First impressions with Charter

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Ok I reluctantly went with Charter because of no commitment and the dbs receivers will be obsolete with mpeg4. Still have voom recever hooked up so I could compare pq. On analog sd channels picture is ok. On digital sd channels picture is far superior to vooms sd channels. On Hd channels Voom is sharper although not by a lot. Love the DVR. I can get hooked on it.

Which DVR unit did you get? I've had mine all of two days and I'm seriously concidering taking it back and going back to analog cable.

Shawn95GT said:
Which DVR unit did you get? I've had mine all of two days and I'm seriously concidering taking it back and going back to analog cable.

I have the SA 8300HD DVR. No problems so far. I like the pass through feature for display outputs. On Sd channels I have it set to 480p. Switches tv automatically from 480p on sd channels to 1080i on HD channels. Almost like native on Voom but my tv won't display 720p so I couldn't use native on Voom. On the SA box you can set it to only display signals your tv can receive so I shut off 720p and 480i on it. 480p seems clearer than 480i for sd channels so that is why I turned off 480i even though tv recognizes it. You can set it to upconvert sd channels to 720 or 1080 but I think picture is better this way although it is probably personal preference.

pmalve said:
Ok I reluctantly went with Charter because of no commitment and the dbs receivers will be obsolete with mpeg4. Still have voom recever hooked up so I could compare pq. On analog sd channels picture is ok. On digital sd channels picture is far superior to vooms sd channels. On Hd channels Voom is sharper although not by a lot. Love the DVR. I can get hooked on it.

This is interesting. What Charter market are you in?

I'm also reluctantly going back to Charter in Upstate SC after eight months with Voom. My install is next week.

I'm hoping that they have improved in areas that were the reasons I left them in the first place: spotty picture quality, On-Demand service that didn't work most of the time, lousy (and frequently belligerent!) customer service, and sparse HD offerings. The latter is improving (they've added ABC, UHD and TNT-HD since I quit last year), but I am nervous about the other issues.

At least I won't be on a contract so if worst comes to worst I can jump to another provider.

CDH.

pmalve said:
I have the SA 8300HD DVR. No problems so far. I like the pass through feature for display outputs. On Sd channels I have it set to 480p. Switches tv automatically from 480p on sd channels to 1080i on HD channels. Almost like native on Voom but my tv won't display 720p so I couldn't use native on Voom. On the SA box you can set it to only display signals your tv can receive so I shut off 720p and 480i on it. 480p seems clearer than 480i for sd channels so that is why I turned off 480i even though tv recognizes it. You can set it to upconvert sd channels to 720 or 1080 but I think picture is better this way although it is probably personal preference.
Where do you set that up? I tried like heck to set my SD to be in 480p and HD in 1080i but no matter what I set 'Picture format' to, it's always 1080i coming from the component output - no matter what channel I'm on.

Shawn95GT said:
Where do you set that up? I tried like heck to set my SD to be in 480p and HD in 1080i but no matter what I set 'Picture format' to, it's always 1080i coming from the component output - no matter what channel I'm on.

Turn Tv on and cable box off. Press guide and info keys at the same time. This brings up the HDTV Setup Wizard screen. Press A on the remote. Choose advanced setup option. Follow on screen instructions. I only left 480p and 1080i active. Turned off all others. To select pass through mode press settings twice. Move up or down to highlight Set picture format. Select pass through. press accept. Front of box should say auto. Press exit to finish. If you need more help go to Scientific Atlanta website and join explorers club. It has detailed manuals that I found much better than Charter instructions.

pmalve said:

So the 1st 100 channels of Charter are analog, except their HD and DVR's can upconvert all the analog to digital and even HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)