Fios HD Availability

alan518

Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Just spoke to multiple FIOS reps, and have been consistently told that there are no HD boxes available, and could take up to 4 months for the problem to be resolved. They are offering 4 months of free standard definition dvrs in the interim. Boy, what a way to bring momentum to a screeching halt. No way I go 4 months without HD. I was going to order FIOS TV and upgrade my landline and DSL to FIOS service. Now I am totally gone. Hello Directv or Cablevision.

Hi Alan, not sure where you are located but I am on Long Island and just had fios tv installed last saturday and received an HD DVR box. I think the problem is you actually are speaking to a verizon rep, I ordered everything for my set up online with no problems at all. I just chose the HD DVR box when I placed the order online.

Hi James: I live on Long island as well. the reps are saying that the memo regarding the inventory came out on Friday Feb 1. Perhaps I will try to place the order on line. Thanks. BTW What is your impression of the service so far?

I think its great. The HD picture is awesome and the DVR is just as good as TiVo although people will tell you TiVo is better. Plus I heard they are addng like 60 HD channels by the spring and by the end of the year they will have 150 total HD channels. I have not seen the first bill yet so hopefully there is no problem with that I heard some people had a problem with some strange charges.

I think its great. The HD picture is awesome and the DVR is just as good as TiVo although people will tell you TiVo is better. Plus I heard they are addng like 60 HD channels by the spring and by the end of the year they will have 150 total HD channels. I have not seen the first bill yet so hopefully there is no problem with that I heard some people had a problem with some strange charges.

I too have switched to FIOS, and so far the service has been great. As for the billing issues, I have noticed in various posts that the common factor for the people who had problems with billing was that they did not have the phone service with Verizon, i.e. Vonage, Comcast, etc. So if you have your current voice service with Verizon you should be OK... I think... I did not receive the first bill so I am hoping that I won't have any issues with it. :)

All orders that were created before last Friday (2-1-08) should be honored for the HD and HD DVR set tops. Last I heard the weather in China and work stoppages @ their plants created a shortage in the chips used in the Motorola HD boxes, but you'll never get a truthful answer if you ask me. April is the alleged date for more HD boxes to come in. I've also heard that the Verizon Plus stores have some in stock and that you can go and pick them up possibly. :confused:

Evidently the high demand of the HD & HD DVR boxes has created the shortage within Verizon. Poor planning on someone's part seems to be the culprit. :(

Evidently the high demand of the HD & HD DVR boxes has created the shortage within Verizon. Poor planning on someone's part seems to be the culprit. :(

A reason for the shortage I heard was that the bad weather in China was helping to cause the shortage.

I told their customer service department to call me when the HD boxes come in, and then I would order the FIOS TRIPLE PLAY service. Anyone want to bet that I never get a call?

Another issue with production in China around the second week of February this year was Chinese New Year. The whole country basically shuts down for a week. I work in international transportation, and the Chinese New Year hits us on the west coast about 18-20 days after the actual event every year. 18-20 days is the transit time for ships from Asia to the US. There has been very little coming off the docks in the last week or so.

I have noticed some orange line being installed a bit north of my neighborhood on the main road. There are Verizon signs around the work site. I hope this means FiOS is on its way. I live in North Pinellas county in Florida. Has anybody heard anything about the Safety harbor area/

North Pinellas is suppose to open up in the near future. The orange line you are speaking of is conduit that will protect the fiber once its buried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)