Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today SatelliteGuys once again gives you another first look of another upcoming Dish Network receiver, the Dish Network 781.

Ok so maybe you have seen this receiver before...

ITS A DISH NETWORK 921 WHICH HAS BEEN REBRANDED THE 781.

While it will pick up Digital off air HD broadcasts it will not pick up HD signals from Dish Network.

This is the same thing they are doing with 811's in rebranding them 381 receivers. CLICK HERE TO SEE THE 381

So now we know what they are doing with all the 921's which are being traded in for 622's.

Still no word on what they are doing with the 942's.

More as we know it, and we also hope to have a spec sheet soon. :)

No price yet.

I wonder if its legal for them to sell them as new, when they are not. Or will they be lease only? Only time will tell. :D

Ugh...These things were bad enough the first time around, now they want to offer them as a SD DVR with OTA.

I would still venture they 942s will be sold to Canada, everything from BEV is MPEG2 with no plans to change.

My god, it's the ATTACK of the UNDEAD Dish Receivers!

Just when we thought we were safe and that the old MPEG2 HD receivers had been safely buried, they coming up out of the ground!

How can they be stopped?

Perhaps we have to shoot them in their CPUs.

I wouldn't feel safe with one of these in my house. I just might wake up some morning to find a 781 or 381 munching on my brain.

Wow. I would have thought that E* would have wanted to put the 921 disaster to rest for good. Why revive a less than successful model? Wouldn't more money be spent on CSRs to support them than what its worth to reissue them?

Last edited:
I wonder if they will go all out and put the 941/622 code on them? Maybe if they put the more stable code base on them they will do better.

Not likely. Totally different hardware platform - I can't see how it would work. You could clone the interface, but the codebase would still have to be totally different. Remember that the 921 was/is basically a stripped down PC. While the 942 and 622 may be running software derived from Linux, I would imagine that the kernel and most of the drivers are totally different.

masterdeals said:
I would still venture they 942s will be sold to Canada, everything from BEV is MPEG2 with no plans to change.
I would have guessed the same thing, but they didn't do that with the 811's.

Perhaps they'll call it the 782.

IT's called recycling. Dishnetwork recycling. I would think that the Expressvu company would buy the 942 receivers since they have them on their website. THat may be why we haven't seen them for sale as any other numbered receiver. I don't know why anyone would want the 921/ 781 unless it had no DVR fee and they likes yesterdays technology.

There may be a small market for them. It is a high capacity SD DVR and it has OTA HD. If someone needs only one tuner, and lives close enough to pull in their HD locals, and *IF* the darn thing is reliable, then it's a nice receiver for probably a good price.

For example, I'm about to hook up my old 4900 to a second TV. I'd much rather have a 921/781 for that application.

Expressvu has a LOT less subs than Dish Network. They probably could not sell near as many of these DVR's as Dish Network does.

I am seriously considering buying a good used 942 for just this purpose. I really want a two tuner DVR and I like the interface on the 942. I am not interested in Dish's high-def offerings right now, but I do want to tune in my digital locals OTA without using a separate box. This is a good solution for me.

:mad: this is f-n stupid!!!!! is money getting this tight at dish? if so then maybe the merger is going to happen and maybe for the better. if this is there idea to save a buck. sh*t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)