Finally made the jump from D* to Dish

jimmanhattan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Manhattan, IL
Couldn't stand the sluggish D* HR22 any longer. It took 2 1/2 minutes to change from channel 7 to channel 9 this morning (sitting there thinking wtf) that was the straw that broke the camels back.
Called dish this afternoon. 2H/3J install is set for this coming Sunday in the AM.
Customer service rep explained the terms of the contract in detail, the features of the hopper system, the programming and also made sure i was aware of the PTAT feature and if enabled it will use 1 of the 3 tuners during prime time hours only. He was very polite and made sure i understood everything.
CSR said that the installer will show up with 2 hoppers, 3 joeys and a free HIC.

Shortly after hanging up with the csr i received 3 emails.
First email confirming payment for the additional hopper + first month for AT250.
Second email confirming AutoPay enrollment.
Third email notifying me of 2 redeemable PPV certificates.

Just wondering if i should have received a email confirming the equipment ordered and install date?

I'm going to place 1 hopper in the basement and connect it to a very rarely watched sd tv connecting with component cables(rgb) and place the other hopper where the main tv (hd) is connecting with hdmi.
The 3 joeys go in the bedrooms on 26" hdtv's connecting with hdmi.
I have ethernet access where the 2 hoppers will go. I do not have ethernet connections in the bedrooms.

1) Will both hoppers need a ethernet connection?
2) Where should the HIC be placed, next to one of the hoppers or next to one of the joeys and will the HIC require a ethernet connection also?
Thanks
Jim

Enjoy your new Hopper/Joey System. :)

Welcome, and enjoy the system! just as the Direct fourm is, the Dish fourm has alot of helpfull folks!

Welcome to Dish. You should certainly love your new Hopper & Joey setup. If you have any issues, DIRT members are always on this site ready to assist. I've had my Hopper & Joey setup for two days now and I absolutely love it. Enjoy!

I will be getting mine installed this Saturday morning. Looking forward to giving it a try.

The H/J system is turning me into a couch potato. Welcome to Dish. Your Joeys don't have to be ethernet connected. One of my Hoppers is directly connected to my router and the other is connected wirelessly with a Linksys WGA610 adapter and both work fine.

Does the internet feed to the Joeys from the hopper by Coax (assuming the Hopper is connected to the router with ethernet)? Or do they need a wireless adapter?

You will get dish on demand via the coax to the hopper, you will not have DLNA/block buster at home without ethernet/wireless/hic connected to each joey. For many people just having on demand on the joey's is all they want and this works without a direct connection.

I dont imagine I would need BBaH on either of the Joeys, but if I decided to, would any USB wifi stick work? Or would you need a specific one?

I dont imagine I would need BBaH on either of the Joeys, but if I decided to, would any USB wifi stick work? Or would you need a specific one?

blockbuster is all done through the hoppers as that's where the hard drive is to store the download.

If you can do the HIC, i would just to that for networking since it basically futureproofs your system. see here for some more networking info:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-...-network-connectivity-hopper-joey-system.html

Last edited:
The HIC is (I am guessing) basically like what I have with D* and MRV with DECA.

How would I get the kit as I did not see, or was not offered it when I was in online chat when I ordered. Would the tech have it, is it included automatically, or how much would it cost? Thanks.

Edit: I see in the link you gave that it says that it is provided free during the install. Thanks for the info.

The HIC is placed wherever your router is. It bridges the Ethernet to the MoCA network. Instead of hooking the Ethernet to your Hopper, you would hook it to the HIC.

I do wish I could get this system, but because of tree problems, Dish is right out for me! congrats on the install, hope you enjoy them...and thanks for getting Msmith out of the Directv forum :)

I do wish I could get this system, but because of tree problems, Dish is right out for me! congrats on the install, hope you enjoy them...and thanks for getting Msmith out of the Directv forum :)

Ive got a chain saw that could fix that problem.

And Im not going anywhere, yall are stuck with me too. lol

Can call and confirm tech will have a HIC in van. Mine called a couple of hours out, he said he had one, but really didn't know purpose or how to install. When he got here, we walked thru it together and I educated him on the HIC benefit.. Which I learned in my short time here.

It's free and pure f'ing magic. :]

While I dot think the move has been huge, there seems to be quite a few of us that have switched from direct to dish. Maybe a sticky on that subject as us new dish folks can discuss questions and such as they move?

By the way I think the Hopper system is great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)