Firewire ever going to happen?

CoachS

Original poster
May 1, 2004
As an early adopter with a JVC D-VHS recorder, has there been any announcement of yes or no on this issue as far as future Voom STBs go? I'm a teacher that loves wowing my kids with stuff I have recorded in HD from DiscoveryHD but right now, that means getting hosed every month by having to pay for digital cable along with Voom since Comcast's Motorola boxes have the 1394 connection but the Voom box doesn't. Is Voom under pressure from the movie and video folks never to include one to protect their content from being copied?

I know the FAQs mention the possibility of a firewire port on future boxes but I wondered if there was an update on this. Thanks in advance.

We want Firewire!!!

I have asked VOOM about their firewire plans on several occasions. To recap their replies:

STB: "Forwarded to engineering" and "Due to the HDCP protocols, VOOM will not be looking into firewire connections"
DVR: "Forwarded to engineering" and "Due to the HDCP protocols, VOOM will not be looking into firewire connections."
Home Media Network: No, USB only!

Here are the latest e-mail replies from VOOM if anyone cares...

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Customer - 07/07/2004 09:44 AM
...that firewire (1394) needs to be enabled on the Voom STB, DVR, Whole House Networking, etc. - it needs to be fully functional on all Voom receivers.

My Mitsubishi HDTV, A/V Receiver, D-VHS, Camcorder and computer have firewire/iLink/1394. Also, the local cable company is now providing 1394 and DVR so I am expecting nothing less from Voom.

Thanks...<EOT>

Discussion Thread
Response (Michelle) - 07/07/2004 01:58 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM and for sending us additional feedback about our equipment and services. I am forwarding your message to our engineering team so they are aware of your request for our equipment to be compatible with FireWire 1394 technology.

Again, thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in HD!
Michelle Tompkins
Rainbow DBS Company LLC

Subject
Just wanted to let you know that my 2 year old Mitsubishi Diamond Select, WS-65712, doesn't have DVI (only firewire) and it never will. However, all my devices have firewire...all of them. All Cable STBs are now required to have firewire...I would expect no less from Voom even though they are not required by law.

Thanks again...<EOT>

Discussion Thread
Response (VOOM Customer Support) - 07/09/2004 12:41 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM, I understand your concern, however VOOM will be using the USB port for our home media center. Due to the HDCP protocols, VOOM will not be looking into firewire connections. What I can do is inform you of what our media center will be featuring. The latest advancement from Rainbow DBS will be the rollout of our VOOM HD Home Media Network, expected this summer. Built specifically for VOOM this groundbreaking service will feature an HD digital video recorder [DVR] that can record and playback HD video programming in its intended format. For VOOM customers, a whole house solution will be achieved when this HDTV-capable DVR is combined with the VOOM HD Home Media Network's networking capabilities, which will allow customers to link televisions, computers and other entertainment devices so that programming, music and photos can be enjoyed throughout the house. Additional key features of the VOOM HD Home Media Network will include:
- Standard DVR functionality: stop, start, rewind and fast-forward at the touch of a button.
- Separate television control: pause and rewind a program on one television, while continuing to watch the same program on another television.
- Record and play - whenever: record a program in one room and play it in another, at any time.
- "Follow Me": pause a television program in one room and then continue watching the same program in another room.
- Content organization: organize recorded content in folders and set parental controls that download automatically to each television in the house.
- Music and photos: upload both music and photos from a computer, which can then be managed through on-screen television menus and enjoyed anywhere in the house. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

Michael Daymude
VOOM Email Support

This may not work this way but if you have DVI/Component going into a TV with Firewire can the TV output the signal it is getting from the DVI/Component input on the Firewire connection?

riffjim4069 said:
"Due to the HDCP protocols, VOOM will not be looking into firewire connections"

Wow, that sucks but thanks for the info, riffjim. They should change their slogan to "HD delivered but not permanently recordable". DVRs do you no good when you want to archive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)