First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

DTVPal threads

also it become a pain in same place to follow three or four PAL's threads :p

Agreed :) By the way, while I appreciated Scott's great review and I'm happy to be posting here, I'd like to also be posting over at the longest-running TR-40/DTVPal thread at avsforum.com. But I can't; see the reason here.

So far no one has reached me with a suggestion or explanation. (But thanks to partsman_ba for trying to get me some help!)

I just got word from Dish that the MSRP on the DTVPal is $59.99 and will indeed be available next week.

In addition there are plans for a $40 box but that box has been delayed.

Another confirmation on the price from Dish, this one in a Denver post article.

“Chapman said his company would stock Dish Network's converter box when it's available. The Douglas County-based company said earlier this year that it would offer a $40 box, but those plans have been delayed. According to company spokeswoman Francie Bauer, Dish is offering a different box, the DTVPal, for $59.99, which will be available next week.”

Confusion over TV conversion - The Denver Post

What we know and don't know about DTVPal availability (Updated)

I've updated the summary again:

What we know and don't know about DTVPal availability

Let's hope that at the next update (after the "live retailer chat," maybe?) the "know" section can get larger than the "don't know" section. :)

UPDATE: (due to Scott's posts made while I was typing the above)
Thanks for the confirmation, Scott, but since the $60 DTVPal soon and $40 box delayed indefinitely has been assumed to be the case since the "Charlie Chat," it won't change anything in my summary of the availability situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I had seen the Denver article, but Dish has given out conflicting information all week long. With so many Dish retailers knowing nothing, do I believe they will have it in stock "next week?" SolidSignal doesn't seem to think so.

"Later" is not the response I expected when Dish said they would clear up all confusion. We still have nothing on how this mystery second box will be different, other than price.

Good update from fairly high-up DISH guy

There's a pretty good update at this link.

Someone finally got though to someone high enough up at DISH that he (sort of) knew what he was talking about.

Note that being able to buy at dishnetwork.com probably means at dtvpal.com, because dtvpal.com acutally is located at dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/

Last edited:
Seems to me they're follow same selling practice - get from early rush ppl max $$$ then lower price for next category of buyers.
One thing their sales dept screwed - initial announce; it was a big mistake ( perhaps personal ?) to claim the $40 price in public.

Ok, so this isnt' available today (As was hinted about as recently as last week), and my coupons expire today, not to Hijack the thread, but what should I buy?

Ok, so this isnt' available today (As was hinted about as recently as last week), and my coupons expire today, not to Hijack the thread, but what should I buy?
It is going to come down to what you get your hands on today and we can't tell you what is available to you today.

The only one I question is the RCA from WalMart. The Insignia from Best Buy and the Digital Stream from RS seem to be getting acceptable reviews.

I have both the RadioShack Digital Stream DTX9950 and the BestBuy Insignia DXA1 boxes.

They are both about the same but I prefer the DXA1. It seems to be better with weak signals and the body is somewhat thinner so it fits nicer on my tv.

The DTX9950 does, however, have analog passthru. So if that's important to you, you may want the that one.

My coupons expire today, not to Hijack the thread, but what should I buy?
I recommend you buy something from RadioShack that way next week you can exchange for the DTVPal if they are going to get it.

I have a very strong feeling that both Sears and RadioShack will have the DTVPal as do others so it would be a better decision then going with Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, or Circit City.

I would also say Sears too but I don't like the Magnavox and don't want you get get stuck with something you most likely won't want.

The Zenith DTT900 is very popular and if you need PassThru they sell the DTT901.
It has a simple now/next EPG.

They also sell the Digital Stream that has more than a now/next EPG but is plastic and also runs more hot.

If you want pictures you can look at my thread in another forum
NTIA approved (CECBs) - Electronic program guide (EPG) - Style Used - AVS Forum

Just to let you know I have not updated prices and available converters since these whole DTVPal thing started.

Last edited:
I recommend you buy something from RadioShack that way next week you can exchange for the DTVPal if they are going to get it.
Not sure if that's a good idea or not....
FAQ # 15 at dtv2009.org:

If I used the coupon to buy a TV converter box and then return it for credit with the retailer, can I use that credit for any other purchase at the retailer?

You will not be able to receive cash or credit for the coupon amount, but you can receive cash or credit for any amount you paid out of pocket, if the store policy permits returns or exchanges.
You'd get back the total cost of a different converter minus $40. People could buy a set-top with a coupon and return the box the next day and get $40 cash or credit back and that's not going to happen.

Help with 722

dammit my HDMI went out on my 211

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)