First Look: Dish 942 HD/SD Receiver (Updated 1/24/05)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Have you heard what kind of chipset this unit supports??Also they are most likely and probally have already been testing MPEG-4 for what equipment who know's. I think we will know more maybe by the end of the month or sometime in Jan. Since there are chipsets out already that support MPEG-4 I would think the rest of the industry has most likely made up their minds on what they will do.

The cat was a misgroomed cat. Suffered the wrong impression of what a LION cut should be and the groomer treated the cat like a poodle.

Just hair on the head, feet and tail, brrrrrrr.

If you can view HD content on an SD TV with the 942 will there be any noticeable PQ improvement over what a 508 PVR produces?

jelively said:
If you can view HD content on an SD TV with the 942 will there be any noticeable PQ improvement over what a 508 PVR produces?

If you're watching the SD version of ESPN-HD, it'll be much better than watching regular ESPN. So yes, the SD downconvert is better than the regular sat channels.

Would the 921 also downconvert HD and provide improved picture quality on a SDTV....better than the 508 with normal SAT programming? Not ready to invest in a HDTV but would consider investing in a 921/942 and HD programming if I could enjoy improved PQ for the short term. Is this a bad interim choice while waiting to buy HDTV?

jelively said:
Would the 921 also downconvert HD and provide improved picture quality on a SDTV....better than the 508 with normal SAT programming?

Yes and yes. If you have the money, and better PQ on an SD set is a goal, jump on in and enjoy it until you have an HD display.

Just remember the normal SD channels will look the same as they did on your 50X. The downcoverted HD channels will be of better quality then the SD counterparts (ESPN vs. ESPN-HD)

gpflepsen said:
Yes and yes. If you have the money, and better PQ on an SD set is a goal, jump on in and enjoy it until you have an HD display.

Just remember the normal SD channels will look the same as they did on your 50X. The downcoverted HD channels will be of better quality then the SD counterparts (ESPN vs. ESPN-HD)
Quite right and an excellent idea.

DishSatUser said:
The cat was a misgroomed cat. Suffered the wrong impression of what a LION cut should be and the groomer treated the cat like a poodle.

Just hair on the head, feet and tail, brrrrrrr.

Friggin' hilarious dude. You have any full-sized pics of the cat? Oh, and I hope you fired your groomer. :D

ocaddict said:
Friggin' hilarious dude. You have any full-sized pics of the cat? Oh, and I hope you fired your groomer. :D

:D This picture reminded me of the 'urban legend' of Nair sprayed on a cat, then thrown in a horse-tank.

Cat-dip :shocked

I would like to re-ask the question that was not answered in post #16 to this thread regarding, What's the deal with the USB on the back of the 942. I know 240 gigs sounds like a lot of room, but after you've had this for awhile, it fills up. It's hard for me to get excited about this unless there is a way to archive what's important to you.

Paul

automagic said:
I would like to re-ask the question that was not answered in post #16 to this thread regarding, What's the deal with the USB on the back of the 942. I know 240 gigs sounds like a lot of room, but after you've had this for awhile, it fills up. It's hard for me to get excited about this unless there is a way to archive what's important to you.

Paul

The movie industry lobby is strongly against any type of archiving of HD content. Unless they are defeated or a compromise is reached, it will not be easy or legal.

I would expect the movie industry to continue to pressure the DBS providers very hard to ensure (as much as possible) to limit the ability of a subscriber from "down loading" any type of DVRed programming. So don't hold your breath on the USB/Firewire ports being activated anytime in the near future.

bavaria72 said:
I would expect the movie industry to continue to pressure the DBS providers very hard to ensure (as much as possible) to limit the ability of a subscriber from "down loading" any type of DVRed programming. So don't hold your breath on the USB/Firewire ports being activated anytime in the near future.
Why is it that Cable doesn't have this same restriction. They have FireWire outputs. They conform to the "copy/once/never" protection scheme. Also, I believe they won't output PPV/VOD DVR events, IIRC. Why can't DBS providers do this?

Aren't the copy-protection schemes exactly what Hollywood lobbied so hard for, so that their content would be protected? If the 1394 or USB connection has DTCP, it shouldn't be an issue for the movie industry.

But that won't make it easy to implement. There's $ involved for licensing, development, and testing. And besides us (here, DBSTalk, & at AVS), there are lots of people who haven't any clue about DVR, let alone the expansion and archiving features that will undoubtedly show up later or sooner.

DISH Network Introduces Multi-Room Satellite TV Receiver That Records in HD

DISH Network Introduces Pay-TV Industry First with Multi-Room Satellite TV Receiver That Records in High-Definition

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 6, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service announced today the release of its newest high-definition (HD) satellite TV receiver, the DISH Player-DVR 942. No other pay-TV company offers the innovative combination of HD and digital video recording (DVR) features with multi-room capability like the DISH Player-DVR 942.

Continuing as a leader in HD and DVR initiatives, DISH Network's DISH Player-DVR 942 is the first-of-its-kind dual tuner, HD DVR with the ability to view independent programs -- one in high definition and one in standard definition programming on two televisions at once. It features a massive 250 GB hard drive with a recording capacity of up to 25 hours of high-definition and up to 180 hours of standard-definition content.

"DISH Network started the adoption of cutting-edge consumer electronics products with the introduction of the digital video recorder in 1999," said Mark Jackson, president of EchoStar Technologies Corp. "Now we are introducing the next generation of DVRs, including the first and only satellite TV receiver that will let you record HD programming and play it back in HD on the main TV and in standard definition on every other connected TV in the house."

The cutting-edge DISH Player-DVR 942 features rewind, fast-forward, and pause as well as a picture-in-picture feature on any TV and the ability to record Dolby Digital(R) when available. The DISH Player-DVR 942 will be available for purchase in the first quarter of 2005 for an incredibly low MSRP of $749, which includes a dish antenna and free standard professional installation for new customers.

The DISH Player-DVR 942 also features:

-- Digital/analog off-air tuner

-- Up to 9-day, Picture-In-Guide, Widescreen Electronic Program
Guide (EPG)

-- High-Definition Resolutions: 480p, 720p, 1080i (480i is
up-converted)

-- All DISH Player-DVR functionality, including name-based
recording and DVR menu

-- Records two programs simultaneously in high definition, but
programs can be viewed in standard definition on other TVs in
the home

The DISH Player-DVR 942 offers convenience and features that customers have grown to depend on, including parental controls, electronic program guide, picture in guide and name based recording.

DISH Network offers ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater, TNT HD, HDNet and HDNet Movies for $9.99 per month. In addition, DISH Network also offers CBS-HD, HBO-HD, Showtime HD and pay-per-view movies in HD. Under a special promotion, DISH Network is offering new customers six months free of the HD Pak and offering existing customers half off the monthly price for the HD Pak for 12 months.

Please call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) or visit www.DISHNetwork.com for more information.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) serves more than 10.4 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last four years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Artwork: An image of DISH Network's DISH Player-DVR 942 is available on our Website at www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/index.shtml.

Marc Lumpkin, 303-723-2020
marc.lumpkin@echostar.com

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation

Copyright © 1998-2003 MarketWatch.com Inc. User agreement applies. Historical and current end-of-day data provided by Interactive Data Corp. Intraday data is at least 20-minutes delayed. All times are EDT. Intraday data provided by S&P Comstock and subject to terms of use.

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=660078

So what good is a receiver that is obsolete upon release? I mean $750 for Mpeg-2 and no mention of mpeg-4, looks like a disaster waiting to happen!

Alt

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)