Status
Please reply by conversation.

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
Got a Pansat 2500A, SG2100 motor, 80cm dish with universal lnb.

I can go as large as 1 meter in my city but code enforcement will be all over me if I go any bigger.

Anyone in South FL (or anyone else for that matter) have any advice on whether a 1 meter is going to pull in much more than an 80 cm?

Anyways its a fun hobby and is relatively inexpensive. I am helping a buddy set up his system next week.

Let us know how you make out John! I got all my stuff but got to wait for the ground to thaw before I can put it all in. :D

Hello John!
There will not be much difference between an 80cm and a 100cm dish, the extra 10cm all round will help with very weak signals and if it starts to rain. You would really see a difference with the slightly bigger dish and one of the very low noise LNBF (Invacom). Hope you have a lot of fun with the new hobby!

Another thing to remember is the brand of dish, often a good quality (American made) 80cm dish will work better than a Duff 100cm. (1m.)

Iceberg said:
Welcome to the club!

FCC allows 1 meter max before city, county, HOA or whoever can argue it :)

yeah that's why I said 1 meter. Have all the FCC papers just in case code enforcement comes by. My city is a little unique, it is in the game Trivial Pursuit for at least two subjects. It is the only town in the US (at least at the time) that McDonalds wasn't allowed to have their golden arches and it is the first fully planned community.

PSB said:
Hello John!
There will not be much difference between an 80cm and a 100cm dish, the extra 10cm all round will help with very weak signals and if it starts to rain. You would really see a difference with the slightly bigger dish and one of the very low noise LNBF (Invacom). Hope you have a lot of fun with the new hobby!

Another thing to remember is the brand of dish, often a good quality (American made) 80cm dish will work better than a Duff 100cm. (1m.)

My dish is a Fortec. Not really sure about the LNB though and what advantages I really have with the Universal - I have read up on it and basically came to the conclusion that I should have bought just a linear. Maybe I will find a really nice linear and just see what the differences are. They are all cheap enough.

Iceberg said:
Can I ask which area?

I know Ft Myers can be different with their rules :)

I am in Coral Springs, FL. It is a western suburb of Ft. Lauderdale but actually closer to Boca Raton

The Universal is Linear so you are good to go! Plus you can use it to pull in Cubavision on Pas 9 if you like Baseball and latin music : )

A universal linear LNBF just gives you a wider scanning range, in two bands switched using a 22khz tone.

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas9.html

PSB said:
The Universal is Linear so you are good to go! Plus you can use it to pull in Cubavision on Pas 9 if you like Baseball and latin music : )

Well my wife and in-laws are all latin so I am sure they will love the spanish channels - big baseball fans too. I play ice hockey and will be searching for some of Iceberg's favorite channels since we share the same passion.

John Walsh said:
It is the only town in the US (at least at the time) that McDonalds wasn't allowed to have their golden arches
Actually there is one other I know of and that is in Kensington, Connecticut.

Looks strange a big McDonnalds sign with no arches on the top.

John Walsh said:
Well my wife and in-laws are all latin so I am sure they will love the spanish channels - big baseball fans too. I play ice hockey and will be searching for some of Iceberg's favorite channels since we share the same passion.

I dont know the exact coordinates but
Wisconsin will be on SBS6 (74W)
MN Duluth should be on AMC9 (83W)

Do a smart scan on these tonight (Wisco is on at 8 and UMD is on at 9:30 your time) and you should be able to find them :)

Fridays and Saturdays I scan SBS6 and AMC9 starting around 5:45 Central for hockey games..

Iceberg said:
I dont know the exact coordinates but
Wisconsin will be on SBS6 (74W)
MN Duluth should be on AMC9 (83W)

Do a smart scan on these tonight (Wisco is on at 8 and UMD is on at 9:30 your time) and you should be able to find them :)

Fridays and Saturdays I scan SBS6 and AMC9 starting around 5:45 Central for hockey games..

This weekend (and probably next weekend also ) I am swamped with my soccer teams that are in playoffs and my own hockey games at night. I can probably catch some during the week

PSB said:

A universal linear LNBF just gives you a wider scanning range, in two bands switched using a 22khz tone.

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas9.html

Does "universal LNB" mean the same as "linear LNB", or "universal LNB" is a superset of "linear LNB" ?

What are "two band" ? I used to think 0khz is for 101, and 22khz is to select 110 (or 119) ?

Thanks.

A Universal is a linear LNBF

L.O.= 09750-10600

Bands
Low........ 10.750-11.700
High........ 11.700-12.750

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)