riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

Verizon Telecom

• FiOS Internet services are becoming increasingly available for sale in 16 states, as Verizon’s FTTP network passed more than 6 million premises by the end of the year. As previously announced, the company’s target is to pass 9 million premises by year-end 2007.

• FiOS Internet service penetration stands at more than 14 percent across all markets, with the service available for sale to 4.8 million premises as of the end of the year. This compares with more than 7 percent market penetration at year-end 2005. In December, Verizon Telecom announced the availability of TrueSwitch service, a product that helps Internet-access customers in switching to Verizon Internet or DSL services.
  • Verizon had 207,000 FiOS TV customers at year-end, and the service was available for sale to 2.4 million premises, with almost half of the increased availability in the fourth quarter occurring in the last two weeks of the year. This represents a 9 percent market penetration rate after the company’s first full year of offering video, and FiOS TV is now offered in more than 200 cities in parts of 10 states.
  • By year-end 2006, Verizon Telecom had obtained more than 600 cable TV franchises covering more than 7 million households. In the fourth quarter, the company announced programming distribution agreements with Comcast and Rainbow Media Holdings.
  • In early January 2007, Verizon Telecom introduced a new FiOS interactive media guide and a platform that offers the company’s growing base of FiOS TV customers a myriad of multimedia applications linking television, the Internet, personal computers and phones. Both will be available in the first half of 2007.
  • Complementing the FiOS TV rollout, Verizon now has 540,000 customers who receive a Verizon DIRECTV bundle, adding 44,000 net new customers in the fourth quarter.
  • In the fourth quarter, Verizon opened pilot Verizon Experience stores in Texas and Virginia. The hi-tech stores, featuring a concierge and innovative demo bar, bring together the services offered by Verizon Wireless and Verizon Telecom, including FiOS services; Verizon One, an advanced home communications system for broadband customers; and VoiceWing, a high-quality, low-cost, Internet-based calling service.

With recently cable TV franchise agreements, the number of active FiOS TV subscribers it at or over 250K. They appear to be on track to having 750K subscribers by the end of 2007. Anyway, while the numbers are promising deploying a nationwide fiber network is slow and steady work. To put into perspective, Dish Network's customer base is roughly 52 times larger than that of FiOS TV using the 250K number.

Verizon secrecy ain't so great

I'm at a point where I would like to dump D* and go to FIOS TV. I'm in Pacific Palisades, California, however, and I can't get any reliable information from any Verizon representative as far as how long it will take before there is a FIOS TV option in my area. I believe a recent law passed here in California will give them the right to provide service starting around April, but again, who knows when the actual opportunity to use their service will arrive?

The reason why it matters to me is that if it is going to take very long for FIOS to becoem avaialable, then I would rather bite the bullet and upgrade my D* satellite equipment (go to MPEG4 and lease a DVR). However, doing so will involve a 2-year commitment on my part, as far as I can tell, which will involve financial penalties if I default on it.

Is there anybody alive on Earth who knows when to expect FIOS TV in the Pacific Palisades highlands? Or am I just forced to assume it will take forever, and commit to having D* toture me for 2 more years?

guity,

Only Verizon knows the answer to your questions, and I doubt it's willing to tell you.

Verizon doesn't have the resources to install fiber everywhere at the same time. I'd expect that it goes first to the places that will give the most return for the money it spends. Neighborhoods with low installation costs and a large number of likely customers should expect to be first in line.

The CA city of Murrieta recognized the value of fiber early on and wisely allowed Verizon to install it throughout the city in an effort to attract business. Instead of trying to get as much money from Verizon as it could, the city eased the way and is now mostly fibered.

The recent CA bill that removes local roadblocks should make new installations easier, but Verizon will still skim the richest cream first.

I would love to have FiOS, but building a national fiber optic network takes time...plus, everyone at Verizon is competing for a limited amount of financial re$ource$ (i.e. Verizon Virginia wants money...so does Verizon New Jersey...Texas, etc.).

In my area, FiOS TV has been offered since November. But other than the initial build-out area, the only hard and fast requirement outlined in the franchise agreement is for Verizon to offer service to 60% of county residents within 7 years, and 80% by 10 years. Verizon is three miles from the subdivision, but my Central Office will have to upgraded, and someone at Verizon will have to come up with at least 20 million dollars and a business plan for our district.

Yep, it sucks...but I don't know what else to do. Recently my two Dish Network 622 HD DVRs were taken out of service as I took Comcast up on their offer of digital cable, HBO, Showtime, and Starz for $29.95 per month for 12 months. We enjoyed Dish Network service (the 622 and EPG and other features were excellent), but 60% or more of our viewing of free over-the-air broadcast shows and I was getting tired of HD-Lite.

I would rather have FiOS, but I can go back to Dish Network at anytime. I just don't want to get locked into any long-term contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts