Finiding Satellite on CaptiveWorks CW-500S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Yankeefan3783

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Hi, I recently purchased a 36" FTA satellite and a CaptiveWorks CW-500S receiver. I'm searching for Galaxy 19 in the setup menu, but that specific satellite isn't listed. I have Galaxy 11, 11C, etc., but not 19. Are these satellite pre-programmed into the receiver? If so, is there a way to find Galaxy 19 even if its not listed? The user manual doesn't really mention any of this.

Thanks

Galaxy 19 has gone through a few name changes...It has been
Galaxy 19
Galaxy 25**
IA5
T5

Its probably under G25...or just look for the sat that says "97.0W"

Like Iceberg said, it's probably in there, but maybe under a different name. Also, you could setup your receiver to work on 97W on ANY of the satellites that are pre-loaded into the box, if you wanted. As long as the other setup info is correct, you can receive a signal. :)

Thanks for the help guys. Right now on IA 5 and I'm only getting a 5-20% power strength, and 0-10% signal. Looking through the manual, but not seeing how to set up my receiver to search for 97W satellites only.

Thanks for the help guys. Right now on IA 5 and I'm only getting a 5-20% power strength, and 0-10% signal. Looking through the manual, but not seeing how to set up my receiver to search for 97W satellites only.

Do you know what kind of LNBF you have, Standard or Universal? You need to go into your menus, select IA5 and set your receiver up properly. If you have a Standard LNBF (and no switches inline) here are some sample setting that you might use:

LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Standard
LNB Freq: 10750
22 KHz: OFF
DiSEqC Switch: OFF

You also need to enter an active transponder on 97W, say:

12151 (Frequency) H (orizontal) 20000 SR (Symbol Rate)

Once you have all your settings correct then you can start slowing moving your dish and try to find 97W.

I know nothing of CW receivers so consider this info generic, just dive in to your menus and look for the things I have listed. If your LNBF is Universal (rather than Standard) it will require different setting so let us know.

Not sure if my LNBF is stardard or universal, but I got this info off it:

Zintech
FSS Digital KU LNBF
FREQ: 11.7~12.2 GHz
N/F: 0.3 dB

It's a single LNB.

I was able to successfully enter the numbers given to me, unfortunately the power strength remains at 5-20% and signal quality at 0-10%. I moved the dish slightly in a few directions, but those numbers never changed.

Last edited:
Enter your location in Dishpointer, and then select 97W, it will show you what direction you should be pointing, it will also give you your elevation. Note that the elevation scales are not real accurate on some dishes, off 5 degrees or more sometimes.

Post some pics of your dish and mount if you can, that may give us more clues.

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Cool thanks. Yea, I was following dish pointer's set up. I'll try to post some pictures of my setup in the next couple of days.

Thats a standard LNB so set it up as
STANDARD or SINGLE (I forget which one the CW shows)
LNB Frequency 10750

Here's a link to the pictures of the satellite setup. I can display them in this thread if that's better as well.

FTA Satellite pictures by mike3783 - Photobucket
Pictures are of the LNB, direction in the sky that the dish is pointed at, elevation, and TV screen.

I've been working on it today too, with no success.

Thanks

OK...first push the LNB as far back away from the dish to the holder as you can
Is there an antenna setup menu you can post?

Also with signal that low (not quality...signal) something may not be hooked right. Normally my receivers show 75 or higher on signal even if not aimed at something...make sure the cable is hooked to the SAT IN and not ANT IN...antenna in is for an OTA antenna passthrough

I agree on that Signal level sounding rather low. Do you get the same reading when the LNBF is unhooked? You might check that and see what you get, if it doesn't change I would suspect a bad cable/connection.

Another thought, that looks like a pretty lightly-built dish, I wonder if it could be warped, or the LNBF support arm out of alignment?

I agree on that Signal level sounding rather low. Do you get the same reading when the LNBF is unhooked? You might check that and see what you get, if it doesn't change I would suspect a bad cable/connection.

Another thought, that looks like a pretty lightly-built dish, I wonder if it could be warped, or the LNBF support arm out of alignment?

I unplugged the LNB, and it gives me the same reading. So no difference it being plugged or unplugged. I also scrolled through the other satellites and I get the same reading there.

I checked the cable and it does work. It's the same cable my Dish Network dish was connected to, but I cancelled them earlier this month, so I figure it should be high enough quality to use for an FTA dish. I have it connected directly from the LNB to the receiver, not running through any switches or anything like that. As far as the arm or warped dish, I'll have to inspect that. Thanks for the tips.

BTW, could it be a bad LNB? If so, would my old Dish Network LNB be compatible with an FTA system?

I unplugged the LNB, and it gives me the same reading. So no difference it being plugged or unplugged. I also scrolled through the other satellites and I get the same reading there.

I checked the cable and it does work. It's the same cable my Dish Network dish was connected to, but I cancelled them earlier this month, so I figure it should be high enough quality to use for an FTA dish. I have it connected directly from the LNB to the receiver, not running through any switches or anything like that. As far as the arm or warped dish, I'll have to inspect that. Thanks for the tips.

BTW, could it be a bad LNB? If so, would my old Dish Network LNB be compatible with an FTA system?

Do you have another coax to substitute for the existing? Possibly take your receiver, a small tv and a short coax up to the dish and watch what is happening up close and realtime?

Your old DN LNBF will not work, it is for circularly-polarized signals, you need linear. There is always a possibility you have a bad LNBF, but I don't know of a good way of determining that, unless you have another linear one to swap it out with. Most of the time when people have issues, it seems that the LNBF is functional and something else is the problem. Do you know anyone that has another receiver that might let you try it, so you could eliminate your CW as being the problem? Just throwing out thoughts here.

Do you have another coax to substitute for the existing? Possibly take your receiver, a small tv and a short coax up to the dish and watch what is happening up close and realtime?

Your old DN LNBF will not work, it is for circularly-polarized signals, you need linear. There is always a possibility you have a bad LNBF, but I don't know of a good way of determining that, unless you have another linear one to swap it out with. Most of the time when people have issues, it seems that the LNBF is functional and something else is the problem. Do you know anyone that has another receiver that might let you try it, so you could eliminate your CW as being the problem? Just throwing out thoughts here.

Unfortunately I don't have another receiver to swap out with. I currently have the TV and receiver near the dish, so I can see it in realtime. I did swap cable wires but with the same results. I will continue to try though, I'm sure I'll get it, especially with all the great help I've been getting from this forum. Definitely appreciate it.

dang I'm trying to remember if the CW shows a decent signal if the LNB is not aimed properly. Most do but I know some wont until it locks on the signal

You could try this. Hook up the Dish Network LNB to the receiver. Go to the menu (main screen) and find something like Echostar 7 (119W...the LNB frequency should be 11250 instead of 10750)....if the signal jumps up high then the other LNB might be bad.

dang I'm trying to remember if the CW shows a decent signal if the LNB is not aimed properly. Most do but I know some wont until it locks on the signal

You could try this. Hook up the Dish Network LNB to the receiver. Go to the menu (main screen) and find something like Echostar 7 (119W...the LNB frequency should be 11250 instead of 10750)....if the signal jumps up high then the other LNB might be bad.

Good idea as usual Iceberg. It's been so long since I have even tried pointing at any of the circ sats I forgot that they are still very useful for aiming, and a lot easier to locate, with their high power output.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts