Finding your OTA Mapping Online

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
This was posted at the Yahoo Forum and it is a good idea to check your local OTA mapping. Mine matches what I am getting with the VOOM STB.

You can see your local OTA mapping. This will tell you what locals you can expect to see mapped to your VOOM receiver.

1. Goto VOOM website www.voom.com
  2. Select the "Use it" menu.
  3. Select "Program Guide"
  4. Enter your zip code (it will take a few seconds...)[/list:eek:]

Quick Link

Isn't it cool? It also has all your other SD + HD channels with the program schedule from zap2it.com. If you go through www.zap2it.com, the locals do not show up.

Sean Mota said:
Isn't it cool? It also has all your other SD + HD channels with the program schedule from zap2it.com. If you go through www.zap2it.com, the locals do not show up.

Me thinks it needs updating! I tried it just to see what it brought up, and it told me that there was no such zip code. Since the zip code changed early this year, I tried the old zip code. Told me that wasn't a zip code. Changed it to the closest "metro" area and it worked fine, but it brought up one station that's 80-85 miles away from that zip code. Strange...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Me thinks it needs updating! I tried it just to see what it brought up, and it told me that there was no such zip code. Since the zip code changed early this year, I tried the old zip code. Told me that wasn't a zip code. Changed it to the closest "metro" area and it worked fine, but it brought up one station that's 80-85 miles away from that zip code. Strange...

~Alan

Alan, is you mapping correct on the VOOM receiver or not? Are you getting a signal? How is your mapping?

Sean Mota said:
Alan Gordon said:

~Alan

Alan, is you mapping correct on the VOOM receiver or not? Are you getting a signal? How is your mapping?

I don't have VOOM (and don't intend to with the prices, lack of some of my family's favorite channels, high startup prices and the PQ and receiver bugs I've seen at Sears), I was just curious as to what it would bring up, and it didn't work for me.

~Alan

This maybe the reason is not showing up. I think this listing is customized to current zipcodes of current subscribers (an assumption).

Sean Mota said:
This maybe the reason is not showing up. I think this listing is customized to current zipcodes of current subscribers (an assumption).

Makes sense... I still doubt that WRBL-DT should be listed in the guide for Albany, when Columbus is so far away... and if it's listed, why not add the other Columbus locals...

~Alan

Alan,

thanks for sending those zip codes. I tried the first four. The first it could not find but the next three it gave me a mapping for WRBL (3.1), WTVY (4.1), WLTZ (38.1) & WGIQ (43.1).

Here's a quick link to it: Quick Link

Sean Mota said:
Alan,

thanks for sending those zip codes. I tried the first four. The first it could not find but the next three it gave me a mapping for WRBL (3.1), WTVY (4.1), WLTZ (38.1) & WGIQ (43.1).

Here's a quick link to it: Quick Link

Well, I don't see any reason talking about it much more since I don't have VOOM and I don't have access to HDTV until Spring, but I just think it's strange that when I try the Albany zip code, I recognize all three channels, even though one of them is pretty far away from Albany, yet whenever I enter in the zip codes now for where I live, like you did, it gives me the same listings as you, but I only recognize the call signs for WRBL (CBS, Columbus GA), and (NBC, Columbus GA), yet I have two local stations about 15 minutes away from me that it doesn't list, and WTVY and WGIQ I have no idea where they come from... well, I think WGIQ might be in Florida, but I'm not sure where WTVY comes from... Tallahassee?!

~Alan<~~~~~~~Who REALLY thinks they need to do some updating...

Sean I have looked at my mapoping and see all the things I was promised however none of the ota chancels come in, I can't get the info on any other channels so I have no idea what is on (except thur the VOOM program guide on the net ) this is getting to the point I am ready to dump it . No questions it is the best picture quality when I can figure out what to see. I have called the help desk about 5 different times about this and incorrect billing problems and am just about ready to tell them to come and pick it up and give me a call when the bugs get worked out.
This is as bad as the computer indusrty back in the early days when we had to write our own programs and watch the box crash. 25 years later it doesn't look as though any one has moved forward.
If i have to reboot one more time then that will be it they can come and pick it up :( :no :( :(

We have been through this before. The Zap2it VOOM listing isn't necessarily what is going to be mapped. The VOOM channel maps are the channels in your DMA, but the Zap2it listings are what you "should" receive.

I used that site to see what would be mapped before I ordered VOOM. I expected the channels on the Zap2it listings to actually show on the STB. After I got VOOM only 2 of the 8 stations listed on Zap2it were in the map and I didn't received those 2 stations. I had to go through a month long process do get my map changed to an adjacent DMA just to watch the 5 stations I could receive.

However, the Zap2it listings is a good indicator of what you should receive when we get the scanning software. It is not a good indicator of what will actually be on your channel map.

bryan27 said:
However, the Zap2it listings is a good indicator of what you should receive when we get the scanning software. It is not a good indicator of what will actually be on your channel map.
Exactly, I live on the edge of both the Oklahoma City and Tulsa DMA's. I am in the OKC DMA by 7 miles and am only mapped to those stations (which ZAP2it does not have correct either). I am okay with the DMA I am in because I only watch the OKC stations anyway, but I know most of you that live on the border of 2 DMA's want to receive the one you are not mapped to. However, the Tulsa stations are in the ZAP2it guide and I occasionally get them on random channels. I cannot believe Voom "thought" they should handle locals this way and if they do, they should at least get all of the channels in a specific DMA mapped.

chuckl said:
Sean I have looked at my mapoping and see all the things I was promised however none of the ota chancels come in, I can't get the info on any other channels so I have no idea what is on (except thur the VOOM program guide on the net ) this is getting to the point I am ready to dump it . No questions it is the best picture quality when I can figure out what to see. I have called the help desk about 5 different times about this and incorrect billing problems and am just about ready to tell them to come and pick it up and give me a call when the bugs get worked out.
This is as bad as the computer indusrty back in the early days when we had to write our own programs and watch the box crash. 25 years later it doesn't look as though any one has moved forward.
If i have to reboot one more time then that will be it they can come and pick it up :( :no :( :(

Correct me if I am wrong. It sounds like your mapping is correct (the local channels that you are supposed to get show up in the PG) but you are not getting any signal on them.

If my assumption is correct, you need to look at www.antennaweb.org (click on digital only) and find out how far are your locals from you and direction. Then you need to know what type of antenna you have right now and see if the range in UHF and VHF channels is appropiate for your location.

Once you can post this information, we can determine whether you need a stronger antenna or re-aiming or maybe your connection are right. Take a look at the "in your area" forum there is good information there. I will be moving this thread overthere.

I went to the antennaweb site and got this info....

* yellow - uhf KCKA-DT 19 PBS CENTRALIA WA TBD 182° 13.9 19
green - uhf KCKA 15 PBS CENTRALIA WA 182° 13.9 15
blue - uhf K53AZ 53 CBS CENTRALIA, ETC. WA 183° 13.5 53
blue - uhf K42CM 42 FOX CENTRALIA, ETC. WA 182° 13.9 42
blue - uhf K25CH 25 WB Chehalis/Centrailia WA 182° 13.9 25
violet - vhf KCPQ 13 FOX TACOMA WA 349° 56.0 13
violet - uhf KWOG 51 IND BELLEVUE WA 22° 70.2 51
violet - uhf KHCV 45 SAH SEATTLE WA 22° 70.1 45
violet - uhf KWDK 56 DAY TACOMA WA 22° 70.1 56
violet - uhf KTBW 20 TBN TACOMA WA 349° 56.0 20
violet - uhf KWPX 33 PAX BELLEVUE WA 22° 70.1 33
violet - uhf KBTC 28 PBS TACOMA WA 11° 42.4 28

and this pic...
http://arcimsmaps.decisionmark.com/output/combined3_ARCIMS1608189654473.png

Now even if I cant get HD from my locals can I still get OTA SD and totally cancel my Comcast??? That would rule....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)