First ATSC 3.0 OTA Experience today

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
and it wasn't good. Having finally scanned in the Philadelphia ATSC 3.0 stations I decided I'd give it a try so I turned to ch 29.1 to watch the Eagles game. The TV in question is a Sony Bravia with a built-in ATSC 3.0 tuner. I only gave it about 6 or 7 minutes and threw in the towel. The picture kept constantly going in and out of focus to the point where it was unwatchable. I switched to the AirTV tuner on the Wally and all was as it should be. However, I also noticed the Wally tuner (ATSC 1) picture was slightly better than the ATSC 3.0 (when it was in focus) picture, brighter and more contrast (on the same TV). I'm not seeing any benefit for the consumer here, more like marketing smoke.

and it wasn't good. Having finally scanned in the Philadelphia ATSC 3.0 stations I decided I'd give it a try so I turned to ch 29.1 to watch the Eagles game. The TV in question is a Sony Bravia with a built-in ATSC 3.0 tuner. I only gave it about 6 or 7 minutes and threw in the towel. The picture kept constantly going in and out of focus to the point where it was unwatchable. I switched to the AirTV tuner on the Wally and all was as it should be. However, I also noticed the Wally tuner (ATSC 1) picture was slightly better than the ATSC 3.0 (when it was in focus) picture, brighter and more contrast (on the same TV). I'm not seeing any benefit for the consumer here, more like marketing smoke.
What kind of TV antenna are you using?

The biggest antenna RS ever sold, 160" boom, 57 elements. It has a mast mounted Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amp. Both tuners mentioned above are connected to the same antenna.

antenna-1.jpg

Depending on the pixels 1080i atsc 1.0 is converted to 1080p on atsc 3.0. As for right now they are taking up too much bandwith just to get 6 stations out there. In the future they will have more 3.0 stations so we could enjoy more of the capabilities of 3.0 nextgen. But when will that happen? In my situation i have some delay in the picture tuning in 20-30 seconds. But once it is up it is great strong signal which will be a bonus when they put up more signals.There have been 3 updates to the Lg firmware. Maybe yours has a update. As the technology is being fixed.

They need to switch from DASH to MMT on ATSC 3.0 system for reduced channel surfing waiting time from 3 + or - waiting time down to amost 1 or less second waiting time for the picture and sound to pop up! :rolleyes: :hatsoff

Reactions: c-spand
This is my prediction on ATSC 3.0. X.1 feed is 1080p with 4x 720p sub-channels. Or X.1 feed (which has to be free) @ 720p with the X.2 feed @ 4K, but only accessable through some sort of up charge. This all about the money.

Once they get more 3.0 transmitters on they will have less sub-channels and can play 4K and other media. The transmitter that was turned on on Mount Sutro in San Francisco was in place when they put up the atsc 1.0 conversion. So i assume there are more that are in place that just need to be turned on.