First Look: Dish 942 HD/SD Receiver (Updated 1/24/05)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm just hoping that E* will get the 2nd OTA tuner figured out by release, one can hope right :)

A 942 in single mode would be a 921, so I don't see why that's so special.

The 942 being a lease is the best part for me, so I dunno why you're down. It's another thing to match up with cable with. And remeber leasing receivers does not cost more. The mirror fee in owned reveirs is the same price as the rental fee.

As for the VOD fee, it's just plain stupid, but I don't think it will ever go away :(

I have ordered one of the $839 921s so I hope I made the right decision. I believe the 921 has dual HD tuners so you can record two HD programs. The 942 has one HD and one SD tuner limiting you to one HD recording at a time. If this is correct, it would be considered a downgrade in my book to have a 942. Who knows when the 942 will be available and in a condition any more stable than the current 921? I was tired of waiting and believe the 921 is usable now and worth at least the $839. Time will tell.

erasmu said:
I have ordered one of the $839 921s so I hope I made the right decision. I believe the 921 has dual HD tuners so you can record two HD programs. The 942 has one HD and one SD tuner limiting you to one HD recording at a time. If this is correct, it would be considered a downgrade in my book to have a 942. Who knows when the 942 will be available and in a condition any more stable than the current 921? I was tired of waiting and believe the 921 is usable now and worth at least the $839. Time will tell.
My understanding is that this is not correct and I would agree it is a step down under those circumstances. The confusion is a result of the second TV option similar to the 522. The 942 at this time will have 1 OTA HD Tuner, and 2 HD or SD Dish tuners. You can record Two HD channels at the same time. One from OTA and One from Dish. The issue Scott was referring to was that you cannot watch Two OTA channels at one time. You cannot also watch a different OTA channel while recording an OTA channel. This is the same as with the current 921.

From the looks the 942 in terms of tuners is identical in capability to the 921. The issue is that since you have this Dual TV feature, it should have at least two OTA tuners. I agree with Scott on this one. However, if you are planning on using this as a single TV DVR, Then I see the capability the same as a 921 and not a step down.

If and when the 942 released, a better analysis of the differences can be made.

WeeJavaDude said:
Scott,

If the 942 offers a single mode like the 522 then I have a hard time thinking the 942 is a step down. Maybe a sideway step depending on what the internals in the 942 are compared to the 921.

In the single mode (which they have not announced but I believe the unit will have it) then it will be just like a 921 in that regard, so from there it would not be a downgrade.

erasmu said:

This is not correct, all the tuners are HD. You can record 2 HD shows at a time.

One output is SD while the other is HD. Maybe that is where the confusion lies. :)

How stupid is that? To make only one HD output yet have two HD tuners? That is crazy! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. They ALMOST got it right.

Stargazer said:
How stupid is that? To make only one HD output yet have two HD tuners? That is crazy! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. They ALMOST got it right.

I don't find it stupid at all, although it might be made better with another ATSC tuner (at some dollar cost perhaps). I, for one, would appreciate being able to record two HD datastreams in the background while I watch something (HD or SD) previously recorded. That would seem to make it pretty smart to have all the tuners HD. I'm assuming it downconverts the HD to SD for the 2nd output, a feature for which the 921 is incapable.

I completely agree the 2nd output makes a 2nd OTA tuner very desirable, though I have little interest in the 2nd output. That said, I'm still finding no compelling reason to call the 942 a step down from the 921. Seemingly the lack of a capability (2nd output) makes the 921 better! I would accept the possibility, as previously mentioned, that the hardware in the 921 might be more robust (if somewhat dated).

942 lease only? Ouch!

I read where they expect half the tv's in people's homes to be HD by 2007 but I dont know if that will be the case. Nevertheless they should have made both outputs HD.

Stargazer said:
Nevertheless they should have made both outputs HD.
If Dish did put an ATSC modulator in the 942, how would they protect the HD signal from being recorded by someone with an ATSC-equiped PC? Ask about the 5000 w/ATSC modulator being "retired" and you'll get an earfull.

Nope, Dish's DVRs are the Las Vegas of digital video...

Any rumored timeframe?

I read through the entire thread but nobody mentioned a rumored rollout date. Are we talking Xmas 04 or Summer 05, etc? I am dying to get HD DVR without the $900 outlay + $15 more a month. I'm stuck with a 721 and front projection system that is begging for more res.

Bobby M

It was supposed to be November of this year, now it appears Summer of next year is a more optimistic date.

I am hearing Dish will officially announce the 942 at the CES show in January, so far the ONLY place with pictures and information on the 942 is here on SatelliteGuys.US!

I don't know why any high end receiver wouldn't have 2 tuners and 2 outputs active. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that wants to use PIP.

Well I guess this receiver is coming out soon since their is a price drop rom $999 to $549 on the 921.

Stargazer said:
Well I guess this receiver is coming out soon since their is a price drop rom $999 to $549 on the 921.
That's a very logical assumption. I can't wait to read about all the bugs in the 942. Rumor has it that's it's based on the 522 and 811, their two most bug-ridden receivers currently. This oughta be good!

I stated my post seeing how some have said that it may be a while longer before the 942 is released.

Not necessarily, this may be a move to try and eliminate any significant amount of inventory that Dish may have on hand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts