First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I can't compare it to the DTVPal cause I didn't buy that one but let me say I wasn't overly impressed with the tuner in the + version. I had one, asked for an exchanged cause numerous stations kept pixelating with a signal of 90-95% using the DB2/ preamp.

The RCA converter with the same equipment, minus a Titan 2 preamp vs. the Winegard has signal range of 60-70% and no problems whatsoever.

I bought the + cause of the program guide and such. I'm not able to obtain a few select stations that I expected to get with the + version. Very dissapointing to say the least. Awaiting to see how the replacement converter does or if this an issue with the Dish converter.

My 2 cents.

i bet there is a problem with the amp and tuner not getting along. I notice that the Pals really don't like mutlipath. It's like if there is anything that causes the signal to be atrifically high the tuner over reacts and drops the gain too much

DtvPal and 625 in same room..what are my remote options?

I finally got around to installing my DtvPal and I knew I would have an issue with the 625 remote interfering with the DtvPal converter in the same room, based on what I've been able to learn from this thread. Has there been a workaround found for this problem? Thanks.

I finally got around to installing my DtvPal and I knew I would have an issue with the 625 remote interfering with the DtvPal converter in the same room, based on what I've been able to learn from this thread. Has there been a workaround found for this problem? Thanks.

no known issue. just change the 625 over to a different remote code and you should be set.

no known issue. just change the 625 over to a different remote code and you should be set.

How is that done? I've looked through the menus on the 625 and I evidently missed the remote control code setup.

Nevermind, I found it in the 625 manual.

Last edited:
Comparison of DTVPAL, TR-40 CRA, and DTVPAL plus

I obtained a TR-40 CRA and DTVpal+ from mail order. The TR40 had software
version F105TCGH-N, boot version 1813TCGH. The dtvpal+ had software version
F106TCHB-N, boot version 1813TCHB.

Recent retail store sales still had the DTVPAL F101TCGH-N, boot version 1812TCGH with the event timer flaw.

The good news is that the F105 and F106 both have the fix for the timer problem. So it seems you can buy those models with confidence. Apart from that, all three really did seem to be functionally identical. Not much more to say about that.

The DTVPAL+ claims to be better at weak signals. Here's what I did to test that: I put two boxes (at a time) next to each other, both powered, and merely switched the antenna from one to another with minimal disturbance, to see the difference in picture. I used an unamplified antenna and tuned in the weakest VHF and UHF digital stations I could get a picture at. This seems to have been just right, it got me right around the 55-60% signal strength where my picture breaks up often, but there's still nearly always a picture. This way I could see if there was any difference in quality of screen. I did not find the dtvpal+ to be better than the other two. In fact, it was my impression that, at least for the worst of the two stations, the TR40 was slightly (about 3%) better.

Unfortunately I could only get these two stations into the 60% signal strength where I could visually see how the box did. Two is not the sample size I was hoping for. So your stations, in your house, may be completely different. But if someone asks me if they should expect the dtvpal+ to get improved reception to be worth the additional $30, I say no. And until I hear of a dtvpal updated from F101, or dtvpals being sold that are either F105 or at least later than F101 to have the timers fixed, I'd say TR40 is the device to buy and put the savings in your better-antenna fund.

I obtained a TR-40 CRA and DTVpal+ from mail order. The TR40 had software
version F105TCGH-N, boot version 1813TCGH. The dtvpal+ had software version
F106TCHB-N, boot version 1813TCHB.

Recent retail store sales still had the DTVPAL F101TCGH-N, boot version 1812TCGH with the event timer flaw.

The good news is that the F105 and F106 both have the fix for the timer problem. So it seems you can buy those models with confidence. Apart from that, all three really did seem to be functionally identical. Not much more to say about that.

The DTVPAL+ claims to be better at weak signals. Here's what I did to test that: I put two boxes (at a time) next to each other, both powered, and merely switched the antenna from one to another with minimal disturbance, to see the difference in picture. I used an unamplified antenna and tuned in the weakest VHF and UHF digital stations I could get a picture at. This seems to have been just right, it got me right around the 55-60% signal strength where my picture breaks up often, but there's still nearly always a picture. This way I could see if there was any difference in quality of screen. I did not find the dtvpal+ to be better than the other two. In fact, it was my impression that, at least for the worst of the two stations, the TR40 was slightly (about 3%) better.

Unfortunately I could only get these two stations into the 60% signal strength where I could visually see how the box did. Two is not the sample size I was hoping for. So your stations, in your house, may be completely different. But if someone asks me if they should expect the dtvpal+ to get improved reception to be worth the additional $30, I say no. And until I hear of a dtvpal updated from F101, or dtvpals being sold that are either F105 or at least later than F101 to have the timers fixed, I'd say TR40 is the device to buy and put the savings in your better-antenna fund.

Great review. Thanks for the testing! Here's an idea - how about degrading your signal with splitters to make your better channels marginal?

Or use one (or more in series) of those attenuators that come with dual-tuner receivers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts