Finally gonna move to pole mount vs roof mount...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Now that it's spring, I want to move my slimline 5 dish from the roof mount to a pole mount mostly for winters and snow buildup (I live in Green Bay, WI). I have some questions though I'd like to get answered to make the move as easy as possible.

1. What kind of pole should I get? I read that I should get a pole with a 2" outside diameter. Someone I know suggested a chain link fence pole. Is that correct, and if so, do they come in different diameters or are they standard in size?

2. How high should the pole be from ground level? Most I see are 4 1/2' to 5' high by the looks of it.

3. How far into the ground should I dig? I always thought 1/2 the height from ground to the top but, want to be sure with the weight of the dish.

4. What is the best way to get the coax to the LNB? Run it through the pole or zip tie it to the outside of the pole? If I run it through the pole, what is the best way underground to get it from the pole/concrete to solid soil?

5. How deep should I run the buried cable? I plan to burry my RG6 with plastic irrigation tubing around it for protection. Is this a good plan or is there a better solution?

Anything else I should know or any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks guys

Now that it's spring, I want to move my slimline 5 dish from the roof mount to a pole mount mostly for winters and snow buildup (I live in Green Bay, WI). I have some questions though I'd like to get answered to make the move as easy as possible.

1. What kind of pole should I get? I read that I should get a pole with a 2" outside diameter. Someone I know suggested a chain link fence pole. Is that correct, and if so, do they come in different diameters or are they standard in size?

2. How high should the pole be from ground level? Most I see are 4 1/2' to 5' high by the looks of it.

3. How far into the ground should I dig? I always thought 1/2 the height from ground to the top but, want to be sure with the weight of the dish.

4. What is the best way to get the coax to the LNB? Run it through the pole or zip tie it to the outside of the pole? If I run it through the pole, what is the best way underground to get it from the pole/concrete to solid soil?

5. How deep should I run the buried cable? I plan to burry my RG6 with plastic irrigation tubing around it for protection. Is this a good plan or is there a better solution?

Anything else I should know or any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks guys

1. I used a Galvanized pole (16ft btw) ...
You are correct, you want a pole that is 2" od, I found my pole at the local Fence company.
Don't bother with Lowes and Home Depot, they don't have them the right size.
Yes they do come in different diameters ...

2. As for how high, I would go with what ever your comfortable with... I would keep in mind you'll possibly need to cut grass around the area, so make it high enough to get the mower under ..

3. Mine is 30" deep, filled with concrete.

4. I would zip tie it, would not run it thru the pole, not a good idea, you still need to concrete it don't forget.

5. If your gonna bury it, depending on how far, I would use PVC, make sure there are caps or an end on it so that water won't get into it.
I would guess 4-6" would be good.

If you are concerned with making the install code compliant, the pole must be below the frost line. It's also a good idea. Where you are it's probably at least 48". The cable should be at least 18" deep by code IIRC.

If you are concerned with making the install code compliant, the pole must be below the frost line. It's also a good idea. Where you are it's probably at least 48". The cable should be at least 18" deep by code IIRC.

Chip, the Phone companies main lines are only 18" deep, The Edison companies are usually 48"

5. If your gonna bury it, depending on how far, I would use PVC, make sure there are caps or an end on it so that water won't get into it.
I would guess 4-6" would be good.

Thanks for the input Jimbo. I have 15' - 20' to burry at most. What advantage is there to PVC vs irrigation tubing? I have SWM so only have one wire to burry. The main advantage I see to the tubing is flexibility around a corner vs a 90 degree elbow with PVC. I'd obviously have to silicone the ends though to keep water out of the tubing though.

I plan to put the dish next to my deck and run the coax along side it below ground to the house. The good news is that it's all gonna be ran under the 2' river rock area we have around the deck.

Thanks for the input Jimbo. I have 15' - 20' to burry at most. What advantage is there to PVC vs irrigation tubing? I have SWM so only have one wire to burry. The main advantage I see to the tubing is flexibility around a corner vs a 90 degree elbow with PVC. I'd obviously have to silicone the ends though to keep water out of the tubing though.

I plan to put the dish next to my deck and run the coax along side it below ground to the house. The good news is that it's all gonna be ran under the 2' river rock area we have around the deck.

Isn't irrigation tubing the ones with all the holes in it ?
Your trying to keep the cable out of the water, you don't want it wet at all if possible.

Am I thinking of something else ?

Jimbo said:
Do yourself a favor, run an extra piece of coax. :)

Yes!!! Techs worst nightmare! 1 line is bad and then having to redo all the digging because we had to run a new line!

Agree, run 4 in the event you ever need to have a SWM16 type setup.

I had 4 from the dish. When I switched to a SWM LNB about two years ago I foolishly removed three cables from the dish into the house. Guess what I put back, this time in the middle of winter on a 10 degree Sunday morning...

In '10 I moved my dish to a pole mount. I had on hand a corner post from an old chain link fence. The OD was slightly less than 2", but two wraps of aluminum flashing brought it up to the right diameter. I did a lot of research using dishpointer.com to get the right spot to plant the pole. Did the planting myself. When the newbie installer showed to actually move the dish he said that the line of sight was not good. I showed him prints from dishpointer showing clearance. He had his supervisor come out and agreed to do the install. I may have trouble with my neighbor's tree blocking 99, but I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. The dish is about 4' off the ground.

If you can't find a fence post of the appropriate size then go to Lowes or Depot and buy a length of 1.5" rigid conduit. It is thick and heavy duty with an OD of 1.9". Add one layer of .035 flashing as a collar to the top of the post and the OD will be 1.97". About as close to 2" as you are going to get.

You need to provide some way of keeping the pole from twisting in the ground/concrete
Place a clamp on it or drill it and put a bolt through it and pour the concrete around that.
I like to fill the pipe with concrete, which adds mass and rigidity to the pole and keeps water out.
Any conduit would be a good idea not so much for moisture but from the vermin that will chew on it.
To meet codes it still needs to be grounded which is silly because its in the ground

Grounding underground cables is not silly. Lightning can strike an underground cable run. The correct installation requires using a ground block at the house even for an underground cable run.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)