FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

How much was Dish charging for the device ? Are they still charging the same amount ?
Yeah, but the availability is now scarce (FROM THE PEOPLE WHO WILL ACTUALLY USE IT), due to the hoarders buying up all the units to sell them themselves. An artificially driven "demand" tends to drive up the prices from the supplier. Basic supply and "demand." Who's to say whether Dish sees an unexpected demand, whether real or not, and then decides to raise the price on the next or future batch?

Last edited:
I'm saying 50-60 bucks is a ridiculous price on eBay.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Nope. I'm always looking for sarcasm, it's my nature. The only thing I get impaired is my response time. ;)

Yeah, took a sec to respond :p . I know what you mean though. I tend to be the same way.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, but the availability is now scarce (FROM THE PEOPLE WHO WILL ACTUALLY USE IT), due to the hoarders buying up all the units to sell them themselves. An artificially driven "demand" tends to drive up the prices from the supplier. Basic supply and "demand." Who's to say whether Dish sees an unexpected demand, whether real or not, and then decides to raise the price on the next or future batch?
:popcorn ;)

Black Screen OTA issues solved.
It was multipath issues where the signal would drop way low for just 2 seconds and then the driver would after a while crash requiring you to reboot the receiver.
For me Multipath is worse during Rain, Snow, or Heavy Fog.
Solution: I a CHannel Master 7777 amp which is the same as a RCA Amp TVPRAMP1R for $29 at the local Menards Hardware store.
I now get 100% on all channels except the two that were giving me multipath issues and causing the issue, they went form an average of 65% to 75%
I have now gong a long time with NO black screen issues.

I kind of thought it was multi-path rejection causing the black screen problems. Same thing will happen on the vip receivers with either the module or the built in tuner . The only difference is that the Vip receivers will have a sign popup saying : lost the signal . Maybe the hopper needs to have a pop up saying Lost signal due to low signal strength .

When I am viewing a channel that loses signal, it has the loss of signal pop up just like it did on my 722.....

I kind of thought it was multi-path rejection causing the black screen problems. Same thing will happen on the vip receivers with either the module or the built in tuner . The only difference is that the Vip receivers will have a sign popup saying : lost the signal . Maybe the hopper needs to have a pop up saying Lost signal due to low signal strength .

It does have a pop up when you lose signal

Is it possible to have an install without the OTA and then have me plug in the OTA module when it arrives/is available without having a dish tech do the OTA install?

Your installer will not have the OTA on the truck..as mine did not and said none of them do. You're just going to have to be patient. If you can't, cancel the install.

Is it possible to have an install without the OTA and then have me plug in the OTA module when it arrives/is available without having a dish tech do the OTA install?

Absolutely. I got my OTA adapter in the mail, attached my OTA antenna to it, plugged it into a USB port on my Hopper, my TV screen told me the Hopper recognized it. The Hopper needs to reboot itself upon recognition, you press OK and it reboots. Then you go into Menu, Settings, Diagnostics, OTA Locals, Scan. It scans your OTA channels, you save it and you're off and running. No need for a truck roll for it at all.....

I don't know if anyone HAS had OTA with the install, since the Hopper has to be installed and activated before you can order one (when in stock).

It does have a pop up when you lose signal

When I have had black screens on my ota channels and it shows on all of them, there has been no pop up . When it has been an ota channel that loses signal , I get a pop up. The difference is that one is software related problems and the other is loss in ota signal due to multi-path rejection problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)