Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2008 was a great year for SatelliteGuys.US over the last year we broke more news about the satellite industry then any other Satellite Forum! Many of our news items started off as "Rumors" and in 2008 the majority of our rumors came true!

Many people know (including the staff of other forums) that for the real scoop on whats happening in the Satellite industry they need to come to SatelliteGuys! (The recent Dish Network Price Increase is proof of this) ;)

We are looking forward to the upcoming CES show, this year our CES coverage will come to you from a total of 8 of our staff members! This will be our largest staff event ever! Other sites will only have one or two folks there!

In addition to our large staff presence at CES since it is the Consumer Electronics Show will be pushing the limits of technology, by using electronic equipment to push it to the limits to bring you to the show floor! This coverage will even include a number of LIVE events, some of the things planned have never been done at CES before! For more details on some of those events STAY TUNED!

Since we are known for our rumors lets start off 2009 with what we belive will be a big topic not only at CES but a big topic here at SatelliteGuys (and other forums) over 2009. Its a receiver that was announced at the 2008 Team Summit show as the 722s which eventually became known as the 922 recevier.

The 922 will be Dish Networks swiss army knife of satelilite receivers, building in the technology of Sling Media into a Dish Network HD DVR. Imagine a Dish Network HD DVR and throw into it a Slingbox, a Slingcatcher, some internet functionality and a new user interface which takes full advantage of a customers HDTV. Put it all together and you have what we have been calling a 922!

Now because Dish just recently decided to rename all of their satellite receivers the 922 might have a new name such as the "Super Duper Dual Tuner HD DVR with Sling Technology" or something like that. (Have I told you I really don't like the new names... but I digress..)

Anyways since we are known for our rumors lets kick off 2009 with a good one, take a look at the screen shot below, it is believed that what you are looking at there is the very first known screenshot of the upcoming 922. As you can see the screen is not done yet, but gives you a good idea of the look they are going for with the redisigned interface.

Remembering that this screenshot shows an unfnished design tell us what you think about it, what you like and what you don't. Also feel free to share any ideas you might have or changes you would make.

In addition a picture of what appears to be the 922 remote. (Sorry its not the best picture) :)

A big THANK YOU to our supporting pub members for making all of this possible. For our pub members we are working on something special from CES. (The question is will the technology work in the room we are in... and thats all I can say about that for now... :)) If your not a supporting Pub Member yet but would like to help support us so that we can continue to do things like this please CLICK HERE for more info.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• 922guide.png
    922guide.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 6,337
  • 922remote.png
    922remote.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 4,245
Last edited:
The 922 looks great...I'd definately upgrade the 622 to one of these (given an opportunity) but the question is...will we actually see this box released sometime in 2009?

Given Dish's track record, and considering all the potential new features, I'll put the over/under on launch delays @ 25 and an actual launch sometime in summer/fall of 2010. (To new customers only of course...us existing subs might be allowed one by Spring 2011 ;))

But I digress...

The new guide interface looks nice, but I think they are wasting screen real-estate by centering the current channel image at the top and placing the program info where they are. Given a choice, I'd still rather see the program info in the top-right, or top-left, and a couple more channels per screen at the bottom.

As for the remote...yuk...I think I'll stick with my 880!

Last edited:
new remote

actually the remote looks like it has a touchpad in the middle of it and did you notice the buttons on the guide screen for fontsize? perhaps the 922 will have a built in mouse?

or perhaps that is the sling guide on a pc????

Last edited:
actually the remote looks like it has a touchpad in the middle of it and did you notice the buttons on the guide screen for fontsize? perhaps the 922 will have a built in mouse???
Yes it is supposed to have a touchpad and also its supposed to have a trigger on the bottom that acts like a mouse button. :)

I can't wait to see it in person next week!

Love the Guide look! Let's roll that out to the ViP receivers for testing first! ;)

Hey whatever happened to the modular centralized multi-room setup that was rumored a year or two ago? I recall reading about a design where you could snap in additional receiver and DVR modules as needed, and there being a very simple dumb box in each room with the outputs and the remote interface. Is that idea dead?

Hey whatever happened to the modular centralized multi-room setup that was rumored a year or two ago? I recall reading about a design where you could snap in additional receiver and DVR modules as needed, and there being a very simple dumb box in each room with the outputs and the remote interface. Is that idea dead?
Thats what "fios" does..so its not dead

I agree with Corvette. Too much wasted real estate at the top. I like to see many more rows of info for the other channels.

The remoteth looketh horribleth.

PS Scott, you mispoke - it is not a "recent Dish price increase", it is "recent information about a future Dish price increase". Prices are still the same for the next month...

Hey Scott, There's been a lot of talk about Dish coming out with a tuner designed for Microsoft Media Center, could you ask someone at the show about that and try to get an official or unofficial statement on that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)