FiOS internet SLOW

qposner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
I had Fios installed 8.28 to replace my Comcast. i was generally happy with Comcast broadband, but Fios was cheaper and promised to be faster. Anyhow, I have the 10/2 plan, but average 5/1 on Speedtest. I am very disappointed in this speed. Could it be the router they installed? Do I need their router or can I install my old Lynksis that I used with Comcast?

Thanks!
Quinn

Could it be the router they installed? Do I need their router or can I install my old Lynksis that I used with Comcast?
Wire your computer direct to the modem. That will remove all the uncertainties. If the speeds don't pick up, you're still 20%+ faster than my Comcast connection.

Thanks Harsh. 4mbs down? Yikes! I was 8-10 with Comcast.
The signal has to find its way between bullets, arrows and tomahawks out here in the Wild West. ;) We're offered only the 8Mb and 6Mb packages out here. That should change soon as Qworst is currently offering their 12Mb fiber service (with sustained speeds upwards of 6Mb) in my neighborhood.

As the commercials note, Powerboost only lasts for seven seconds and you're back down to some middling fraction of rated speed.

The signal has to find its way between bullets, arrows and tomahawks out here in the Wild West. ;) We're offered only the 8Mb and 6Mb packages out here. That should change soon as Qworst is currently offering their 12Mb fiber service (with sustained speeds upwards of 6Mb) in my neighborhood.

As the commercials note, Powerboost only lasts for seven seconds and you're back down to some middling fraction of rated speed.

Im only 45 minutes north of you in Gresham.

speed tests!

Morning!

I just did a few speed tests here and I'm getting between 12 to 15 down. I'm provisioned for 15 down. I'm just 5 miles north of Seattle. You probably did this, check all connections even the ones out side at the box. I found a couple loose ones outside myself.

Thxs!

Eric

I have the 10/2 package also, and consistently get down speeds of 10+ (10.3 is pretty normal for me). The best part is that I get that no matter what time day or night I'm on line. If you're not getting your advertized speeds, there's definitely something not right with your setup.

Try this website from verizon. You can test and optimize your connection using Verizon's online utility optimizer.

Verizon Online - FiOS Speed Test

I had Fios installed 8.28 to replace my Comcast. i was generally happy with Comcast broadband, but Fios was cheaper and promised to be faster. Anyhow, I have the 10/2 plan, but average 5/1 on Speedtest. I am very disappointed in this speed. Could it be the router they installed? Do I need their router or can I install my old Lynksis that I used with Comcast?

Thanks!
Quinn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts