Finishing Basement

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Below is my current setup in black. I have had DirecTV for many years and now have a SWM setup. I am finishing my basement and want to make sure my coax plan will work. I just have 2 questions. Here they are:

1. I want to know if I can do what is in red. Basically, put a splitter after the main splitter. This would make it so I don't have to run another line all the way back to my home run. I know I can only use 4 DirecTV tuners at once but, want to be able to be prepared for the future.

2. If I ever sell my home and the next owner doesn't want satellite, will the DirecTV SWS splitters work with a cable setup being that they are "wide band" or will they have to switch all the splitters out for ones that work on the cable system?

Thanks in advance. Better to be safe then sorry.

a0f9lj.jpg

1) That should work fine as long as you don't have more than 8 tuners connected.
Each DVR counts as two.
I'll let other remark on the antenna with diplexer setup.

2) I don't believe the SWS splitters will work with cable TV.

You really don't need the 2 way SWS splitter. Just use the 8 way and connect the rooms as needed. If you change something then just connect the room as needed.

The splitters should be fine for cable TV. The trick is that they must pass all the requisite frequencies, and since SWM uses a wider band than cable, that should be fine.

The problem I see is that if you already have an 8-way splitter, then you probably already have 8 tuners. Is that right? or is it just 8 rooms wired? You can only have 8 tuners connected to a SWM LNB. DVRs count as two tuners, normal non-DVR receivers count as one. If you need more than that, you'll need a second dish.

I have 4 HD-DVR's (8 turners). I don't plan on getting any more but, I do want to be able to more them around my home as needed. By having multiple jack's in a room makes it easier and less likely that unsightly coax will be draped across my floor if I choose to put the TV in the opposite corner.

Think of this this way. Someone runs a single line to each room of there home from the 8 way home-run splitter. That person then splits the line off into 2 in the basement below that room and puts a jack in opposite corners of the room for convenience. They don't use both lines at the same time but, it's there in case they want to re-arrange the furniture in that room.

I have 4 HD-DVR's (8 turners). I don't plan on getting any more but, I do want to be able to more them around my home as needed. By having multiple jack's in a room makes it easier and less likely that unsightly coax will be draped across my floor if I choose to put the TV in the opposite corner.

Think of this this way. Someone runs a single line to each room of there home from the 8 way home-run splitter. That person then splits the line off into 2 in the basement below that room and puts a jack in opposite corners of the room for convenience. They don't use both lines at the same time but, it's there in case they want to re-arrange the furniture in that room.

Then it will work out just fine. You can split it however many times you want, and the splitters can be downstream from each other. Just make sure the PI stays between your SWM and the first splitter like you have it now, that way you don't have to worry about power passing, etc.

I have a similar situation with my MFH2 MDU building. I will have 3 DVDrs and 1 single tuner receiver. The SWS 8 will be placed inside my closet and 3 RG6 lines will go from it to 3 of my 4 rooms. Here is the problem: I can't run a cable to the 4th room from the SWS8 but I do have a RG6 cable running from the 3rd room to the 4th. Question: Can I use a SWS2 splitter on the 3rd room and split the signal between DVR2 and DVR3 ?

.............. RG6-1
. closet .-------------------------------DVR1
. SWS8 . .......RG6-2...................................SD receiver
.............. ......RG6-3...................................................................SWS2 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::DVR2 and DVR3

The difference between NutFlush' case and mine is that I will be using DVR2 and DVR3 at the same time.

Thank you for any help. My installation is schedulled in 3 weeks. DVRs will be HR22 or HR23.

I have a similar situation with my MFH2 MDU building. I will have 3 DVDrs and 1 single tuner receiver. The SWS 8 will be placed inside my closet and 3 RG6 lines will go from it to 3 of my 4 rooms. Here is the problem: I can't run a cable to the 4th room from the SWS8 but I do have a RG6 cable running from the 3rd room to the 4th. Question: Can I use a SWS2 splitter on the 3rd room and split the signal between DVR2 and DVR3 ?

.............. RG6-1
. closet .-------------------------------DVR1
. SWS8 . .......RG6-2...................................SD receiver
.............. ......RG6-3...................................................................SWS2 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::DVR2 and DVR3

The difference between NutFlush' case and mine is that I will be using DVR2 and DVR3 at the same time.

Thank you for any help. My installation is schedulled in 3 weeks. DVRs will be HR22 or HR23.

Yes, that is fine. With a SWM seutp, you can split it however you want, just like you can with cable. The only limitation is you need to use SWM splitters and you can only have a maximum of 8 tuners. You can have 4 2 port splitters in a row if you want, doesn't matter.

If you ever decide to switch to Dish, the splitters will have to be removed. Keep them accessible or better yet, make all runs homeruns.

If you ever decide to switch to Dish, the splitters will have to be removed. Keep them accessible or better yet, make all runs homeruns.

My building just signed a 10 years contract with MDU/Directv.

the splitters to pass swm signals need to carry 2.3-2250mhz, thos splitters will pass cable as well. When i install swm over cable, i usually wire it, then connect the cable to my 1x8 or 1x4 to give the custs tv while i mount the dish etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)