Finally got the FTA dish going... (w/pics)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jnastasi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Louisiana
...and learned a lot of lessons along the way :D

The first obstacle was to support the weight of the Invacom QPH-031 on a Winegard DS-2076 76cm dish. A big thanks to AcWxRadar for his suggestion to use the "feed arm braces" from a Winegard 1m dish. These are very inexpensive and can be ordered directly from Winegard. Once this one weak spot addressed, the DS-2076 is transformed into a really great dish. Somewhat heavy with a good build quality, durable finish, and great reception capability for it's size.

Second obstacle was finding the right spot for the J mount. In what was probably not one of my brighter ideas, I bolted the J mount on the 6" side of a 4x6 porch swing post facing West. Once everything was up, and it came time to turn the dish to my due South satellite, you guessed it ... the dish wouldn't clear the top post of the frame. :mad:

The only other option was to mount the 8" wide J mount bracket on the 4" (3.5" actual) side of the post facing South. For those that are wondering, this can be done. Take a 2x4 and liquid nail it to the side of the post to add additional width. Secure it using (2) 5/16" x 3" stainless lag bolts ... one at the top and one at the bottom. This gives you enough total width so that the four of your holes are mounted in the post, and the remaining two are mounted in the 2x4.

Last obstacle was finding the right bolts to use. Many thanks to the community here for excellent posts on the subject. I started out with left over 5/16" x 3" (brass?) lag bolts left over from the kid's outdoor adventure playset. It didn't take long for me to break one while power driving it in with the Dewalt. Got rid of that junk in short order and ended up using Hillman stainless steel lag bolts from Lowes. Used (2) 5/16" x 3" for the center of my J mount ... and (4) 5/16" x 2" for the outer corners. For any newbies out there like me ... trust me when I say you don't want to cut corners on the bolts.

To get the J mount perfectly plumb ... using a Stanley self centering screw hole punch, and pre-drilling with a 3/16 drill bit, did the trick. Started with the top middle, then did the bottom middle, after which you're pretty much going to stay plumb no matter what you do. The Johnston angle locator that Sadoun sells is worth it's weight in gold for this task, especially since it's magnetic and sticks to the post. It ended up being one of those must have tools.

The last thing that I found indispensible was the Digisat II meter (LED) that I picked up off eBay. I never had a lot of success with the SF-95, and ended up returning it to Rat Shack, but the Digisat worked great. It'll put you on a satellite, after which you can use your FTA receiver to figure out what satellite you're on. Once you determine that you're on your due South ...the Digisat can be used (pretty much by itself) to peak the signal.

Attachments

• fta1.jpg
    fta1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 361
  • fta2.jpg
    fta2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 312
Yep ... I suppose it had to happen sooner or later :p

Nice to make your aquaint digiblur -- I'm in South Baton Rouge myself. Wouldn't happen to know any good BUD installers in the area would you? :)

Yep ... I suppose it had to happen sooner or later :p

Nice to make your aquaint digiblur -- I'm in South Baton Rouge myself. Wouldn't happen to know any good BUD installers in the area would you? :)

Nah... just hobby type folks like myself. Been a while since I installed a BUD. stogie has a couple I think down the road from us.

Nah... just hobby type folks like myself. Been a while since I installed a BUD. stogie has a couple I think down the road from us.

Hmm... just thought I'd check. I've been working on bringing a 10' back online for a family member but, so far, it appears to be whipping me more than I'm whipping it.

I might have to start up a thread in the C-Band forum and see if you guys have any ideas that I might have overlooked.

The Johnston angle locator that Sadoun sells is worth it's weight in gold for this task, especially since it's magnetic and sticks to the post. It ended up being one of those must have tools.

I like that quote. I agree with you. No installer should be without one. :)

This is what he is talking about:

jnastasi said:
Hmm... just thought I'd check. I've been working on bringing a 10' back online for a family member but, so far, it appears to be whipping me more than I'm whipping it.

I might have to start up a thread in the C-Band forum and see if you guys have any ideas that I might have overlooked.

the thread is a good idea , the main thing about big dishes is they all have that feeling of whipping you untill you get it tuned, once you get it close it gets easier :)
so its alway a good idea to bounce your ideals off a few folks and continue :)

I like that quote. I agree with you. No installer should be without one. :)

This is what he is talking about:

I second that motion!

A Johnson dial inclinometer is a "must have" tool! (From Sadoun, of course!)

A standard bubble level is necessary, but cannot always be applied because of size (length) and it won't tell you what the degree reading is if you are checking an angle other than pure vertical or pure horizontal (or 45 degrees). This inclinometer can be used for any angle. I wouldn't do without an inclinometer like this! So very convenient and tells you so much! Besides that, it is easy to fit in your tool pouch!

Stanley makes a regular bubble level with an illuminated bubble tube that is great if you are installing a dish at 2-3 a.m.! Oh yeah! I have done midnight installations on several occasions (I work nights and the guys I work with on my shift want to play after work).

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)