First laptop, recommendations?

ksat1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Our daughter is a freshman in high school, would like a laptop for school work. This would be the first laptop in our house, so not up on what to look for, or avoid. Don't want to waste money on more than we need, just wondering if anyone has a brand and/or model they would recommend. Want something reliable, and good support to back it up, since I'm sure we'll have some questions.

Thanks.

Get the most processor, memory, HDD size, and video card you can get for your budget. Make sure it has a built-in wireless adapter. Find out what type of dispaly she is looking for; I am sure widescreen may be the most prevalent. Make sure to get an adequate screen size; I would start at 17: for me, but 15.4 may work for her. I would also prefer XP Pro over Vista. Stick with name brands, like HP or Dell. Call them direct first to see what deals you can get by telling them what you need. See if you work or school has a discount partner program with them; many do. Get a good anti-virus and net security tool installed and above all else, make sure she knows what she is doing with this fine tool or it may turn into a $800+ mp3 or DVD player or paperweight. Good luck!

Just remember that lacking video/graphics cards are a HUGE bottleneck; so be sure to get a good bit more that you should need here too; for the next 2 years or even the life of the laptop; as these are not always an easy upgrade; if at all.

Now at least HDDs are an easy upgrade but in my use 250GB gets full fast; I bet a college freshman would to as well, maybe faster LOL!

Also, I would shop from a retail box store and their so-called ad deals as a last resort. If you shop from any factory online, stay away from all the temptation to buy into the bells, whistles and add-ons; hardware and software unless they are 110% FREE and free ship.

Get the most processor, memory, HDD size, and video card you can get for your budget. Make sure it has a built-in wireless adapter. Find out what type of dispaly she is looking for; I am sure widescreen may be the most prevalent. Make sure to get an adequate screen size; I would start at 17: for me, but 15.4 may work for her. I would also prefer XP Pro over Vista. Stick with name brands, like HP or Dell. Call them direct first to see what deals you can get by telling them what you need. See if you work or school has a discount partner program with them; many do. Get a good anti-virus and net security tool installed and above all else, make sure she knows what she is doing with this fine tool or it may turn into a $800+ mp3 or DVD player or paperweight. Good luck!

Good ideas, but I disagree with you on a couple things. One being that XP is better than Vista, but Microsoft will no longer support it if you have a problem and there are ways to make Vista work better. Also, having a 17" screen is nice for watching videos and such, but they are also heavier and use the battery faster. Just make sure you get a dual core [processor and at least 2G of ram. However it may be cheaper to buy the computer with 1G installed and add the extra later as RAM is very cheap right now. I just bought 2G at Staples for $49.

I highly recommend Dell, I also would say to upgrade the battery to one with longer life if she would be using it regularly on battery power, as its cheaper to get a better battery up front than to buy a better one later (I am speaking from experience.)

Depending on what she needs it for, look for the Dell Vostro line, basic functionality, not a lot of bells and whistles, but at a nice price point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)