Finally giving ATT the boot at home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well I will still have the iPhone... So, AT&T still around.

But, going away is DSL and local phone service. I have my home office at home, so I had 3 phone lines and DSL. The bill has been slowly creeping up (as I assume AT&T profits have been going up), it has just about reached $200/month.

AT&T just raised DSL rates $5/month. It is now $10 cheaper than cable modem. It used to be $25/month lower. Cable interent rates have not gone up in the last 5 years, but they finally increased the speed. So, I am going to pay the $10 premium for 2.5x the speed (6mbit DSL to 15Mbit cable).

I decided I no longer need fax at home. I am down to about 4-6 pages a month, and 4 of them are from one of my offices to the other that I am converting to email. I calculate each fax page is about $5 (cost of the phone line) not to mention machine, paper and toner, but I have not bought toner in a long time since I hardly use it. Everyone uses email now. 5 years ago it was probably 150+ pages a month.

I signed up for VOIP. I used viatalk since they could port my number. 2 year prepaid came out to $198 including all the taxes and fees ($178 before taxes and fees). This works out to 1/18 the old cost. They have a system where you can get 2 calls at the same time, sort of 2 phone lines with one number. You can be talking to one person, the phone can ring and someone else can answer and talk on the other phone to someone else at the same time. This more than meets my needs, I do not need 2 separate phone numbers.

It will be interesting to see how things go without a fax. I looked at fax to email services and such, but even the $5/month service is still expensive considering I get 1-2 faxes per month now.

This is just be the first step. I still will pay AT&T around $1200/month for all my locations/offices. I am probably stuck with the phone line for locations with credit card processing, but I can go down to just 1 line each spot. Even so, it would work out to about $600/month savings.

That's a nice savings. What do you do for a living Mike?

This might be an option for fax to email for you. I signed up years ago and rarely use it (perhaps once a year?) but it does appear to still be free for receiving (except for the toll free option). I did this for personal use and the few times I used it it worked fine.

Jconnect - overview

Pricing details

I keep my assigned 'fax number' on my cell for reference so that I have it handy when needed.

That's a nice savings. What do you do for a living Mike?

Burger King. Each store essentially has DSL and 2 phone lines. Plus a back office and my home office (which is what I just converted).

It is just insane the charges you have to pay as a business to get telephone service. Fees/taxes run 30-40% of the bill.

2 phone lines and DSL (not even fast DSL, but with static IP) is $200/month, without long distance.

Crap, hope I didn't waste your time with my post above, mike. Even though the details do show that receiving a fax is free, there is no longer a free setup with jconnect. It appears you do still have to have a paid account.

But it does look like there might be a free option out there still if you are interested - efax Free. Not the FREE TRIAL of PLUS that the big link tries to sell, but just the FREE product that this link takes you to.

If you still need a cheap fax line, consider trying Magic Jack. Works for me and I believe your new cable modem speed will be more than adequate. Warning- I did have trouble using WinFax on thesame machine as Magic Jack but a multifunction copier Fax printer machine here works well for a basic Fax off the MJ.

Before I shut down ATT here I was paying $150 per month for 3 lines I didn't need. It was $35 per line and $45 was taxes and other charges like VM, call waiting, etc.

We dumped AT&T (All services) at home a couple of weeks ago. In our case the DSL was cutting out a lot and after the run-around, they told us the distance to the node for the DSL was reduced and we were no longer "available" in our area. As a last resort, we went with the cable since I work from home and needed the web.

Got the notice that the phone number transfer should be complete on Monday. Not bad, one week to move the number.

I configured my router to reserve some bandwidth for the phone. 50kbit up/down should be more than enough. (Cable doing 28mbit/1.62mbit)

Well the number porting was a success yesterday. Took 8 days from when I ordered the service, 6 working days.

I love getting my voice mail in .wav files in email. They are available on the phone too, one has the option of getting a copy in email. I give out my home number a lot since I am never really home to answer it during the day. Now I can listen to my messages via email.

All the phones in the house now on the SIP router. Will call AT&T in a few days to disconnect (the viatalk said wait 5 days after the number transfer was complete).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)