Figured Out Why I Have Intermittent Orby Reception

Cosmo Blatz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
S.E. WI and Central NV
I get a solid signal on every Ku satellite on the arc except Eutelsat 116.8 W.
Here's why:

DishPointer -.jpg

Looks like you need either an OrbyTV dish to the south of your house or some elevation gain on the current one.

Sent using Tapatalk

I raised the dish about a foot on the pole in hopes that would be just enough to get the signal. Didn't help.
Does anyone know the longest acceptable cable run using high quality RG-6 and the Orby dish kit?

If you are putting up a separate Orby dish you can buy the install kit with receiver for $100.. Since dish install kit is $70 it would be worth the extra $30 and add another receiver..

Reactions: Cosmo Blatz
200 feet RG6 satellite coax run is typical. Longer runs use RG-11. Use an inline booster if 300' and absolutely no other option.

Place the terrestrial antenna as close as possible. ATSC doesn't do well over long cable runs.

Looks like the total cable run will be about 130'.
I'll try to run the coax first. I have a pull string in the conduit out to my garage, hoping the pull string in the conduit doesn't break.

I'll try to run the coax first. I have a pull string in the conduit out to my garage, hoping the pull string in the conduit doesn't break.
Tie a NEW string to the end of the coax, so it goes into the conduit along with the new coax. That way you'll be set again for any future pulls. I use the yellow nylon type, and then you don't have to worry about it breaking.

I've got about 130' of RG6 coax running from a modded DirecTV Slimline (instead of an Orby dish) into a Zinwell 3 X 4 switch that feeds four Orby receivers. Also have the antenna running into that switch. All works fine. :)

img_6288s-jpg.144402

I get a solid signal on every Ku satellite on the arc except Eutelsat 116.8 W.
Here's why:

View attachment 144653

I tried to run the coax through about 75' of conduit to the garage. No go! I think I might have used short 90 degree couplers instead of the pre-formed sweeping 90" bends. A fish tape refuses to take the bend on either end. How stupid was I to use those tight 90 degree fittings? Yes, really stupid. I guess I figured one 4-pair phone line was all I'd ever need out there. I suppose I could direct bury a coax. Done that before. Only alternatives are a temp install on a wood pallet or mount the dish on the house. I did go ahead and order the Orby self-install package with receiver for $100.00 delivered. That's a deal. Plus, Orby wants me back, so I get one month free.

Reactions: EmCommSat
Just curious how long you let your sub expire that made them offer you a free month service? I have both Orby and Dish RV pay as you go and plan on switching back and forth..Use Dish camping because I can't receive western arcs where we camp.. only eastern

Just curious how long you let your sub expire that made them offer you a free month service? I have both Orby and Dish RV pay as you go and plan on switching back and forth..Use Dish camping because I can't receive western arcs where we camp.. only eastern

About a month for my first offer, first month for $20. Missed that offer due to reduced hours of operation due to COvID-19 So i called the next day, they would not honor it. So I waited about 2 weeks later and I was offered buy one month for $40 and get one free. The offers were texted to me.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tvland1
2 months for me. I get text messages every day from Orby! Sometimes, I get 5 or 6 text messages a day from Orby. CRAZY!
Pay $40 and get one month free.

I now have an Orby dish installed. Mounted the "J" pole on the side of the garage. Assembled the dish inside the house and preset the dish elevation and skew to dishpointer spec. Ploped the dish on "J" pole and turned dish to where Eutelsat should be. BAM! Instant signal 91/83.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)