This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

First Look: DishONLINE

Honestly I was talking to my wife a few days ago about subscribing to Digital Cable just for VOD, I want Howard TV and WWE 24/7.

Now I may get it, and I couldn't be happier.

One of the two things I gave up when leaving TWC for E* was Howard TV On Demand (the other was INHD/INHD2). I hadn't been watching it as much lately, which was unfortunate since I was paying the $13-$14/month for it (can't remember exact amount). I was willing to not have it any more to save cost and all that I would gain with E*.

If they DO offer it, looks like I may be adding it back.

More fuel on the fire...

Showtime, AETN join CinemaNow
http://www.c21media.net:80/news/detail.asp?area=89&article=33695

CinemaNow, the online video-on-demand service that counts EchoStar, Microsoft and Lionsgate among its backers, has signed Showtime and AETN as its latest partners.

Series from A&E Network, The History Channel and The Biography Channel, plus Showtime programmes including The L Word and Sleeper Cell will be available on a download-to-own basis via CinemaNow later this month.

Episodes from AETN and Showtime, priced at US$1.99 each, join CinemaNow's growing list of partners with Eagle Vision and Fox Entertainment Group among those joining in the past six months.

"CinemaNow complements our premium television offering with anytime, anywhere access to our best content," said Showtime Networks senior vice president and general manager of digital media Robert Hayes.

Actually based on the speed with which other features come, you probably have until December 15th of next year.
Actually I think this will be one of the few times Dish has made their deadline.

Lots of work going on behind the scenes, and a lot of contracts in place for programming.

This one might come online more or less on time, since D* has something similar. I doubt they can afford to be too far behind in this.

Download to OWN?

More fuel on the fire...
...will be available on a download-to-own basis via CinemaNow later this month.

Download to own? GREAT! So since I OWN it, I should be able to transfer it to my computer, or to DVD and make a collection of them.

Something tells me their meaning of "OWN" differs from mine.

Now with Showtime added, if CinemaNow could add Hbo and Starz we would get all the premium channels on video on demand.

Does the receiver have to be a DVR?

I have a 211 and a 625, will this work on both or just the 625?

I am wondering this too. Perhaps it will be possible to stream from the DVR directly to the 211 as a client box 'eventually'.

I'm thinking this might do away with their requirement to have a phone line always connected too. Broadband is always on so that should suffice I would think. Time to move my router to the front room....

I hope they think about people like me that don't use wired ethernet -- I use 802.11G. I've even got a spare USB Wireless Adapter ready to plug in for it -- but the reciever will need a configuration screen or two allowing me to plug in my SSID and WEP key.

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Can someone answer a quick question so I don't have to pull my DVR out? Does a 522 have an ethernet port?

Where did you get one and how much are they?

One thing I would like to see from this is the ability to to program the DVR from a website, a feature that some Tivo boxes have. There are many times that I read about a show that I would like to see, but I never get to watch it because I forget to program it.

Last edited:

Then the OS has to support the adapter and driver. Next it's which adpater and driver. Who has support responsibility when it fails? Too complex for a company that isn't in the OS support business.

The solution is for you to buy either a Wireless/Ethernet bridge or a powerline adapter as others have suggested.

Cheers,

"...Does a 522 have an ethernet port?..."

No.

- - -

Any ideas on where the ethernet VOD would go- VOD partition or user partition?