First Hopper and Joey Photos posted by engadget

There will be its via USB. I confirmed this today. :)

If we are just adding tuners via USB, can I get a unencrypted QAM USB tuner as well? :cool:
(I get the feed by default with my TWC wideband internet (30mbs), and my many attempts to get OTA working well have fallen short due to my location near downtown Dallas skyscrapers.)
...Yeah, I know it won't happen...

And no OTA probably means I leave Dish after more than 10 years...

Scott confirmed last night that OTA will be available via USB for the Hopper. He didn't give any details, but I would think there would be a massive dump of info after today's activities at CES are over.

BTW, anyone but me think there are not enough rear USB ports on the Hopper? USB OTA + Sling Adapter = no available USB ports in the rear?
Sure there is one in the front, but I think there should have been four in the back. I rackmount my DVR, so using the front is messy at best...

A single Hopper install requires two RG6 coax lines from a DISH Antenna into a XIP Solo Node. From there a single RG6 line is connected to the Hopper input and another line is connected into a standard cable splitter for distribution to the Joey's using pre-existing RG6 or RG59 cable.

Two Hoppers, then you need an XIP Duo Node. To the best of my knowledge neither node requires an additional power supply/inserter.View attachment 72854View attachment 72855

That looks interesting. They imply that each hopper has to have its own network with its own set of joeys. Or perhaps there is a limit on the number of joeys attached to a single network (MOCA) drop and they have to have 2 drops to handle more than X number of joeys (one assumes X < 6 or they would not need this).

I wonder how all this communicating between hoppers is going to work. If you have 2 Hoppers, what if all the joeys want content that happens to be on one of the 2 hoppers? What is the limit on hopper capacity? Are tuners shared between 2 hoppers (i.e. scheduling conflicts resolved by one hopper using tuners off the other if needed).

It could be super slick if both hoppers joined together to look like one box with 6 tuners. Or it could be really clunky if you have to manually set up recordings between the 2 boxes to handle conflicts and then could have hopper busy errors if one ends up doing too much (i.e. too many joeys want that box's content).

BTW, anyone but me think there are not enough rear USB ports on the Hopper? USB OTA + Sling Adapter = no available USB ports in the rear?
Sure there is one in the front, but I think there should have been four in the back. I rackmount my DVR, so using the front is messy at best...

I agree,but I also thought DISH should have specified to E* to be able to put in the MT2 Module in the Hopper too!,but what the Hell do we know,we're just DISH subscribers.:rolleyes:

If it is like the 922 you can use a powered USB port hub

Can any one at CES answer these questions about Hopper/Joey?

Is the remote IR or UHF ?

Will it support Picture in Picture like 622/722?

Thanks

Can any one at CES answer these questions about Hopper/Joey?

Is the remote IR or UHF ?UHF

Will it support Picture in Picture like 622/722?Yes on the hopper

Thanks
There are too many different threads on the Hopper/Joey/Xip813/110

That looks interesting. They imply that each hopper has to have its own network with its own set of joeys. Or perhaps there is a limit on the number of joeys attached to a single network (MOCA) drop and they have to have 2 drops to handle more than X number of joeys (one assumes X < 6 or they would not need this).

I wonder how all this communicating between hoppers is going to work. If you have 2 Hoppers, what if all the joeys want content that happens to be on one of the 2 hoppers? What is the limit on hopper capacity? Are tuners shared between 2 hoppers (i.e. scheduling conflicts resolved by one hopper using tuners off the other if needed).

It could be super slick if both hoppers joined together to look like one box with 6 tuners. Or it could be really clunky if you have to manually set up recordings between the 2 boxes to handle conflicts and then could have hopper busy errors if one ends up doing too much (i.e. too many joeys want that box's content).

Don't ask me how they do it, but my understanding is that both Hoppers "join" together and work as one as far as the Joey's are concerned. I have no idea about setting up timers and how that would work between both boxes.

I believe that the USB OTA is going to be some standard one that you can buy to connect to any PC. I don't think it will be any thing made by DISH. Just like how the only USB WIFI adapter accepted is an ordinary NETGEAR (specific) model.

I believe that the USB OTA is going to be some standard one that you can buy to connect to any PC. I don't think it will be any thing made by DISH. Just like how the only USB WIFI adapter accepted is an ordinary NETGEAR (specific) model.

Your going to have to be able to record off the usb ota dongle.

If I was that worried about OTA, I think I'd just build the cheapest PC that can handle 1080i MPEG2 (it's not that hard these days) and not worry about what Dish was doing. Then I'd have my recordings available for me to do whatever I want, rather than have them held prisoner by Dish.

1 thing I don't like after taking a 2nd glance is the fact there is NO rf outputs on either unit. No mirrors or old TV's without an rf converter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts