Finally getting close to getting FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fedupwithcablevision590

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2007
Again I am a newbie and want to keep the system as simple and cheap as possible. I don't need HD, or even EPG. Basically a "no frills" system. I am mainly going to use it to recieve the muzak FTA channels off echostar.
I am planning on ordering a reciever by the end of this month (prob next weekend). Is it OK to go with used or refurbished recievers that I see on eBay, since they are significantly cheaper? I've seen Viewsat, Orasat, on there. Is there anything I need to stay away from?
Also is a "pizza dish" like the ones I see from Dish and Direct good?
Also is there a specific type of LNB I will need?
Am I going to need a satellite finder meter? Remember this is my 1st time using any type of satellite equip, I am setting it up myself and need clear instructions on what I need to do. As I've stated before, my budget is only about $100, hopefully I can find something.
I want to get the muzak because everything else doesn't measure up (tried sirius online...awful). Again mainly plan on using it for audio, just want decent stereo sound (anything FM quality or better) and capability to recieve the muzak channels. Don't need PVR, EPG, Dolby, any extras. So far most of the units I've seen have alot of extras, and of course for me that's a waste of money.
Anyway, concrete advice would be very much appreciated. Sorry to be a nag but I am new at this and want to make sure I get it right!:D

We talking about the music on 119º ?
I can't speak to the sound quality, 'cause I don't listen to them, but . . .

Pretty much any old 18 to 24 inch dish, reclaimed from Dish or DirecTV service can likely be made to work.
It will come equipped with it's stock circular LNB, which is exactly what you need.
I've gotten them free from dumpsters, and neighbors moving from one sat provider to the other.

Aiming the thing with a $10 sat meter makes life really easy.
I know you'll only do it once, but it's cheaper than a big bottle of aspirin for your headaches. :rolleyes:

The cheapest new FTA receiver is probably the Traxis 3500, and if you search for it on this forum, you'll find owners who are quite happy with it.
Pretty much any -working- FTA receiver will do the job.
Watch out for shipping if buying on line or eBay.
If you find a receiver someone has screwed up trying to hack, or unhappy 'cause their hack no longer works, just restore factory firmware to it, and it'll likely be fine for your use.
Check your local Recycler, newspaper, or on-line Craig's List.

There are always little things like cables and lag-bolts, but $100 is realistic.
Not sure you can pull it off for under $50 , but you might let us know. :)

More than one member here has started off "just to get the audio on 119w" :) Believe me, you may very well want to expand your FTA goals in the future. To that end, you might want to put a large percentage of your $100 budget into the receiver. I'm not sure if the deal on the Fortec blind scan receiver is still available, but if not, the Traxis will work well if you want to add a motor in the future. It is also worth mentioning that there is currently a good deal on a 36" dish from 3ABN ($50) if you ever want more than the free Dish Network stuff. That might make you go over your $100 budget after the receiver, though...

The Traxis has a very good meter with tone so he can even bypass spending the money on the sat finder if he goes with that receiver.

Yes... you'll probably want to expand your interests eventually. To that end, get a good receiver if you can. For dish, maybe ask on freecycle for a primestar...

You don't need a signal meter... just patience and a small tv to haul with you out to where the dish is so you can use the tv as a meter. You can get cheapo little tvs from flea markets and garage sales for about the price of a meter, and the tv will let you actually watch stuff. Lets see a meter do that.

Do watch ebay. There are good deals out there.

Although i like the traxis 3500 it still has the AC-3 problem if your shooting for music in that format.

Yeah but I don't have an interst in dolby digital so that should be no problem. And I only own 2 speakers (w/my stereo).;)

The Traxis looks like just what I am looking for.

I've had a traxis 3500 for about a year now and have been satisfied with its performance. I added a circular lnb to my setup a few months ago to get the unencrypted audio channels. I posted an ad on freecycle.org asking for unwanted dish network or directv dishes and had a number of small, free dishes offered to me. I took the lnb from one and added it to my current dish to receive circular signals.

Beware, that once you get started, this hobby is addictive. Anything you buy should keep that in mind.

I started out with the traxis, dish and motor mainly expecting to watch one satellite. Then I added the circular lnb and added a switch. Recently I upgraded the linear lnb. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of the traxis and getting a receiver that will pass ac-3 audio so I can watch more PBS.

I agree with the other posts that it is relatively easy to use the traxis's built in meter and a small tv to align your dish (without another meter).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)