First Look: DishONLINE

Very expensive and I wonder how Dish will charge for their version of these plug in ethernet ports? I'm sure they won't let us use the ones we want . They won't make any money off of it other wise.

Timing is important. Feb 15th may be a must do date for dish.

I thought i read that both Apple, plans to release there new iTV box and Direct TV plans to also have on demand content via high speed internet connections the first of the year.

Xbox 360 already is doing it.

Apple should be on track.

I have not heard any new dates for Direct TV.

If Dish prices it right like Apples does with iTunes, it will be a hit. Hopefully they will match Apples itune prices of say $1 to $2 dollars or something.

Maybe Apple's iTV box will be a dish receiver too? :eek: :hungry:

The solution is for you to buy either a Wireless/Ethernet bridge or a powerline adapter as others have suggested.

Guess it isn't going to matter too much, since I have a 522.. and according to Scott a little further down, it doesn't have an Ethernet port.

Ah well. :)

"Since I don't have a phone line I hope that is a way to waive the $5.00 AOF "

Doubtful - one of the reasons for the phone line connection is to verify that the box is physically where it's suppose to be via caller ID. Can't really do that very easily over the internet. I suppose at some point in the future they could change the concept/implementation a bit to verify all receivers are coming from the same outside IP address at given point in time - If the receivers are all at the same IP then they must be at the same physical location.

This isn't exactly true. Your location can be determined from your IP address. Check this out:

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

This isn't exactly true. Your location can be determined from your IP address. Check this out:

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

Those IP Lookup utilities rely on each individual ISP entering the correct geographical information in each of their routers, seperately, and cannot be trusted to verify the actual location of the router; not to mention that it's not possible to verify the street address of an IP. Therefore, you could not verify that someone is "Sharing" their Dish account with their neighbors, people in the same apartment complex, etc..

Web Scheduling

One thing I would like to see from this is the ability to to program the DVR from a website, a feature that some Tivo boxes have. There are many times that I read about a show that I would like to see, but I never get to watch it because I forget to program it.

Exactly! How many times have you been at work and hear "Oh, you have to check BLANK show out! It's on tonight at 8..." and never remember to set it up. This would be killer.

Did some more digging today and found these by mistake when I was looking at the classes being offered at this years Team Summit.

So here is more proof of DishONLINE (as if you needed more) :D

(I will also update the first post with these attachments as well) :)

Attachments

• iptv1.jpg
    iptv1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 328
  • iptv2.jpg
    iptv2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 286
Did some more digging today and found these by mistake when I was looking at the classes being offered at this years Team Summit.

So here is more proof of DishONLINE (as if you needed more) :D

They are already wrong in the first few words:

" IPTV is the latest in satellite programming technology... "

NOT!

Internet Protocol Television.

No dish needed, no satellite needed.

In fact, you can get it by itself, from providers like ITVN, who provide the set-top box.

DSL providers (with no limitations) may gains subs over cable co's that impose max transfer limits.

I think you will see capped downloads becoming a thing of the past. My cable company just upgraded me from 384/4000 to 1000/10,000 at no extra charge.:D
May be just in time if DishOnline is done up right.:up

DSL providers (with no limitations) may gains subs over cable co's that impose max transfer limits.

Generally, it is easier to get a high bandwidth account on cable than on DSL. This is because people live varying distances from a Central Office, with varying possible bandwidth as a result (sometimes zero for those who live too far). And even those who live close to the CO may find that cable offers more bandwidth - but, of course, almost always for lots more money. :(

But, it is true that DSL usually doesn't impose limitations on how you can use your bandwidth (and usually have cheaper accounts).

Max downloads is still an issue, regardless what your speed is

I think you will see capped downloads becoming a thing of the past. My cable company just upgraded me from 384/4000 to 1000/10,000 at no extra charge.:D
May be just in time if DishOnline is done up right.:up

That wasn't what he was talking about. Cable operators have been know to send nastygrams when you use the bandwidth they give you for long amounts of time. For example, you have 10mb down / 1mb up. That's great, and fast. If you use it at 80-100% for an hour or so at a time, they they don't get upset.

However, if you use 80-100% of that 10mb pipe for 10 hours a day, everyday (Maybe you're downloading the last season of LOST), THEN you get called out.

That wasn't what he was talking about. Cable operators have been know to send nastygrams when you use the bandwidth they give you for long amounts of time. For example, you have 10mb down / 1mb up. That's great, and fast. If you use it at 80-100% for an hour or so at a time, they they don't get upset.

However, if you use 80-100% of that 10mb pipe for 10 hours a day, everyday (Maybe you're downloading the last season of LOST), THEN you get called out.

It depends on your TOS (Terms of Service) with your Broadband Service provider in your area.

My TOS doesn't have any restriction. So it is 24x7 download if you wish. But, it doesn't have much upload capability - which I don't care since I don't run a server.

Infact, some consumers willing to pay more for stable and reliable IP network for these: online games, work at home, telephone contact/call center, conference and IPTV (in future).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts