First Sony Blu-Ray Recorder Won’t Play Protected Blu-Ray Movies

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3744

Sony's first Blu-Ray disk drive won't be able to play protected movies released on the Blu-Ray format

Sony has said that the company’s first Blu-Ray disc drive won’t play protected movies released under the Blu-Ray format. Sony unveiled its first Blu-Ray computer disk drive, the BWU-100A, this year at the companies “Experience More 2006” event held yesterday in Sydney, Australia.

Sony officials said copy protection and software development issues were behind its decision to release the drive without movie playback support. Among the reasons given was the fact that Blu-Ray commercial content can only be played with HDCP compliant hardware and that currently very few devices actually support HDCP.

Sony is optimistic that the issues will be resolved “soon” but does not have a specific time table available as to when that might take place. The company emphasizes that the drive is still useful as a mass storage device as each single layer BD-R is able to hold approximately 25GB and the drive is still able to play non-encrypted content. The BWU-100A has a write speed of 2x, is able to burn both single and dual layer BD-R and BD-RE disks and will be available later this month for around $750 USD.

Seriously: is there anything Sony did not f*ck up in the past 4-5 years?:D

So, can you play HD DVD movies right now on your computer? I thought there were already 2 laptops (one HD DVD and one Blu-Ray) that both played movies. Does this limitation only apply to the stand alone drives?

-John

If I read this right this is a BluRay Harddrive for the computer. It will be able to record information onto a BluRay disc in single format. Why would you expect it to be able to play BluRay movies? The movie studios would never go for that. Technically, Sony could allow this unit to play BluRay movies but from a legal standpoint they could not.

That is why movie studios will shortly require a HDMI port for viewing all high def movies. I think that this allowing a HD movie to be viewed over the componet ports without downrezzing is going to be a short-lived agreement.

Question, does Toshiba's HD-DVD drive in their laptop allow for HD recording? Answer -- no. It allows for recording in standard DVD or CD. It allows playback of HD movies but you do not get the advantage of a 25gb disc for saving information. Sony took the other path, they were making a medium to provide a bigger disc for saving information - 30gb to be exact. Differant products for doing differant things. Info on

Toshiba's HD-DVD drive here: http://www.physorg.com/news6785.html

Last edited:
I would expect recorders to work just like the current generation of CD & DVD recorders. Both CD & DVD recorders playback commercial CDs & DVDs.

Sounds like they just havent implemented BD+ (or whatever its called) encryption in the software yet.

-John

More Sony dis-information

T2k said:
Seriously: is there anything Sony did not f*ck up in the past 4-5 years?:D

What's even more disturbing is the amount of dis-information Sony is shoveling around.

"Sony officials said copy protection and software development issues were behind its decision to release the drive without movie playback support. Among the reasons given was the fact that Blu-Ray commercial content can only be played with HDCP compliant hardware"

Complete Bull Manure! ALL announced BD players support playback at full 1080 resolution over component output, which absolutely not HDCP compliant. Sony has been touting the PS3 with BD drive as a $600 Blu-ray player. The PS3 will have absolutely no HDCP complaint hardware, only non-HDCP component output.

HDCP compliance has nothing to do with their decision not to enable "commercial BD disc" playback on this drive. And, one has to ask - if "commercial BD discs" cannot be played on this drive, can discs recorded on this drive be played in a "commercial" stand alone BD player?

I hope Sony has not f*cked everything up for the past 4-5 years - my Sony 57" rear projection HDTV is only 2 years old! :p But when it comes to formats (UMD, BD, etc.) they clearly have their head up their rear. :mad:

JoeSp said:
If I read this right this is a BluRay Harddrive for the computer. It will be able to record information onto a BluRay disc in single format. Why would you expect it to be able to play BluRay movies? The movie studios would never go for that. Technically, Sony could allow this unit to play BluRay movies but from a legal standpoint they could not.

That is why movie studios will shortly require a HDMI port for viewing all high def movies. I think that this allowing a HD movie to be viewed over the componet ports without downrezzing is going to be a short-lived agreement.

Question, does Toshiba's HD-DVD drive in their laptop allow for HD recording? Answer -- no. It allows for recording in standard DVD or CD. It allows playback of HD movies but you do not get the advantage of a 25gb disc for saving information. Sony took the other path, they were making a medium to provide a bigger disc for saving information - 30gb to be exact. Differant products for doing differant things. Info on

Toshiba's HD-DVD drive here: http://www.physorg.com/news6785.html

Joe,

for the love of God, at least read the original post before you jump to post some hilarious "explanation".

Something even worse was announced by Sony today. For the OEM Blu-Ray drives for computers, you can't play back *any* blu-ray movies from it, protected or un-protected for the time being.

For the OEM Blu-Ray drives for computers, you can't play back *any* blu-ray movies from it, protected or un-protected for the time being.

Don't worry if sony allowed playback I am sure Microsoft would break playback in windows anyways with a "critical" update.

if (drive==bluray){
crap_self()
}

My statement about the Toshiba drive not allowing for storage on a HD-DVD disc stands. It will only store on standard DVD or CD not HD-DVD. The BluRay on the other hand will store on a BluRay disc and this includes recording of HD input.

With a computer most businesses would rather have the additional storage (25gb single layer now to 4.+ GB for DVD. That is alot of storage space for a business. This will move to 50gb this winter when the discs become available.

Since Toshiba RD-A1 is already available in Japan (and it writes both single-layer and dual-layer HD DVD-Rs), it means that Toshiba already has a pickup capable of doing that, and it shouldn't be too long before we see it in computer drives. ;)

No bias, I would rather see both units show their HD movies and be able to record on the meadia too. I can see what is going on. I would rather watch a movie on my 58" Pioneer Elite than and computer screen. I can see why those who travel alot might like the ablility to watch a HD movie on their laptop. I can also see the business applications of being able to record on 15 to 50 gb on one disc.

As for bias, I will be buying a PS3 when it comes out (I like the games on it) but I am seriously looking at HD-DVD. However, until there is a HD-DVD that has a 1.3 HDMI outlet I will not be buying. My next receiver will be a HDMI 1.3 and so will my next HDTV. When I shell out money for a HD player I need to have that 1.3 standard included (as will be the case on the PS3 $599 player).

For the same reason I might by a XBOX360 (games that will be coming -- Halo3, Mass Effect, Command and Conquer3-maybe).

On the PS3, GT the real HD one. Motorstorm -- the preview of the physics is sick!
Devil May Cry4 -- I really like this series. There are more, I also would't mind the cheap BluRay drive. I probably will buy a HD-DVD drive as soon as one comes out with HDMI 1.3 on it. I like to have all my bases covered.

System I will not be buying -- the Wii. Too kiddie for me. No change in graphics, just more memory , a little faster CPU then the Gamecube and some crazy controllers. No kids -- do not desire.

Personally as both a Professional Photographer and Systems Administrator I would
never want to trust 25GB - 50GB of data to a DVD for any type of permanent
storage. With 500gb SATA drives available now and 1 TB drives around the corner I really do not
CURRENTLY see the benefit of a recordable HD-DVD or Blu-Ray device
especially with the BR disks so susceptable to scratching. While this may be
something great in the future, at $700+ I will wait. I can buy a TON of storage for
that price and if it is HD for HDTV playback.. copy to HD and stream to TV via HTPC.
Just my $.02 worth.

Try to restore anything after you dropped that hard drive...
Our weekly backup is around 4-5TB - I would NEVER put it on either optical or a hard drive. Tape, that's the only reliable solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)