FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

OTA for cable locals

This may be a stupid question. An OTA works fine for an OTA antenna for my locals broadcast from Ft. Smith Ark (even thought I am in Oklahoma but DMA rules don't let me get Tulsa locals on Dish). However, I can get an additional 9 channel local cable connection (SD) for locals out of Tulsa for better sports broadcast from Oklahoma. Will the OTA usb module pick up the cable connection channels or does it have to be an OTA antenna? Can you use 2 modules on one Hopper? Thanks in advance.

No, to get channels from the cable TV feed would require a QAM tuner. The Hoppers OTA module doesn't have one (I'll bet it's there actually, just off in software). Only one module per Hopper too. And you can't hook them up to Joeys either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I ordered 1 yesterday Thursday 1/23/2014 and am getting it Monday 1/27/2014 and may order another one after I see how it works and if it gets a lot of channels that I can pick up on TV OTA!! :)

I love having OTA on my Hoppers. Particularly for the weather channels. Real weather channels, unlike The Whether or Not Channel.

How does it work for you? Good or so-so and Thanks for update!! :)

Works well. Overall it's great except I'm irked that you can't add individual stations (yet.) It pulls in weaker stations well and does pretty well on handling multipath, just keep in mind, it's only as good as the antenna you hook it up to :) .

and, you can only use one on a single Hopper.... It works on the Hopper only, not the Joeys although the Joeys will see the OTA when bridged or HIC'd. If you have a single Hopper there is no reason to order a second one...

and, you can only use one on a single Hopper.... It works on the Hopper only, not the Joeys although the Joeys will see the OTA when bridged or HIC'd. If you have a single Hopper there is no reason to order a second one...

Good point. It's a shame you can't plug in more than one.

Thanks for help and info Bobby appreciate it alot!! :)

If you have 2 HWS or hoppers , you need a 2nd OTA if you wish to watch live OTA programming on each HWS or hopper. If you only wish to view recorded OTA programming , then 1 OTA is sufficient.

I am not finding this ota-tuner. coulld you send me the complete address for purchase?
Go to the Dish website and make sure you're logged in to your account. Then try this link.

As already mentioned, if you don't have a Hopper, the module won't show up. I'm guessing it's a "smart" listing of products - it shows me only (1) remote, the one for the Hopper/Joey, and it shows a power supply for a Joey. I realize that other receivers don't have separate power supplies, but you might expect to see multiple remotes.

I ordered one today. After messing around with a friend's Tivo Roamio, I decided I really preferred the Hopper for a number of reasons. Adding the OTA module will allow me to get another tuner for Sunday nights, when I sometimes cannot record everything I want to.

Question: if I lose Sat signal, can I switch to OTA and watch those channels? I recall not always being able to do that on my old 722.

Thanks,
Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)