'holes' is miniscule as long as they are small compared to the wavelength. The same principle is used in microwave ovens in shielding the window so you can see your food cooking without cooking your face.

What can go wrong with any dish is how well the surface matches the desired paraboloid. Exposed mesh and perf surfaces are more vulnerable to such physical damage, although it takes a lot to make a measurable difference. A fiberglass dish doesn't guarantee the surface is perfect, and in fact they can warp badly, but the reflective layer is protected. Fiberglass does deteriorate with UV and heat.

Solid dishes are heavy and may require more effort and support structural elements. However the wind loading isn't significantly higher than for a mesh or perf. At high velocities, turbulence forms at the 'holes' because they are too small to pass the wind unaltered. This largely cancels out any benefit and might actually increase the load compared to a smooth, solid surface.

I don't think there is any compelling performance benefit to use solid vs. mesh vs. perf, given the same attention to construction quality. It's more dictated by what you like to look at and work with.

1captain

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 30, 2008
I have both type of dishes here solid an mesh smallest is 10 ft, an I like the solid better than mesh dish, it performs so much better for signal, but mine here is Mirco-Dine not you're average type of dish. but you need to have a stout pole an actuator to run them due to their weight. now mine here was a commercial dish an weight about 450lbs, it is a job for 3 or 4 men to pick it up, let alone to set it on a pole. now if you would compare that to a mess dish may less than 1/4 of its weight.

now about the 1 in the 4 sections that could be a Channel Master SMC, an if it is very good playing dish also very heavy, weight on 1 of them any where from 275 to 350lbs, the back frame an its mounting cap well over 100lbs, but they are built to last.

now unless you know the how that dish was made it is hard to tell if they had a mess or the type of screen or foil that was used in their construction of a composite or fiberglass dish. but on most their surface is more true than a mess, if you have ever noticed that a mess will have a wave or a buckle here an their in its mess, also on you're mess it is not flat by the way they have their holes in them kind of like a step by the way they are punch out, now this will more noticeable on a Ku signal than a C-band signal.

a mess dish is lighter an easy to move an set on their mounting pole, an you don't need a lot of times a heavy duty actuator or motor to drive them. an you will also have a longer life out of you're motor on a mess over running a solid. an most mess dishes perform very well for signal. but some times when you just can't lock a signal an need a little more to lock it that is where a solid will add a little bit more.

here are some picture of a plug that had to cut in a Mirco-Dine, that we needed to run some 7/8 andrews hard line to the lna's, now the foils was intact it just rip when I tried to pull it apart, but this is what is inside a Mirco-Dine dish.

Attachments

• satellitepictures 025.jpg
    satellitepictures 025.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 129
  • satellitepictures 026.jpg
    satellitepictures 026.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 146
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts