FiOS TV installation - D/FW area

capdatazz

Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
(First-time poster, so I apologize in advance...I cross-posted this on broadbandreports/dslreports)

I live in Sachse, TX and am currently a Dish Network customer. I'll be switching to FiOS TV on Monday, 8-14. I had a question or two (or three or four) about the installation process. I'm currently a FiOS internet customer, so I would think that some of the work has already been done. Is that right? Verizon will be setting up two STBs in two different rooms. Those rooms already have coax running to them, and I believe that all the coax in the house runs through a junction box (I believe they called it a "home run" when the house was being built) in the master closet.

Any idea how long the install will take? If all the coax runs through this junction box, can the installers run a new line to the junction box and access the two coax lines from there? Or will they have to run two separate lines to the two rooms where the STBs will be set up?

When I got FiOS internet set up, the installers refused to go into the attic because it wasn't all floored, etc. (As a result, I had to be the attic crawler). Can I expect that same problem this time? Will they even have to get into the attic if the FiOS internet is already set up? The fiber line is currently being run to the study (for internet use), so that's where the router is. Will they have to move this line and the router somewhere else?

I'm really clueless about the tech side of this stuff. Can anyone help? I'd greatly appreciate it.

should not take that long since you already have interent. two hours at the most.

they will use the existing coax wire.

should not have to go up in the attic again unless that is the way your outside box is connected to your router. they will place another small box near your router and use one of the available ports. a line will be run from the outside terminal to where your router is.

welcome to the site.

Install Time

I think korsjs may be being a little optomistic. PLan on most of the day for the install. If he finishes early then you get the rest of the dau to watch the fine programming. The Internet portion of the install is actually the easiest. the video takes a little time.

First, is your existing coax in good condition? If not, your quality will be poor and new cable will be required. Usually the installer can use the existing cable to pull a new one.

Second, are the existing cable d-marks at a central location that is easilt accessible? If not, there may be some additional wiring and the cable guy may need to go into the attic, or run new line into the attic. As you know, the outside temps are over 100 right now so you can imagine the attic temps. This means that the installer will not be able to stay up there for long periods and will need frequent cool down breaks. (hint) Provide him with ice and cold water and a nice cool house to work in. It makes the job go faster.

My install, Internet and Cable, took about 9 hours. Home was completely prewired for coax and cat6 to every room and d-marked in a central wiring closet. Problem was that with the various providers that have used the cable plant, what existed when we built was dramatically different during the install. Wires had to be traced and a new feeder line had to be run. Temps that day were low 90's and it was brutal then.

hopefully you get the same guy that did mine. He was very nice and worked his butt off to get me up and running. I even felt sorry for him and chipped in pulling wire. He seemed to get much more motivated after I made him lunch and got in the attic myself to assist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)