Firmware Upgrade - Picture Degradation

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
This topic is a continuation of a sub-discussion that started in topic: Firmware Upgrade - Elmore County.

Your making this difficult! (grin) Well, lets start with the basics. When was the last time the drop (from ped/pole) to the house was replaced? When was the last time the wires in the house were replaced?

Sadly, that particular area is known for low signals. Although alot of it got repaired during the big storms 2 years ago. That was a fun adventure! Well lets start with the first 2 questions! If you would like we can continue this in PM or start another thread. We have hijacked this thread enough.
Drop replacement? Gads, I have no idea. We have been in the house since new in 1984--original occupants. Drop is underground. Oh! yes, I do remember...it was replaced maybe 7-10 years ago when a neighbor cut it. They ran the cable from the "drop box" in the next door neighbor's yard, wove it through the boards of the back wood fence across the back 100', then went underground from there to the side of the house, 50'. I don't think it is woven through the fence now, so I believe there was another replacement, at least of that back part after that.

Wires inside house have not been replaced since new in '84.

Is there a screen I can get to on the SA8300HD to see signal strength? If that's OK, wouldn't it mean the cable is OK?

Drop replacement? Gads, I have no idea. We have been in the house since new in 1984--original occupants. Drop is underground. Oh! yes, I do remember...it was replaced maybe 7-10 years ago when a neighbor cut it. They ran the cable from the "drop box" in the next door neighbor's yard, wove it through the boards of the back wood fence across the back 100', then went underground from there to the side of the house, 50'. I don't think it is woven through the fence now, so I believe there was another replacement, at least of that back part after that.

Wires inside house have not been replaced since new in '84.

Is there a screen I can get to on the SA8300HD to see signal strength? If that's OK, wouldn't it mean the cable is OK?

Not really you could have good "signal level" but the signal be of poor quality. Now if your watching TV through the digital box it shouldnt be grainy or poor. (if your in a digital simulcast area) if their is a problem with your signal you will see digital breakup or no picture at all. Your best bet is to call BHN for a service call, its Free and they will be able to take care of your problems without you needing to worry about it. Thats what they get paid for.

Not really you could have good "signal level" but the signal be of poor quality. Now if your watching TV through the digital box it shouldnt be grainy or poor. (if your in a digital simulcast area) if their is a problem with your signal you will see digital breakup or no picture at all. Your best bet is to call BHN for a service call, its Free and they will be able to take care of your problems without you needing to worry about it. Thats what they get paid for.
Thanks, stevenl. You should see my description of the PQ issue over in the 'Firmware upgrade: Elmore County' topic where this started. It is not grainy by any means; it is a 'softness' (lack of sharpness), and absence of bbright, brilliant colors, now subdued--which are changes from before. Honest, previously, people visiting would comment on the clear, sharp, brilliant picture.

Pixelation, a common complaint with the 8000/8300 is now rare.

If I call BNH, I suspect they are going to look at the picture and say "it's fine"--they haven't spent any time watching it when it was superior. All I will be able to do is use words like I have in these messages, and say "It used to be way better." I can see their reaction now--measure the signal, and then think I'm one of those people never satisfied with anything.

Thanks, stevenl. You should see my description of the PQ issue over in the 'Firmware upgrade: Elmore County' topic where this started. It is not grainy by any means; it is a 'softness' (lack of sharpness), and absence of bbright, brilliant colors, now subdued--which are changes from before. Honest, previously, people visiting would comment on the clear, sharp, brilliant picture.

Pixelation, a common complaint with the 8000/8300 is now rare.

If I call BNH, I suspect they are going to look at the picture and say "it's fine"--they haven't spent any time watching it when it was superior. All I will be able to do is use words like I have in these messages, and say "It used to be way better." I can see their reaction now--measure the signal, and then think I'm one of those people never satisfied with anything.

I have been to far to many customers house for this same reason, and to be honest thats exactly what i thought of the customers heh. As a field tech their is only so much you can do and with a digital signal if the signal is their then thats all the tech can do, he cant improve your digital signal picture, You could try using differnt connections to your tv, maybe a differnt box. but try something for me, connect that box in antoehr room and tell me how the picture looks their. It could be some adjustments on your tv or the box maybe,

I have been to far to many customers house for this same reason, and to be honest thats exactly what i thought of the customers heh. As a field tech their is only so much you can do and with a digital signal if the signal is their then thats all the tech can do, he cant improve your digital signal picture, You could try using differnt connections to your tv, maybe a differnt box. but try something for me, connect that box in antoehr room and tell me how the picture looks their. It could be some adjustments on your tv or the box maybe,
Oooo...moving it is an ordeal. It is mounted in an entertainment center and very hard to remove/reinstall. The picture certainly would be different on a different TV. But mainly, my issue is that pic was great, dl new SW, picture not great. Don't see how a different TV would relate to that.

A question: are there any settings in the 8300HD that affect the colors/sharpness?

Oooo...moving it is an ordeal. It is mounted in an entertainment center and very hard to remove/reinstall. The picture certainly would be different on a different TV. But mainly, my issue is that pic was great, dl new SW, picture not great. Don't see how a different TV would relate to that.

A question: are there any settings in the 8300HD that affect the colors/sharpness?

No all those settings are on the TV itself, Thats why I was suggesting try a differnt set, because it sounds like if its that big of a change it could be something to do wit hthe settings on the television. Its not unheard of for a tv to maybe have a reboot and reset to factory settings and change the picture or for it to just degrade its quality.. If you try antoehr tv and it looks perfect then its for sure the TV.. you can also have the tech come out and he usally carries a test tv on him, can connect the two to the same box and compare pictures... He might not adjust the settings on your tv as its an option for techs (theyd prefer we not so we are responsible for breaking anything) but depending on the tech he may..

Ah so. I didn't know a TV could change settings on it's own. Actually, I have fiddled with the TV "picture, color, brightness, hue, and sharpness" settings, and got some improvement, but not back close to the way it used to be.

I think you are right...it is probably time to get BHN out and let them see if they can find anything.

Its free :) So doesnt hurt much to have them come over. But when I say it reset to factory settings it could of lost power for a few mins or somtin or who knows what happend had a surge and lost its memory.. It happens.

I have a similar problem. Before the latest "i-Guide" update here in Elmore County, I was able to watch local HD channels, even though I have a plain RCA TV. I have the 6412 Motorola HD DVR, and I have it hooked up with component cables. Before the upgrade, I could watch the local HD channels, and now I can't. I believe that before the upgrade, my box had a setting for what resolution to output, and now it doesn't. Any clues?

Thanks in advance!

I have a similar problem. Before the latest "i-Guide" update here in Elmore County, I was able to watch local HD channels, even though I have a plain RCA TV. I have the 6412 Motorola HD DVR, and I have it hooked up with component cables. Before the upgrade, I could watch the local HD channels, and now I can't. I believe that before the upgrade, my box had a setting for what resolution to output, and now it doesn't. Any clues?

Thanks in advance!

Not familiar with the motorola boxs we dont use them here in orlando... Play around in the Menu of the box to see if yo ucan find anything or visit their website sometimes they have guides with pictures..

or call and see if they can walk you through it.

Just an update.....I had to go into the menu of the box with the box off (i.e. not through i-Guide). There is a setting for which type of TV you have. The choices are 16:9, 4:3 Letterbox, and 4:3 Pan and Scan. I changed the setting to 16:9, even though my TV is a regular old RCA 32" TV, and now I can once again see the HD local channels. When an HD program is on, it is letterboxed, and non HD programs have a black box all the way around them. They are also much clearer than their analog counterparts. And of course, the 5.1 DD sound is a huge benefit of those channels as well.

Any ideas about why this works on a regular SD television?

Just an update.....I had to go into the menu of the box with the box off (i.e. not through i-Guide). There is a setting for which type of TV you have. The choices are 16:9, 4:3 Letterbox, and 4:3 Pan and Scan. I changed the setting to 16:9, even though my TV is a regular old RCA 32" TV, and now I can once again see the HD local channels. When an HD program is on, it is letterboxed, and non HD programs have a black box all the way around them. They are also much clearer than their analog counterparts. And of course, the 5.1 DD sound is a huge benefit of those channels as well.

Any ideas about why this works on a regular SD television?

The 3250 and the PACE HD box also lets you do that... In my work van i have a el cheapo 13inch rca tv, and I can watch HD channels on it using the Video outputs of the HD box,, Granted its not "in hd" but it certainly is a nice picture...