First Look - Dish Whole House HD/SD Solution?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Sort of, the one thing that the DirecTV who house system has that the Dish one does not is that the DirecTV solution will transmit to TV's via wireless using a customized version of 802.11n.

I had to post on the Dish Network forum again after hearing this. If I'm understanding this right, it's basically just a box that gives Dish Network the ability to effectively do what cable does, with only the satellite outside extra?! If that's true, that's VERY cool!!

However, I have to wonder if there would be any degradation in PQ for those used to using S-Video cables?!

~Alan

I am receiving bits and pieces of info about this box.

If I am putting the pieces together correctly of the info I am getting it appears there will be a small controler box on each TV which can output the Video in High Definition complete with Dolby Digital output, these boxes will offer HDMI and component outputs. There is also another box for those who want to hook up in a home theater and will offer svideo and digital audio outputs.

While I don't know eachtly how its setup it sounds to me that the signal going down the coax is digital and it decoded by the tiny add on boxes.

We should know more next week at Team Summit. Of course SatelliteGuys will be there and our reporters will be posting information as they get it. :)

And you'd have to sign a what, 10 year committment to get one of these systems? Seriously, though...you would have to seriously want to keep one provider over another for a long period of time, to have a system this big installed.

Scott,

In the diagram, it shows a UHF antenna input on the splitter. One of the HD channels in my area (Cincinnati) is on channel 10. I believe other HD channels will move back to their original VHF channels next year. Wonder if a VHF/UHF antenna will work on the splitter shown in the diagram?

Scott

Looks like existing customers will also need a DP+ LNB as well. Interesting concept to say the least. This will work well in homes that have a central distribution point.

Mark

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am receiving bits and pieces of info about this box.

If I am putting the pieces together correctly of the info I am getting it appears there will be a small controler box on each TV which can output the Video in High Definition complete with Dolby Digital output, these boxes will offer HDMI and component outputs. There is also another box for those who want to hook up in a home theater and will offer svideo and digital audio outputs.

While I don't know eachtly how its setup it sounds to me that the signal going down the coax is digital and it decoded by the tiny add on boxes.

We should know more next week at Team Summit. Of course SatelliteGuys will be there and our reporters will be posting information as they get it. :)

Hmmm like a breakout box on an editing system. Interesting. If they replace all my existing boxes, I'm game.

So I guess you'll also get a separate UHF remote for each receiver module. Looks like you won't have to worry about the UHF remote being too far away since you'll have an antenna for it in each room.

Scientific Atlanta already has a system like this. You have a minimum of (1) DVR set-top (from them, of course) in your house and then all other SA set-tops in the house can access the recordings on it. Your home's cable system effectively becomes a LAN and the set-tops are nodes on it. I'm not sure if you can access multiple DVRs with this though....

Also, you can record a program in HD (on an HD-DVR) and access it on a non-HDTV elsewhere in the house. It is downconverted to SD.

vurbano said:
more of charlies vapor ware? like firewire ?

Only time will tell, but it does fit into nicely into E* current trend of having one box service multiple TVs. Will be very compelling if they can make it work....

NightRyder

Several companies have been working on this technology for a couple of years now . Originally Charlie signed on with a company called Digeo who already produce a system for cable :

http://www.digeo.com/

Then he jumped ship and joined with MoCa (Multimedia over Coax Alliance )

http://www.mocalliance.org/en/aboutus/ourmembers.asp

Scott, it's the same type of system as you saw at the show; the Voom DVR which was made up of a central server with "thin clients" (STB) at each TV .

If the 777 is the same system, it is really the wave of the future . You can send several streams of SD and HD simultaneously on one cable! The system is set-up like a network and each thin client is a node on that network . You don't even need to have a direct run of cable to each TV; they can be daisy chained . And, you can send other media such as DVD's on the network .

noremac said:
Good question. With this scheme, there is a unencrypted ATSC stream being outputed. Lots of devices can record that! From an MPAA perspective, this is much worse than analog HD output, and they will never allow it (IMHO).

If you have ever seen D-Theater tapes, HBO-HD is like a DVD in comparison. D-Theater quality is double that of what you see on HBO-HD in terms of bit rate. The imminent HD-DVD or Blu-ray versions will also make channels like HBO-HD seem like DVDs.

I don't see MPAA's beef.

My god, can you imagine what a piece of crap this will be for the 1st 3 years of it's existence (if it makes it that long).

They can't even release a stable stand alone box, think they will nail this the 1st 5xs out. Good luck!

jsb_hburg said:
I don't see MPAA's beef.
If I understand your point, you are saying that MPAA doesn't care about proliferation of plain ol' 1080i. Interesting. Then what's all the fuss about with HDMI, broadcast flag, etc, etc? Remember, the MPAA are the folks that still insist on putting Macrovision on VHS!!

This sounds a lot like the business phone systems we install. The first thing you do is install a rack system that has basic services then add cards for expanding into more station ports, incoming CO ports, voice mail, cordless phones, door phones and several other neat features. It's a great idea, too bad E* is doing it, they will just turn it into junk. There goes my stock again.

Scott Greczkowski said:
...it appears there will be a small controler box on each TV which can output the Video in High Definition complete with Dolby Digital output, these boxes will offer HDMI and component outputs.
Oh. In that case, the 777 is not using a spec ATSC modulator. Instead, it sounds like some flavor of encrypted compressed digital video. In which case the small "controller" boxes are acting like digital cable tuner boxes. Other than a centralized DVR function, I'm not sure how attractive that is vs. having individual IRDs at each set.

You know right now I think I have my house solution... Replays and pc's networked (hardwired) in cohoots with both D* and E* hd receivers and a 921... its not hd but it makes sd look pretty bad... Stream from one to another (replays and pc's)watch one program and pick it up at same spot in another room... I like E* but ... am skeptical as to how good it will work from the getgo...

Hey, we know that P287 for the 811 allows Dish's special QAM to be decoded, hint, hint... Put a 777 in a central location and feed a couple of 811s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)