Fight or Switch? DISH to DirecTiVo?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Hi All:

I am new to this site, which, BTW, I find to be excellent. I have been reviewing the various posts regarding the new DISH PVR's, and HD receivers, because I am at a decision point now.

I have been a DISH customer since their first year. Currently, I have two DISH receivers, a 301 and a 1000, the DISH 500 setup with two antennae (getting 110. 119 and 148), and a SW 64 switch. We are on the America's Top 150, with local channels and a movie premium add-on.

I also have TiVo: two Phillips receivers, one an 80 hour unit, the other an upgraded 60 unit. Both have lifetime service paid. The second TiVo unit is hardwired on an Intercast system, so I can import its programs to the main television, where the other TiVo unit is (this is way cool).

Add to this, a new Sony 57" widescreen, HDTV capable, which I am just itching to fire up for the full benefits.

Here is the problem. Notwithstanding having installed a Xantech emitter to export the DISH receiver commands to the TiVo, and having put enough black elex. tape over the infrared receiver "eye" on the DISH, I still have problems with the DISH unit putting the system onto a channel not on my system, so I get that blue screen telling me I need to pay for it. This, of course, locks up the TiVo system, so it won't record the actual program I want, i just get an hour of that d*()&*ed blue screen. Most recent occasion was missing the episode of West Wing where the Prez' daughter was rescued.

Anyway, I jsut got my renewal bill from DISH (we pay annually). I am really frustrated with with the DISH/TiVo "arguments" between each other, regardless of how I set it up. I don't see DISH going to a TiVo combo unit, a la DirecTV, and I don't like the DISH PVR's absence of the season pass feature of TiVo. I am thinking of jumping from DISH to DirecTV to get a combo HD receiver/TiVo unit. I had been really excited about the DISH 811 announced, but I just see more problems with the DISH-TiVo negative interaction. I know I would lose the TiVo lifetime program fee if I change units, but I think I once figured out that amortized itself out after about two or three years of monthly payments, and I am way beyond that.

So, to make a long story short (oops, too late), I would like some outside assistance.

Many thanks :D

dendavis

I am thinking of jumping from DISH to DirecTV to get a combo HD receiver/TiVo unit. I had been really excited about the DISH 811 announced, but I just see more problems with the DISH-TiVo negative interaction. I know I would lose the TiVo lifetime program fee if I change units, but I think I once figured out that amortized itself out after about two or three years of monthly payments, and I am way beyond that.

Keep in mind that the HD DirecTivo isn't expected until next spring at $850-$1000, and additional delays are always possible. If you want a DirecTivo, you'll have to settle for a SD version until then.

I would suggest you pay for one more month on Dish, and wait until November 1 to see what sort of HDTV programming announcements they have for the Superdish, and whether they really ship the 921 on that date -- if that product interests you.

Ultimately though, if Tivo functionality is more important to you than HDTV programming, and you just can't live with the daily/weekly/weekday timer-based recording of the DISH DVRs, then it sounds like the fully-integrated DirecTivo may be a better option for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)