First Hopper and Joey Photos posted by engadget

You don't get rain fade with OTA? Everyone in my area has to deal with rain fade in heavy downpours.

You're more susceptible to it if you're OTA is not in direct line of sight. A lot of our OTA where we live isn't direct LOS.

Dish probably figured they have LiL in every market now and 170/210 in HD, so OTA not so important any more.

I'm in DMA 110 and we do not have locals in HD. DISH is the only provider here that does not do locals in HD.

Neutron said:
Any possible way for Primetime to work with OTA?
I would not think so given how PrimeTime Anytime is reported to work. Unless you could record all the analog spectrum from Ch 2-6 and Ch 7-58, you would need one OTA tuner for each affiliate channel.

Scott:
I Understand you can record 6 programs using the "PrimeTime Anytime" function, but can you also record 6 programs if you don't use the "PrimeTime Anytime" function? :p

Here is the info I receive this morning.

Attachments

• image-1314590565.jpg
    image-1314590565.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 549
  • image-1260401561.png
    image-1260401561.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 469
The document from Scherrman implies that Sling is NOT built into the hopper. Sling being buit into the Hopper was in the leaked press release from last week. Can someone at CES confirm. Is sling built into the hopper? If not does it work with the current sling adapter or do we need to get a new one?

thanks

Someone there needs to pin them down on the energy usage of the Hopper unit. That "50% energy savings" looks like its only achieved with a 4 room system. I'll bet the main unit is still the same old energy hog as every other DVR at DISH.

For most of us on this site it is a big deal, but, according to past threads we are definitely the minority on the overall users of ota.
Remember folks, first they offered OTA "built in" on earlier receivers (before they offered locals in HD). Later, they made the OTA into a module and NOT SUPPLIED by default. Now they've completely removed the module slot... What does that tell you about the # of OTA users on Dish ? Yes, we're in the minority here.

The fact that they'll offer something via USB -- a standard connection, not something dedicated or proprietary -- is nice though.

Engadget posted some pictures of the Hopper and Joey.

Dish Network Hopper DVR and Joey extender hands-on - Engadget Galleries

Does anyone know how the cabling setup is going to be for this? How does the Joey connect to the Hopper?

A single Hopper install requires two RG6 coax lines from a DISH Antenna into a XIP Solo Node. From there a single RG6 line is connected to the Hopper input and another line is connected into a standard cable splitter for distribution to the Joey's using pre-existing RG6 or RG59 cable.

Two Hoppers, then you need an XIP Duo Node. To the best of my knowledge neither node requires an additional power supply/inserter.Solo Node.jpgDuo Node.JPG

If there's an option for a USB OTA, then could you simultaneously record 3 sat and 2 OTA shows?

We have yet to confirm from DISH that this will be an option yet. I think if they do allow you to add an ota tuner it will be one ota tuner added to each joey unit that has a usb connection or it might be one ota tuner added to the hopper itself. WE just don't know yet. But the dual tuner option like today is not an option on the 813 Xip Hopper/Joey 110 unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)