First Looks: The Verizon Motorola Droid

I miss the old unlock screen already :( Other than that looks about the same, though maybe a bit snapier. The Apps screen doesn't open up all the way anymore for me (bleech). Also I can't remember if I saw this before or not, but there's an option greyed out under Text to Speech to add voices. Maybe something better than the current speak and spell :)

-Mike

The calendar widget looks different; I saw that the apps screen doesn't go all the way up, but that is actually ok for me. I don't mind the new unlock screen, but I didn't mind the old one. Thought it was kind of funky.

BAsed on my unscientific extrapolation of the data in the posts :) the Moto Droid is an excellent device. My new every 2 doesn't kick in until May and being the cheap SOB that I am I will more than likley wait until then to change phones, unless VZ comes out with areally good promotion like by one get one free or something like that. Having said that where do those in the know see this device going? Do you think it has staying power, like the iPhone?, or will it fade into obscurity? Will those that have written aps for the iPhone port them over to the Android OS or will they wait and see what Apple does when their contract with ATT is up?

Ross

okay I am finally getting a droid back (I didnt go right away as I was really enjoying the touch pro 2) anyways I decided on taking up the droid eris offer as I have really enjoyed sense ui and I think android plus sense ui would be perfect..I will be patient as next month the update comes to give the eris google nav! so just thought I would drop you guys this and let you know sometime in the early part of next week my droid returns, in a different form :)

(does this still make my a phone whore mike even though i am still sticking with android? :D)

okay I am finally getting a droid back (I didnt go right away as I was really enjoying the touch pro 2) anyways I decided on taking up the droid eris offer as I have really enjoyed sense ui and I think android plus sense ui would be perfect..I will be patient as next month the update comes to give the eris google nav! so just thought I would drop you guys this and let you know sometime in the early part of next week my droid returns, in a different form :)

(does this still make my a phone whore mike even though i am still sticking with android? :D)

Slut or whore, if you'd prefer. :)

Well Mike you will be happy to know I cancelled that droid eris and just got my droid, I mean really after playing around with one at the store...I couldnt do it, the screen of the motorola and the gps...it just felt wrong to leave it, and like I told you in a pm for the first time with a phone I havent felt like I needed more, the motorola droid has everything and more coming for it!

Well Mike you will be happy to know I cancelled that droid eris and just got my droid, I mean really after playing around with one at the store...I couldnt do it, the screen of the motorola and the gps...it just felt wrong to leave it, and like I told you in a pm for the first time with a phone I havent felt like I needed more, the motorola droid has everything and more coming for it!

I knew you'd see the light. :)

Its hard to get that phone whore out of you, but you are making progress. ;) Merry Christmas!

My wife got the HTC Eris over the weekend. She looked at the Moto version, said it looked too "90's" (??) and kept playing with the Eris... I realize the Moto might be the "better" phone but to her, aesthetics factors in and the Moto lost there. As far as people looking at the Droids, the HTC seemed much more popular too.

Now I have to figure out how I can get one. She's the primary on the account and I just got a new phone about a year ago. VZW will only offer me month-to-month pricing and wants over $400 for an Eris !! :(

Hall,

I was told by the Verizon people that I could get a new phone at the upgrade price after just one year under contract. I am looking to get the Moto Droid next month.

I think that's true for the primary line. All I can do is check the website every once in a while.... Not sure if they ever run promotions related to this either. I'll bet anytime my wife (the primary line) re-ups our contract, it pushes the secondary line's time back or "adjusts" it. Think about it: We've just been re-upped for two more years. They know that *I* can do nothing regarding my phone.

A co-worker ran into similar circumstances.... As his term was ending, he had lots of "free" phones to pick from and great prices on lots of other phones. The day his contract ended and he was month-to-month, the phones got more expensive. Two ways to look at it: 1) Verizon didn't have incentive to offer great deals as he could now walk away or 2) they should be offering him even better deals to keep him from now walking away. They chose option # 1.

Will give them a call on the way to get lunch...

I got mine on the annual upgrade; I had to pay $299 - and then got a $100 rebate visa card back; AND the cheap-bas$%^ds charged me a $20 fee to be able to use the annual upgrade.

Ramy - if your new every 2 is in February, I'd wait. And save the money. :)

I got mine on the annual upgrade; I had to pay $299 - and then got a $100 rebate visa card back...
I wondered if you (and stuart) were paying a fair amount out-of-pocket. That happens to phone whores, doesn't it ? :) I won't do that myself ... too cheap.

I couldn't even make my wife wait and order the ERIS through VZW's website and pay $49 (period). No rebates, nothing... No... she had to have it NOW, at the store. I think it was $199, with a $100 gift/debit card. I also think she got a $50 annual/NE2 discount, so in the end it was the same $49, so oh well.

I wondered if you (and stuart) were paying a fair amount out-of-pocket. That happens to phone whores, doesn't it ? :) I won't do that myself ... too cheap.

I couldn't even make my wife wait and order the ERIS through VZW's website and pay $49 (period). No rebates, nothing... No... she had to have it NOW, at the store. I think it was $199, with a $100 gift/debit card. I also think she got a $50 annual/NE2 discount, so in the end it was the same $49, so oh well.

:D :D

To be honest, I got the rebate very quickly; under three weeks, so it wasn't so bad. I had made the mistake of switching to a WinMobile phone in early 2009, and as a result, I had to pay the price. :)

I am on a corporate account so I got my rebate instant...and I had used my wifes upgrade as she was due for one, but didnt want a new phone.

To be honest, I got the rebate very quickly; under three weeks, so it wasn't so bad.
Hmmm, maybe I'll take the $100 rebate and subsidize a phone... Still going to call and see what options I might have, i.e. switching plans from an older one (??).
I had made the mistake of switching to a WinMobile phone in early 2009, and as a result, I had to pay the price.
Same here... Wouldn't be so bad but I didn't get a touch-screen WinMo phone. Between the iPod touch and the Eris, I've been bitten !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)