First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

DTVPal shipping cost

Wow, It sounds like the cost of shipping depends on what rep you get when you call.
At least if you order online it calculates your total cost right up front so you know what you are dealing with before you commit.

DTVPAL - Provantage

I am another Provantage customer who ordered a DTVPal converter before my coupons expired. They expired on 6/10/2008. I have not received any indication that my order was canceled and the coupon web site says that my coupons have been used. I have no idea what is going on. I am hoping that one of these days I will receive the 2 DTVpal units that I ordered. I know I am not the only one in this situation but between the goverment and Dish they sure created a fiasco.
:confused:

Provantage told an AVS forum member that they would begin shipping DTVPal orders July 1st.

If that's true, they have a customer for life. They're taking a huge hit on these.

Ordered by phone, explained that I am a current customer, but needed box for when I go camping, whole process took less than 5 minutes, plus the guy was NOT offshore.

So are you planning on using a power inverter for camping or have you found a cigarette power adapter that will work with the DTVPal?
I was told that I could just cut the cord and make my own.
If the box had cost $39.99 and was just sales tax I would have bought two and done that.
At this new price I want to keep the cord and only bought one for myself for home use only.

I still want the MicroProse for camping/portability.

hey maloulf, just do this...
Buy a universal adapter at your local store. make sure it has a setting close to 5Vdc.
On the Pal, cut the cord about 12" from the plug end.
Attach a female socket, that matches the plug from the adapter, to the wire from the Pal end.
Attach a plug like the one from the adapter, to the Pal's original wall cord.

If i described it properly, you should have two adapters with the same kind of end on them and a small cord with a matching socket.

How do I post a picture???

Attachments

• malouff.bmp
    461.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
hey maloulf, just do this...
Buy a universal adapter at your local store. make sure it has a setting close to 5Vdc.
On the Pal, cut the cord about 12" from the plug end.
Attach a female socket, that matches the plug from the adapter, to the wire from the Pal end.
Attach a plug like the one from the adapter, to the Pal's original wall cord.

If i described it properly, you should have two adapters with the same kind of end on them and a small cord with a matching socket.

How do I post a picture???

pRS1C-2160119w345.jpg

Like this!

RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Car power: DC (12V/Car) adapters: 2-Conductor Automotive DC Accessory Cable

We also had these at NAPA auto parts when I was there - may be cheaper at a parts store.

I really don't want to cut the cord (STUPID Dish Network), I just keep hoping for another option.

The MicroProse box would work the best for me as it uses a standard plug.

Not only that but it has box controls where I am not dependent on the remote for everything.

The NTIA has had this box under review since May 22nd and I would say it's about time it gets approved and don't understand the delay.

I guess the NTIA is just doing this wait game because the CBA was involved with this box.

After all they were the only ones who ever got a NTIA alert.
Not even MaxMedia with there vapor box got a alert from the NTIA.

Thanks for the review!!! Can you ask them what big parts they are using? Wiki had it as MicroTune.
QUOTE]

The ones that are currently shipping do not use a Microtune tuner. They are using an old fashioned can tuner (which probably explains why the picture quality is mediocre). They plan to use the Microtune MT2131 tuner in the future (same tuner in the Sansonic and Lasonic boxes that got really high ratings for picture quality). I have no idea when they will be switching tuners.

interestingly, a DTV Pal shows up in my equipment list in my Dish Network account (look under 'My Equipment'). I ordered 2 through Dish on 6/26, and paid $68 including shipping and sales tax. Ugh!

Thanks for the review!!! Can you ask them what big parts they are using? Wiki had it as MicroTune.
QUOTE]

The ones that are currently shipping do not use a Microtune tuner. They are using an old fashioned can tuner (which probably explains why the picture quality is mediocre). They plan to use the Microtune MT2131 tuner in the future (same tuner in the Sansonic and Lasonic boxes that got really high ratings for picture quality). I have no idea when they will be switching tuners.

Just to clarify something, do the current DTVPal’s have a tin can tuner?

nobody knows for sure. noone has taken one apart. to the best of my knowledge. I believe the poster was talking about some other, non-Pal, CECB.

nobody knows for sure. noone has taken one apart. to the best of my knowledge. I believe the poster was talking about some other, non-Pal, CECB.

Nope. I'm talking about the Dish DTVPal. It is currently shipping with a "can" tuner and not a Silicon tuner. I'll see if I can get some photos of the inside of the STB.

Nope. I'm talking about the Dish DTVPal. It is currently shipping with a "can" tuner and not a Silicon tuner. I'll see if I can get some photos of the inside of the STB.
I would be really appreciate that. :D
Thank you for offering to do this.

Some other inside facts is the Zenith uses either a LG or Sanyo Tuner and reports are the Sanyo is a little better.

Some other inside facts is the Zenith uses either a LG or Sanyo Tuner and reports are the Sanyo is a little better.

Off topic -- I don't agree. I have Sanyo DTT900 and LG DTT901, and the 901 is better. But the LG in the 901 is not the same as the one in the 900.

Off topic -- I don't agree. I have Sanyo DTT900 and LG DTT901, and the 901 is better. But the LG in the 901 is not the same as the one in the 900.
The PassThru Tuner is better because according to holl_ands it uses a low-gain Preamp with the splitter
I also don't know if the DTT901's are also using the Sayno Tuner as I thought they were using just the LG ones.

The MicroProse PassThru was going to use the Sayno Tuner so it could be used for a comparison but may get different results because it is not like the Zenith DTT900 compared against it's self using different tuners.

Sorry, to again start to drift off course from the DTVPal.

I didn't come across this looking through the thread, but maybe I overlooked it:

With all this talk about the TR-40 being a different product, can anyone explain to me why it is that the PDF manual for the DTVPal has the heading tr40.book?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts