Finally hooked up

niteshade009

Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Indiana
Well, I just got installed yesterday. This was the second attempt. No eqpt. was available the first time and they called to cancel the day before the install. This time the installer called the night before to verify everthing and actually asked to come early which was fine with me. The installer was....lets just say less than impressive. He aimed the dish very well but that was about it. He didnt ground the dish nor did he bring anything with him in order to do it. I picked up a grounding rod at the hardware store and did it myself. I already had an old Dish500 in place so I had him reuse it instead of the smaller Voom dish. Maybe I'll have less trouble with rain fade. I already had a Winegard Sensar antenna up so I didnt have him bother mouting the stealth either. Actually, about all he did was aim the dish which was fine with me. My first impressions are pretty good. I was able to compare Discovery HD on Voom and my digital cable box through Insight. The feed on Voom looked better. It wasnt a huge difference but noticable. The SD programming looks WAY better off the sat and was always my main complaint with cable, well, that and their lack of HD channels. I will miss HDnet, the DVR, and a few of the SD channels, but I think the better picture and more HD is a nice tradeoff for now. I got the new software update last night and it has improved things. My signal was strength was at a 97. There is only one local channel mapped now. I called about this and they gave me the FCC junk and filled out the form to get the rest added. We'll see what happens with that but for now Im enjoying what I have. I just thought I would share the experience with everyone and give them a non-negative post to read for a change :) I'll be canceling my cable by the weekend I think. Im even getting the Playboy channel now and still paying less than I was for cable!