FIOS DVR 30 second skip doesn't

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Anthony2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
I have 3 FIOS DVRs and the 30 second skip is disabled on all of them starting sometime on Tues. 3/6. I am located on Long Island (Seaford). Anyone else with this problem?

I live in Westchester County, NY, and I lost my 30-second skip on Wednesday, March 7. I bought a different programmable remote, thinking that was the problem, but that didn't help. I called Verizon FiosTV Tech Support, but they claimed ignorance of the loss of the 30-second skip feature. (Besides, they said, it's not a supported function). All they could do was offer to perform a complete system reset, but that didn't help.

If Verizon is unwilling or unable to restore the 30-second skip feature, there's not much reason for me to stay with them. Other providers (satellite, cable TV) are willing to proudly promote and indeed, advertise their DVRs complete WITH the 30-second skip feature. The best I could do now would be to swap out my Motorola DVR for a plain set-top box and get a TiVo.

My recommendation for all would-be Verizon FiosTV customers is WAIT until Verizon relizes the error of their ways, and don't switch providers UNTIL Verizon restores the 30-second skip feature.

My recommendation for all would-be Verizon FiosTV customers is WAIT until Verizon relizes the error of their ways, and don't switch providers UNTIL Verizon restores the 30-second skip feature.

They didn't kill it on purpose. It comes and goes for me.

They're well aware of the problem and working on a fix.

It just occurred to me that the phrase above would be an excellent title for a book about software design...

Doesn't Verizon have the commmercial that has the two cell phone companies bidding and the competitor says "We are aware of that problem and we are working on it" after the cardboard cutouts fall down?? Seems Verizon doesn't pay attention to their own commercials.:D

If it were not soo funny I'd be in tears. It's been MANY months now. Time to step up and fix all of these 'problems'. Here is my version of a short list:

1) Fix the menus that do not display correctly in 1080 mode.
2) Make the menus opaque rather than shrinking the viewing screen.
3) Make a multi-room HD PVR device (this probably should be #1).
4) Fix the annoying feature flap like the 30 second deal.
5) Fix the audio dropout problems.
6) Provide all the HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime HD channels.
7) ALLOW THE CUSTOMER TO TURN OFF THE GOD AWFUL SET TOP DISPLAY AT NIGHT!!
8) Increase the disk space in the PVR's.
9) Provide remotes that allow the fulll set of featuress, like 30 second skip, to all customers free of charge.
10) In the menus, allow the scroller to move up and down from the top so you down have to scroll all the way down to reach the bottom you just have to scroll up past the top.

More as I think of them.

Ditto

Doesn't Verizon have the commmercial that has the two cell phone companies bidding and the competitor says "We are aware of that problem and we are working on it" after the cardboard cutouts fall down?? Seems Verizon doesn't pay attention to their own commercials.:D

If it were not soo funny I'd be in tears. It's been MANY months now. Time to step up and fix all of these 'problems'. Here is my version of a short list:

9) Provide remotes that allow the fulll set of featuress, like 30 second skip, to all customers free of charge.
10) In the menus, allow the scroller to move up and down from the top so you down have to scroll all the way down to reach the bottom you just have to scroll up past the top.

More as I think of them.
all the above (#5 in particular) + my $.02 worth;)
11) provide the swap feature indicated in the manual
12) provide a page up / down feature when viewing the guide

30 sec skip

:mad: I have been told by a FIOS Tech that the 30 sec skip is gone due to TIVO winning their law suit.

The 30 sec skip is TIVO property and is not licensed to FIOS:mad:

:mad: I have been told by a FIOS Tech that the 30 sec skip is gone due to TIVO winning their law suit.

Huh! then make it 35 seconds or 29 seconds. Duh! I may have missed something but I am in the technology industry and an not familiar with any lawsuit. Me thinks me smells a lame excuse.:eek:

For the other poster, page up and down does work in menus using the page up and down feature. What does not work is if you start at the top and wixh to see the bottom you cannot page up and have it scroll backwards, unless you have scrolled down past the end first. On long lsust this can be a real task. :mad:

Oh, and Amen to #5, the sound dropouts. I am glad to hear that others are having the same problem. Please, please, please call and complain. I am tired of having them tell me it must be my inside cabeling and that they need to send a tech out to test. It was already tested and I am not about to pay 50.00 to have them tell me that there is no problem, or make one up just to make me feel better. I can tell you that when they remotely reflash the device it does seem to help, bt with time it gets right back to the same problem. The other day I had both sets on the same channel and witnessed audio and viceo drops (very severe). After a reboot from them the problem disappeared. Ain't magic wonderful!

It's not gone....it's broken. I watched a recording of Cold Case last night and it worked perfectly. A couple days ago it didn't work at all.

It comes and goes.

More as I think of them.

1. I don't have any problem with that.
2. That's coming in the next version of the guide.
3. That's already available.
4. Hopefully soon. It's a pain not knowing if it will work.
5. Again, I'm not having that problem.
6. Hear Hear! More HD in general. In NY/NJ MSG and FSN are sorely needed.
7. Yup. Damn thing lights up the whole room.
8. More is always better.
9. Aren't they supplying the Philips remotes to everyone now? Is there a charge to swap them out?
10. Agreed. In fact, some do and some don't. Poor design as far as consistency goes.

1. I don't have any problem with that.
2. That's coming in the next version of the guide.
3. That's already available.
4. Hopefully soon. It's a pain not knowing if it will work.
5. Again, I'm not having that problem.
6. Hear Hear! More HD in general. In NY/NJ MSG and FSN are sorely needed.
7. Yup. Damn thing lights up the whole room.
8. More is always better.
9. Aren't they supplying the Philips remotes to everyone now? Is there a charge to swap them out?
10. Agreed. In fact, some do and some don't. Poor design as far as consistency goes.

Thanks Rob. On #1 the problem is that on most occasions you cannot view the entire show name and in many cases you cannot see what is showing in the next hour without scrolling over. I never had this problem with AT&T Cable, or Dish. I have a 65" HD set and the menu is limited in VERY LARGE FONT to standard 14:3 ratio.

On #5, you will notice that others are experiencing the problems. They occure more during the day, I work from home, than in the evening.

#9, I believe that there is a charge for the new remotes, but I do not know that ofr a fact. They know who has the old remotes and should ship new ones as a courtesy since they are lacking features.

Oh, and since I had service before the price increases I am very careful not to make ANY changes to my account in fear that my rates will go up considerably.

As I posted above, the 30-second skip feature became inoperable for me two weeks ago. As of last night, the 30-second skip feature has returned! It's impossible to say with any certainty if it will stay enabled or not, but I'm just glad it's back again.

As for the Tivo and Verizon legal issues, the only thing I can determine has to do with the FCC mandated July 1st deadline for cablecards for ALL set top boxes. Details about this issue can be found elsewhere on the web.

Regards,

R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)