Finally Upgraded to Dish America

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I'm really a cheap bastard - - - thus it was very hard for me to justify moving up from the Welcome Pack to Dish America.

I had just recently upgraded my receiver from a VIP 211K to a VIP722 which I like very much because of the Dual Tuners.

My only regret is that I did not upgrade back when Dish Silver was still available. Believe it or not $46.99 a month still sounds like alot to pay for TV. We will see how it all goes. :)

Last edited:
I'm 52 and grew up with an antenna with only about 11 channels - - - thus the idea of pay TV was hard for me to adjust to. Never had cable TV before but really never wanted to go that route.

I'm really a cheap bastard - - - thus it was very hard for me to justify moving up from the Welcome Pack to Dish America.

I had just recently upgraded my receiver from a VIP 211K to a VIP722 which I like very much because of the Dual Tuners.

My only regret is that I did not upgrade back when Dish Silver was still available. Believe it or not $46.99 a month still sounds like alot to pay for TV. We will see how it all goes. :)

For just $3.01 more you can get even more channels with ATHD120,but for HD you would need autopay and paperless billing.Then it should be HD for Life.

For just $3.01 more you can get even more channels with ATHD120,but for HD you would need autopay and paperless billing.Then it should be HD for Life.

Dish America is $39.99 per month and Dish AT120 is $49.99 per month. That is $10 more per month. His $46.99 per month includes the DVR fee.
I have Dish America and Dish AT120 is not worth $10 more per month

For that money, I would cancel Dish and get DirecTV , it is only $29.99 for 150 Channels for a year. Then you can downgrade to their cheapest package, which is their welcome pack at the same $40

Dish America is $39.99 per month and Dish AT120 is $49.99 per month. That is $10 more per month. His $46.99 per month includes the DVR fee.

I feel the exact opposite. Dish America doesn't deliver the value at $10 less per month compared to AT120. Especially since my two favorite channels, AMC and FX, aren't included in the DA package. Like I've said before, if I had to cut down from AT120, I would go with my local cabelco. They have a clear QAM package (over 60 channels like AMC, NatGeo, FX, USA, etc.) that would only cost me an additional $15 ($20 with taxes) on top of my $75 internet/phone package. I would set-up my htpc to record the clear QAM channels instead of the ota channels it currently records.

I feel the exact opposite. Dish America doesn't deliver the value at $10 less per month compared to AT120. Especially since my two favorite channels, AMC and FX, aren't included in the DA package. Like I've said before, if I had to cut down from AT120, I would go with my local cabelco. They have a clear QAM package (over 60 channels like AMC, NatGeo, FX, USA, etc.) that would only cost me an additional $15 ($20 with taxes) on top of my $75 internet/phone package. I would set-up my htpc to record the clear QAM channels instead of the ota channels it currently records.

Different strokes for different folks. Dish America is perfect for me.

Well because I wanted HD for Life AT120 is the cheapest you can go for that program,so for myself the extra channels and having HD for Life is worth it.But as the one poster said different strokes for different folks,just did not know if he knew and wanted HD for Life.:)

He doesn't need HD for life since the Dish America package is all HD anyway. If he changes packages to one of the AT packages, then he can get HD for life.

This is exactly where I am. I compared Smark Pack, Dish America and AT120 and the best value "for me" was DA. Only had it one day but very happy so far. Although I liked the Welcome Pack - - - I think I will stay on DA as it has most things I wanted. Everything is a trade-off but this seemed to be the right fit for me.

As to moving up to the AT120 it would be $10 a month more thus $120 per year more. I was indeed including the $7 DVR fee in my $46.99.

You will lose the Music channels, TV land, Reelz, and FX with the Dish America Plan over the Dish AT120. There are a few others you will lose, but to me I don't care about them because I don't watch them.
I would miss the three channels I mentioned previously. As for the music, I only listen to one channel so that would not be a big lose for me.
I just wish that DIY, Military Channel and History 2 were moved to the AT120 or maybe the AT200.

Music channels??

I pay Dish for TV not music.

If I want music I'll turn on my XM radio.

Drop all the music and give me $10 off my bill.

More crap that 99% of us don't want dropped in to a package .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)