Connecting my ViP722 to my network

DaCypher

Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
So it appears Dish has enabled the network connection on the 622/722's and started up DishONLINE. Since I don't have a phone line in my house, I've been charged the $5/month fee. I've just signed up for Dish service so I've been charged for the first two months of service (and paid the stupid fee twice). Now that the network connection is live on the receiver, can I hook it up to my network and allow it to use the internet to phone home to Dish to avoid the monthly fee? If so, once I hook it up, do I need to call Dish and have them credit me back the $10 or will they do this automatically when they see my receiver phoning home? Also, would they pro-rate the amount that I am credited since it has been about two weeks since I got service (not that I really care, it's only $5, but still)?

Lastly, I am little nervous about hooking this machine up to my network that I have no control over. Has anyone investigated its network traffic to see exactly what it does? I kinda wonder if it would try to collect information about my network and send it back to Dish for marketing purposes or something, hehe. :)

Well, he has some good questions. I don't know those answers though.

I don't think that Dish is going to sniff your network traffic any more than Linksys is going to sniff your traffic or Dell/Microsoft/ITunes/Skype for that matter.

Well, that is one of the reasons why I run linux on my homemade PCs. And I don't run iTunes or Skype. Also, I run opensource firmware on my linksys router. :)

I am not as paranoid as I sound. I was just curious about the receiver network behavior in general. I'm more curious about the monthly fee.

Dish will not credit you anything. Maybe you could call and cry about it, but by default they would not.

As for what stats they may or may not be collecting, they are legally bound to disclose this so I'm sure it's in the small print somewhere.

TiVo does collect your watching habits and sells the info to whomever. But they do not use incdividual information just collective viewing habits.

I have my 622 connected to the netwrok, cant say i have seen any abnormally high traffic, but i also have only used dishonline once. Also i run a personal firwall on my work system i also connect, windows (sorry OP), and it hasnt detected any "sniffing" and my company is paranoid about this stuff.

Also i have had the connection charge removed, but im a long standing customer unlike the OP Dacypher, and i complained because it was connected but for some reason they didnt think it was. The network link actually seems to have addressed that so it's actually resolved and issue for me.

Go for it !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)