FIOS after a month

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Switched from Dish about two weeks ago or so. So far the service is great. only minus is that they have my first name wrong on the account and it comes up wrong on caller ID. You would think that it would be an easy change, but apparently its not. Also, th first bill was totally wrong and the salesperson is trying to correct it. Seems like that will not be easy either. Both will eventually work out. It just rained really heavy here on LI and no interruption of service. Great.

congrats! Yes, I did hear that the billing dept is kind of messed up. I get 2 bills every month. I have no idea why... I checked to be sure and it is the same account number, due date and etc. I have not called on it yet..... lazy :) But other than that it seems ok so far even though I have made programming changes. I just did equipment changes this past week so hopefully it will not mess it all up on me.
We have had a lot of rain this past couple weeks and I did not lose my program or any recordings which was becoming an issue with my dish even though they had just come out and pointed it.

I'm not sure what he has his hands on, but the Tivo peanut remote fits comfortably in the hand and works pretty well. Just like a baseball, it will break-in with use. If you're use to the Dish Network DVR...just give it a week or two to get the hand of it.

He likes the tivo and how it responds. He is using the widescreen guide. He just says the peanut is too small :) He isn't a big kid either.... takes after mom.... so he doesnt have large hands. I think it is just that all of his other remotes are so big.

Ok So in our area the cisco boxes have started to be available and they are on the website. Apparently they started to install them the day our cablecard was installed but they did not make an announcement because they were afraid there would be a huge rush for them and they would not be able to supply them to all. Because of the vod we are not having a problem with the smaller hard drive. A friend called to ask if I still liked my fios and decided to try it because her directtv dish lost line of site because of trees so they would let her out of the contract. They did the fios and are loving it. I know some people do not like to hear about it but we are definitely not sorry we made the switch.

Got 3, yes THREE letters from Fios yesterday, trying to get me to add video. Too bad they make it so hard to find out what your actual bill would be. However, when my Dish contract nears completion, I guess I'll look at them again, with the new boxes. I just have so much on so many EHDs.

Got 3, yes THREE letters from Fios yesterday, trying to get me to add video. Too bad they make it so hard to find out what your actual bill would be. However, when my Dish contract nears completion, I guess I'll look at them again, with the new boxes. I just have so much on so many EHDs.

We got 3 dvrs when we first had ours installed. We do not really archive anything - we just buy what we want on bluray when it is released. With a lot of the shows we used to record on vod we do not have to record them so we are not having any problems with the smaller hard drive. They do have plans to upgrade the software to enable an ehd on these boxes and the new Cisco boxes have larger hard drives and if the ehd is not already enabled it will be. Since I haven't had FIOS that long and I am a rather patient person to begin with I'm satisfied

Switched from Dish about two weeks ago or so. So far the service is great. only minus is that they have my first name wrong on the account and it comes up wrong on caller ID. You would think that it would be an easy change, but apparently its not. Also, th first bill was totally wrong and the salesperson is trying to correct it. Seems like that will not be easy either. Both will eventually work out. It just rained really heavy here on LI and no interruption of service. Great.
Almost 3-years and not one second of downtime for me...phone, TV and Internet.

BTW, SatGal, thank you for adding to my cat avatar collection!

Might soon be the only cats I have. Both of our current two, at 14 years, have had NDEs, and we've decided not to replace them when they go. Not sure if I can get along without cats around. Besides, we've got several cat trees probably approaching$2k in costs!

Anyway, back on topic- I'll wait until Fios actually HAS those features, I don't lose certain channels, and is installing something similar to my ViP722 units. Of course, by then, Dish will have something newer that I might want. And, of course, Fios will have to actually tell me what my true monthly cost would be. Something they oddly seem reluctant to do.

But I must admit, a move to Fios is becoming more tempting.

BTW, SatGal, thank you for adding to my cat avatar collection!

Might soon be the only cats I have. Both of our current two, at 14 years, have had NDEs, and we've decided not to replace them when they go. Not sure if I can get along without cats around. Besides, we've got several cat trees probably approaching$2k in costs!

Anyway, back on topic- I'll wait until Fios actually HAS those features, I don't lose certain channels, and is installing something similar to my ViP722 units. Of course, by then, Dish will have something newer that I might want. And, of course, Fios will have to actually tell me what my true monthly cost would be. Something they oddly seem reluctant to do.

But I must admit, a move to Fios is becoming more tempting.

Glad to help out with the avatar collection :) Sorry to hear about the kitties :( My dog is 12 and having real issues with her hips. We know we are the downside and it is really sad. I don't know if I will be able to stick with it but I say the same.... no more after this one. It seems like it gets harder and harder to lose them.

The FIOS channel lineup was good for us. I think the only HD channel we used to watch that we do not get now is DIY but it wasn't a primary channel. We are not big sports fanatics so what we get in that area works for us as well. It's hard to compare the bundle because it is not comparing apples to apples but the bundle is cheaper than we were paying for the 3 items separately and we are getting a lot more. We have FIOS Ultimate. The HD channels are without a doubt much better with no rain fade and no digitizing.

In the case of FIOS VOD there is a ton of free stuff. It is not the same as Dish was. They have ABC, CBS, NBC and SYFY (amongst others) series on VOD. So instead of recording NCIS... or whatever, you can watch it on VOD. Small example but I am sure you get the idea.

I'd rather own it. Like all the episodes of "the pacific" in HD from HBO sitting on my shelf burned to BD from my PC via the tivoHD. If I want free I have hulu, HBO2go and that showtime thingy for most programs if I miss something but with 3 HD tivo's (1Tb a piece) and 6 recordable tuners that just doesnt happen. LOL

I can not personally compare them because I do not use the tivo but my son is pretty happy. For me it would not work as well because I have come to rely on (and really like) the vod and you can not do that with the tivo.

I have both. The TiVo user interface is much easier to use and it offers expansion capabilities, which the FiOS DVR does not. However, release 1.9 of the Fios software will allow additional storage to be added, at which point I may retire the TiVo, as it cannot access Fios on demand features. Tivo does have access to Amazon, Blockbuster and Netflix VOD, which Fios doesn't offer. But you can connect to them via a blu-ray player or PC. So as I said I may retire Tivo once release 1.9 is out.

Thank you. I was finally able to get some answers in a chat, and they weren't good. I posted some details here in post #141.

Thank you. I was finally able to get some answers in a chat, and they weren't good. I posted some details here in post #141.

Remember .... the Motorola boxes have the skip back and forward buttons as well. That is the one thing people keep thinking they do not have for some reason. In our case we have the 7216 dvr box and we really do not have any issues with it.... ...havent had to reset it yet :)
Two reasons we checked into FIOS in the first place were that our bill would be going up because we had 3 622s but mainly because our area was becoming very unreliable and we were tired of missing shows. We were constantly losing signal and missing the end of shows or missing recordings because of it. Because of where we were we had to have 61.5 satellite and it was not reliable at that time. It was simply time for us to change and for us it has worked out very well.

Thank you.

I might revisit the issue once they have EHDs working, but maybe not. Surprisingly, She Who Must Be Obeyed is strongly opposed to moving to Fios, especially if the savings is only about $25/month. Part of it is programming, but I think most of it is that she loves the ViP722 and wants nothing less.

To me, Fios positives, in no particular order:
-$25 or so less per month, after the first year.
-Military History Channel
-Better PQ.
-More locals, with EPG (love that MPT with old British comedies- but I've seen almost all of them).
-Few if any weather interruptions. Get few with Dish now on EA, but more than when we were on 61.5/110/119.

Fios negatives, in no particular order:
-Lesser HD DVRs, both function & storage wise.
-CSRs often seem worse than Dish CSRs.
-If there is a weather outage, it will take a lot longer than Dish to come back.
-Some rewiring of house.
-Major efforts to watch/record onto Hauppauge or similar everything I've recorded on EHDs.
-No chance of watching while at our campground. I still hold out hope of putting up a 1000.4 there, and carting over a receiver, but doubt I'll ever do it. Limited speed 3G there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)