Fighting in NHL Hockey - is it really necessary?

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
As I was doing my daily internet surfing, I came across this article on dead spin
http://deadspin.com/how-a-hockey-fi...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The article is about a fight between Kevin Westgarth and Luke Gazdic in the Flames-Oilers game that ended with one guy literally down for the count. But really that is not what caught my attention. What caught my eye was the number of people in the comments both on deadspin and facebook that seem to seriously believe fighting in hockey is absolutely necessary to the actual sport. They contend that it is an integral part of the strategy and a way to prevent other issues from escalating. I was floored.

I can't believe how many people seriously defend the practice of fighting in NHL hockey games as a necessary part of the sport and at the same time accuse those who dislike the distraction as novices of the sport. I'm pretty sure it is only in the NHL and their feeder leagues where fights like this are common. You do not see these type of distraction in youth, high school, collegiate games. And you definitely don't see this type of unnecessary violence in Olympic hockey games or even European professional hockey leagues. The rare instances of fighting in these leagues is dealt with severely and immediately. I'd like to see some one point out where the game itself suffers from the lack of fights on the ice. This is not a rhetorical statement. I want someone who actually believes that fighting is a necessary part of the sport point out to me where an NHL game differs from an Olympic or professional European league game in any meaningful way because the NHL tolerates fighting on the ice.

Some argue that allowing fights brings in more viewers and younger audiences that may not otherwise be interested in the sport. That might be true. They definitely rile up the crowd. There are giant cheers that erupt during the fights. Chants and en-mass count-offs of punches thrown have the feeling of being at the Roman Coliseum. But then it is those that put forward this argument who may not know the actual sport of hockey as well as they think they might.

Others argue that this is the only way to prevent "bullying" and cheep shots on the ice. It is a way to teach the other guy the lesson that checking "our guy" into the boards is not acceptable. This also rings hollow. That is why you have referees. Even the most insignificant game is recorded too, and video review after the game can quickly allow the league to issue sanctions and effectively end much of the practice. As mentioned above, every other league in the world (except NHL feeder leagues) have dealt with this successfully.

NHL hockey teams have players known as enforcers. These guys are on the team for one reason: to play dirty and start fights. The enforcers should be off the ice. Cheap shots should be reported and reviewed by league officials the same way they are dealt with in other sports. ...and as severely. NFL, NBA and to a degree MLB have all dealt with fighting on the field of play to the point it is a rarity, not a twice-a-game affair as it seems to be in North American professional Hockey.

Fights like the one in the video within the link have absolutely nothing to do with the game. They add nothing to the sport. They do not enhance the experience of sportsmanship and a well-played game. There should be no place for this type of scene on the ice unless we want to start a new UFC on Ice tour.

But then again, I am just a fan of the sport. What do I know?

The day the NHL turns into European hockey , is the day I stop watching.

Veteran winger Jarome Iginla wrote a piece for CNN/SI a few months ago about this very topic. You can read the whole article for yourself, but here is his main point:

Fighting helps hold players accountable for their actions on the ice, even more so than penalties. If it was taken out of the game, I believe there would be more illegal stickwork, most of it done out of sight of the referees; more slashes to the ankles or wrists, and in between pads; and more cross checks to the tailbone. Incidents of players taking such liberties are rare in today's game because fighting gives us the ability to hold each other accountable. If you play dirty, you're going to have to answer for it.
In my experience, players -- even the ones who fight frequently -- do not love to drop the gloves. Guys are not in the dressing room before a game telling their teammates, "I can't wait to get into three fights tonight." It's not something that guys look forward to.

Jarome Iginla: Hockey is better, safer with fighting in it

Once again, Why?
As socially advanced as we think we are (and we couldn't be much more wrong), we still go real big for anything that looks gladiators doing battle.

I'm baffled you even have to ask in a world of MMA, UFC and what's left of WWE.

As socially advanced as we think we are (and we couldn't be much more wrong), we still go real big for anything that looks gladiators doing battle.

I'm baffled you even have to ask in a world of MMA, UFC and what's left of WWE.
I am not arguing that fighting is popular. I asked how fighting is a NECESSARY part of the game.

The article Cosmo cites at least makes an attempt to tie the fighting to the game. But even that logic is flawed. Stuff does happen outside the view of the refs, but to say that allowing players to stop the actual game to have a boxing match, or UFC style brawl to "settle the score" for uncalled transgressions is, in my mind, idiotic!

How is it that other leagues in the same sport have dealt with it and the game itself has not suffered? How is it that all other North American major sports have handled this type if thing, even the NFL where cheap shots and other transgressions are dealt with quickly by the league and fighting is never tolerated?

Once again, for those that are having a visceral reaction to the question, I want to ask the question again so that it reaches the frontal lobe of the brain and one can logically answer the question: Is fighting a necessary part of the actual sport of hockey. If so, why? And why is it that other professional leagues, scholastic, and amateur leagues, including the Olympics can have fantastic hockey games without fights, and the NHL cant?

I like Iginlas comments for the most part, except there is already a whole lot more illegal stick work being done due to the players wearing shields ..... and helmets to a degree ... take away the shields unless nessasary. You'll get better hockey ...

As for is fighting, nessasary, no .... but it keeps the stars in the game without getting abused as badly as if it wasn't.

I do not understand how the stars would get abused without some thug going out to start a fight. That logic just does not make sense to me. If the rules are being followed in the first place, the abusers would be on the bench for most of the season due to sanctions and very poor due to fines by the league!

I do not understand how the stars would get abused without some thug going out to start a fight. That logic just does not make sense to me. If the rules are being followed in the first place, the abusers would be on the bench for most of the season due to sanctions and very poor due to fines by the league!

First, not all fighters are thugs ...
There are many very good players that also will fight when needed.
You dont see nearly the amount of fighting in hockey today as you use to.

When you are a good hockey player and can drop the gloves as well, your an asset to the team.

How does this help ?
Stars arent abused when the ones abusing know that they will get it right back if they are abused.

This is a Major reason why Gretsky was so great, he had room to move.

Because, without the fighting, it's just soccer on ice. aka boring.

I do agree that there's no need for fighting in hockey. But the NHL tolerates (encourages) it for one thing only, ratings.
It's nice to see an honest answer. I suspect this is the real reason. Those who support fighting in hockey are secretly bored by the real sport of hockey and are looking forward to UFC on ice.

Personally, since adulthood, have disliked the distraction to the game, but I can see how fights are an attraction and, as I mentioned in the original post, I can see why the league would look the other way in order to sell tickets to the "fights".

I wonder how many of you have seen the movie "Slap Shot"?

BTW, Hockey wishes they could have the fan base the "boring" sport of soccer gets.

It's important to add too that the NHL has made strides over the years to reduce fighting by implementing stricter penalties on third men in and instigating. And, interestingly, baseball now has more bench clearing brawls than hockey.

The NHL eliminating fights all together would be like the NFL considering moving the PAT out to 42 yards...........oh wait

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)