First Look: DishONLINE

Yes, but when you buy an HDTV that says it's 1080p, they are referring to the display. It may or may not accept one form or another of 1080p signal. Watch the frame rates.

If Dish tries to charge for the HBO, etc On Demand content when they are subscribed to that premium movie package then they will be more expensive than cable since cable does not charge for the service. I remember being at someone's house a few years ago and could get it On Demand and watched a movie and I thought that was pretty cool. Cable may start advertising how their On Demand content is free. Something that Dish may see as an advantage might be just the opposite to start a service that their competition does not charge a fee for certain content.

You might want to read up on HDMI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDMI can push over 10gb/s of data. 1080p is only (ha, only) 3gb/s.

Despite what the standard says, my understanding is that most TV sets do not support 1080p input via HDMI. Nor do any set-top boxes produce 1080p over HDMI, nor do any DVD players. The only ones that do are some HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players. I'm sure this will change over a year or two which was my point... that it's not really done today.

The DishOnline (VOD) feature is going to work through your internet connection. That is what this whole thread is about.

The DishOnline (VOD) feature is going to work through your internet connection. That is what this whole thread is about.

Guess what? Your ota stations come from your ota antenna and Dish charges for it with the 622 dvr. You either sub to locals $5.00 or you pay for the hd pack$20.00 or you pay the hd enabeling fee $6.00. I can't imagine Dish passing up an opportunity to charge another FEE with YOUR internet connection. This alone will make me pass on it. I'm tired of being Nickel and dimed to death with all these damn FEES. :mad:

Like I said before, it's amazing how much content on Comcast VOD is FREE. No charge, gratis, complimentary, without fee, on the house.

With Dish now costing the same for the programming I have with C*, I have absolutely no reason to switch back, and lose a major service like OnDemand, and pay $200 to lease an HD DVR that C* gives me for free.

I will still keep an eye on D* to see if they add a proper 30-second skip to their HD DVR. If so, I'd consider trading OnDemand for lower cost. But, I will not trade C*'s OnDemand for what looks to be a pretty lame imitation with DishOnline.

D* eliminated their 30 second skip, which was never officially supported anyway.

ok, i give up.

i was expecting to hear 'when' dishonline would be available as soon as ces started.

but i don't see any sign of a date. i've looked for it but can't find it.

can anyone clarify when DishOnline will be made available?

tia!

Clarify? Previously it was stated 2/15/07, IIRC. Now- maybe "soon."

Oh, how I hate that word, "soon."

Clarify? Previously it was stated 2/15/07, IIRC. Now- maybe "soon."

Oh, how I hate that word, "soon."

ouch, so they really have rescheduled to 'soon' ???? :eek:

so ... what was the reference to beta tested by actual customers ? does that mean it is just in normal ... takes forever, and then drop it because the hardware is no longer supported ... kinda beta testing ...

or is it actually real instead of just more vapor from charly's wind factory?

Scott, could you edit the initial post of this thread or start a new sticky with the updated info on DishONLINE that you learned from CES. I am trying to sort out everything, but haven't the dates and such changed? I think I also noticed that they weren't doing any streaming initially, just download and watch for starters. Sorry that I am too lazy to read through everything and sort it out, but I figured since you guys saw a demo of it and everything you could give us a clearer look at it.

I am trying to see the benefit here. I have D* HD now (considering making the switch though) and I can rent an HD movie and record on my Tivo HR10-250 from the HD PPV channel and then save it indefinetly and watch whenever I want to. Perhaps the benefit will be not having to wait for when the movie will be shown on PPV, but it seems strange to think of paying a fee for a 24 hour download and it possibly taking 5-6 hours for it to actually download. By the time it downloads, my plans may have changed! I don't know how much E* wants to charge for this, but I can be at my local Blockbuster in 5 minutes and rent a DVD for $2.99ish and keep it a week (or more). If they cannot provide more value than I am seeing here, this will be a big flop!