Finding one end of the arc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schnitz411

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Hi all-
Consulting the group one more time getting set up.
I have a 4dtv pointing a BUD and using a new coolsat 7100 for viewing.
Have succesfully located AMC3, G28, G11, and G26 in their respective locations. Am now trying to find the west(?) end of the arc: AMC6, G17, AMC5 and AMC9.
Unfortunately the 4dtv signal meter barely changes at all once I get past AMC3 so I'm basically shooting blind trying to find anything, especially since few of these have any Analog C to test the tuning and I have to run a full scan on the Coolsat to see if I have anything.

Looking for any guidance from folks on better techniques for aiming.

My only idea thus far is that while the location "#s" on the 4dtv don't seem to mean anything themselves that there is about a 6 number change per degree...but that doesn't seem to be working at the far end of the arc.

Thanks again for your help.

I think his issue is the 4DTV moves the dish and there isnt any analog on those sats he noted

On AMC5 digital (K5 600) is Oklahoma PBS

Exactly. Right now I have to make a blind guess on the 4dtv and then run a full scan on coolsat and try to figuyre out what I have. Looking to figure out more efficienbt way to aim with 4dtv based on relative positions of sats or something.

If you have KU capability lets see

AMC5 (79W) channel 600 on KU is Oklahoma PBS (as noted above)
AMC2/16 (85W) has a test card on TP24...its fuzzy but works

another option is to have a TV setup for the Coolsat separate from the 4DTV...set up a transponder for SBS6/H2 like Ohio News (11733 H 6616) and move the big dish until the quality comes in :)

If you're C-Band only then most of the eastern sats you don't need as they are KU only

Use the meter in the Coolsat vs. the 4DTV. In the Coolsat go to the Sat / Antenna Setup Menu, as Iceberg said - Select SBS6/G17/H2 - TP 11733 H 6616. Then using the 4DTV, drive the Dish to the East watching the Coolsat for a Quality Signal. You know approx. how many numbers per degree, so you can figure out a good starting point. This way is easiest if you have 2 TVs. one for the 4DTV, one for the Coolsat. Continue this way untill you have all the Sats. Remember to have a Live TP for each Sat selected in the Coolsats Setup Menu.

Last edited:
Hmmm. This is helpful but I am still confused. So I created and selected the SBS6/G17/H2 - TP 11733 H 6616 on the Coolsat. Then I started moving the dish using the 4dtv. The thing is I am consistently seeing a pretty much unchanging SIGNAL of 80 or so on the coolsat, but the quality bar never goes up at all (always on zero).
I assume the "signal" on the bottom of the coolsat screen the transponder signal?
Thoughts?

I have tried multiple channels but not positive -- are odd or even horizontal?

I think it depends on what Sat is selected on the 4DTV(It's been a while).
I only used Channels 1 and 2. Ku is very touchy. Calculate where 74west should be and drive there, 4DTV to channel 1 and slowly drive the dish to the East and West, if nothing switch to channel 2 and repeat. If still nothing, you may not be Tracking the Arc accuratly and need to adjust. Is your Coolsat connected to the C Band LNB? C Band is easier to find so you may want to start there. The NASA on AMC 6 @ 72 west is a Strong TP (4040 Vert 26665)
Make sure you have a C Band Sat setup in the Coolsat:
LNB Type = Standard
L.O.= 5150

Getting nowhere fast....Just to make sure I'm understanding this right.
1) on 4dtv, go into the sat configuration and select the sat I am working on and start it where I think it should be
2) on coolsat, open up the configuration and create/move to a transponder i know exists (ie Ohio tv)
3) Move the dish right and left using 4dtv slowly
4) watch the coolsat QUALITY indicator....I should find it somewhere. If not, I have a different problem (like elevation or something).

Questin about the above directions. I'm not sure I'm using the Coolsat "meter" correctly as I am not getting quality indicators in the channel search screen even on things I know come in fine and arre currently up.
Can someone tell me exactly what screen I should be in when I am moving my dish using 4dtv to see when I get quality on the signal?

In the Coolsat, go to the Channel Search Menu, select Manual Search, select Live TP from Freq. list, at the bottom there should be the Signal and Quality Meters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts