First time satellite subscriber - what to expect?

talkstr8t

Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Silicon Valley
We're moving to a new home and I'm disgusted with Comcast's offering, so I'm planning to go Dish. Couple of questions:

The home is new construction with two coax lines run from each room to an A/V closet. The builder didn't terminate anything, so all the (bare) coax lines are just bundled into the closet with no distribution panel or such. There is a satellite mount under one of the eaves with cabling to the A/V closet, so it should be an easy install.
  1. How far in advance might I need to schedule the install?
  2. Will the installer put ends on the cables and put in a minimal splitter to support the rooms he's installing?
  3. Do I need to use the second coax line for the 722's 2nd TV output, or can it multiplex that signal onto either the coax the satellite is coming in on or a coax which is carrying an OTA signal?
  4. Will the installer put up an OTA antenna for me (or can I pay him or tip him to do so)? Would the satellite mount typically be able to support a small UHF antenna?
  5. Anything else I should know before I call dishstore.net to arrange the install?
Thanks!

Talk

Just call in to schedule, have to see what times are open. Could be short or long depending on your area. The installer will crimp ends on the cable he uses to install the system along with splitters, diplexors, etc. If DPP equipment is used only one line will need to feed the 722 thus the other line can be used for tv2 or ota. To answer your question though it is possible to diplex tv2 or ota via a sat line. Causes no problems. The installer will install OTA but details vary. Claude at the Dishstore will answer all these questions more specifically and make sure your happy with it.

We are currently about 2-3 days in most areas.

As far as the OTA antenna, if there is satellite HD Locals then the OTA antenna is not necessary and there is no way for us to setup to get one installed. If there are no HD Locals, then we do have a few options available to install an OTA antenna, usually they start at $49 to $109.

To do the OTA antenna, its an option in the order entry tool but not all my sales people know about it so its best to ask for me directly when you call.

All the other things you mentioned should be part of a typical installation.

If OTA channels are available in your area, then definately get the OTA antenna. You will be able to use it as a 3rd tuner for your DVR, and you will likely get channels that Dish does not carry in HD in your area. For me that means PBS, CW, & MyNet, along with a 2nd market and a handful of independents.

I would agree with Cyclone. I never even thought about OTA but I used it all the time on my 622 as a third tuner, not to mention that the HD channels via OTA are much better than the quality on E*, at least in my area.

2. Yes, the installer will terminate cables.

3. I'd use one cable for the 722, using Dish Pro Plus with a separator, and backfeed TV2 with diplexers. Then I'd use the other cable for OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)